167 replies to this topic

#31 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

I had mine re-regulated and de-magnetized. I was furious, just like you. Now it works great. I think we have all mentioned before that a battery-driven watch will prove more accurate. The precision within a few seconds is acceptable for mechanical watches. One cannot find a battery shop when one is on a ship or offshore for weeks at a time, or somewhere deep in the Congo where there aren't even telephones.

Enjoy your watch HR. It will need tuning every now and then, but so does a Ferrari or Aston Martin :tup:

Cheers,

4A

#32 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

Return the watch for a refund; this Rolex is not for you.

:tup: I was wanting this watch for years, Dell. Now that I have it I don't want to part with it inspite of it 'underperforming' what I'd been wearing for a dozen years before.

I suppose i'll re-regulate it directly w Rolex head office.

4 Aces, you say you de-magnetized it. Can you (or Dell or VM or c3) elaborate on that? What's the difference between re-regulation and de-magnitization when it comes to fixing this Submariner.

#33 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear about your frustrations, HildebrandRarity. I was perhaps a little naive when I bought my Seamaster in regards to the accuracy of the time it would keep (this is the first automatic movement watch I owned). I wear my watch almost 24/7 with the exception of working out or doing some other outdoor activities. I find myself tweaking the time about once a week on average. Nothing major, just a minor adjustment here & there. I don't even think about it much anymore, it's just something that I do.

#34 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

4 Aces, you say you de-magnetized it. Can you (or Dell or VM or c3) elaborate on that? What's the difference between re-regulation and de-magnitization when it comes to fixing this Submariner.

First, if you have a reputable AD, I would advise them of the issues you have with the watch. My AD is Ben Bridge and they are very reputable and have people that are certified by Rolex to perform some work on Rolex watches. If the AD can not fix it, then they will send it on to Rolex. Expect anywhere from 4-6 weeks. This is because they will want to check the watch in various positions to ensure it is within spec. It is a good idea to establish a good relationship with a reputable AD. If you feel that your AD is slimy, then deal with one of the Rolex centers directly. Dell or VM can tell you more.

Second. Mechanical watches are subject to magnetization unless you buy an anti-magnetic watch. I believe Hamilton came up with the first anti-magnetic watch. Rolex made a vintage watch, the Milgauss, which has recently been re-released. These are watches for folks who work in areas where they will be exposed to magnetic fields. Typically engineers, machinists, various types of chemical and manufacturing plants, etc. In my case, I tossed my Rolex into my tank bag that sits on my motorcycle fuel tank. I forgot that magnets are what secure the bag to the metal tank, instead of the traditional straps. My watch started speeding up, then slowing down, then speeding up, then it just died. Ben Bridge, my AD, sent it off to their own Rolex certified staff who then demagnetized the watch, regulated it, and then sent it back. The watch has been working perfectly. The turnaround was 6 weeks. I wore my Timex in the interim :tup:

You've got a good watch, you are going to love it even more, the more you wear it.

Cheers,

4A

#35 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

Return the watch for a refund; this Rolex is not for you.

:( I was wanting this watch for years, Dell. Now that I have it I don't want to part with it inspite of it 'underperforming' what I'd been wearing for a dozen years before.... 4 Aces, you say you de-magnetized it. Can you (or Dell or VM or c3) elaborate on that? What's the difference between re-regulation and de-magnitization when it comes to fixing this Submariner.

A couple of further thoughts, then.

This is your dream watch, which is really what we're talking about here. You "feel" a passion for it. That's gonna put you in a different place from the guy who buys for investment, or the one who is anchored in pure logic. It also puts you in the same company me. :tup:

On the watch Forums, you'll hear terms like "soul" used to connect w/ this passion for a mechanical time piece. That doesn't fit well for me, but I would say that you might benefit from looking at your watch as a "personality." The nature of mechanicals is that they are produced for the "average" person, but perform specific to the person who wears it. So, your 14060M would show different accuracy based on me wearing it than it would w/ you. By extension from what I've written above, you can start to see why.

Knowing this, I start out any new (mechanical) watch acquisition w/ curiosity. "What's this one going to be like?" I'll wear it as my primary piece for at least a month, tracking it against the US Naval Observatory Master Clock one to three times per day, but not adjusting it. That gives me its baseline. From there I can now play w/ orientations when its off my wrist (thank my wife for that: Before we were married, I slept w/ my watch on; but no more, except when I camp). I've never had a watch run slower than -1 second per day. If it's a non-date, I'd set it 6 minutes fast and re-set it every New Year's Eve. As a practical matter, I never wear just one watch that long, so I'm back to the USNO Clock whenever I rewind an off-wristed piece for new duty on my adventures. Thus, I've adopted the attitude that this simply furthers the "fun" in owning that particular watch, and take satisfaction in knowing that I know it so intimately.

re Magnetizing your watch, it doesn't sound to me like you've managed to do that, nor that your watch is, indeed, magnetized, based on what you've shared. If it were magnetized, I'd expect to see extreme and inconsistent time keeping variations; way beyond what I'm reading from you. And, as Four Aces' response implies, you almost have to put a little effort into it to magnetize a Rolex on your own.

Regulation simply involves removing the caseback and turning a little screw, the purpose of which is to (you guessed it!), regulate the watch. To make it run faster or slower. That takes litterally seconds to do. But then the watchmaker (or, preferably, the Rolex Service Center) will hold onto the watch and monitor its time keeping under various conditions over time. So that takes the time it'll be off your wrist.

Keep talking this through w/ us, HR. We're all behind you in these choppy waters. And, as you know, I truly do understand how much this watch means to you. I'm glad you said as much here. :tup::tup:

#36 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:55 AM

Thanks to Dell, 4 Aces, VM and c3.

I totally LOVE the look of my watch as well as totally love the idea that it has some sort of connection to the Connery, Lazenby and early Moore-era James Bond movies (in terms of look, i.e. no date magnifier bubble on the crystal.) And I really LOVE wearing it to work and for sports and for casual, everyday living. So I want to keep it.

I've added the USNO Time Service Department's page to my favourites and am monitoring. I'm laying my watch face down over the next several nights and then changing resting positions there after.

I have a feeling i'm going to end up sending it off to Rolex for a month. We'll see.

:tup: Thanks, gentlemen.

#37 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

On the watch Forums, you'll hear terms like "soul" used to connect w/ this passion for a mechanical time piece. That doesn't fit well for me

Me, I just like my machines: (1) mechanical watch, (2) fast car and (3)motorcycle :tup:

4A

#38 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:18 AM

Thanks to Dell, 4 Aces, VM and c3.

I totally LOVE the look of my watch as well as totally love the idea that it has some sort of connection to the Connery, Lazenby and early Moore-era James Bond movies (in terms of look, i.e. no date magnifier bubble on the crystal.) And I really LOVE wearing it to work and for sports and for casual, everyday living. So I want to keep it.

I've added the USNO Time Service Department's page to my favourites and am monitoring. I'm laying my watch face down over the next several nights and then changing resting positions there after.

I have a feeling i'm going to end up sending it off to Rolex for a month. We'll see.

:tup: Thanks, gentlemen.

Keep the watch, HR. My Planet Ocean has gone back to Omega for the third time in seven months because it was consistently running 30 seconds fast per day, which drove me nuts. It's still at Omega as I type this. I should get it back sometime this week or next. If, by some cruel twist of fate, it's still not right, I will hand it back to the Omega Sales Rep and tell him to send it to Omega HQ in Bienne, Switzerland to get it sorted out once and for all. I hope, for their sake, that it won't come to this.
Now, despite all the headaches with this watch in recent months, it is still my favorite dive watch and I would not hesitate in recommending it to others. I have sold a lot of Omega Co-Axial models and they tend to sell very well and they stay sold. I don't get many coming back for warranty issues.
Send the watch off to Rolex, Hildebrand R. It'll be a quick fix for them...even though it will take them six weeks or so!
You've wanted the watch for so long and, as a Bond fan, you are almost obligated to get one. The non-date Sub (new or vintage) is on my hit list and I will gladly hang up my watch buying shoes when I get my hands on one of these.
Best of luck with it, HR, and remember that it can easily be rectified. However, I understand your frustrations.

VM

#39 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:31 PM

... I totally LOVE the look of my watch....

... The non-date Sub (new or vintage) is on my hit list and I will gladly hang up my watch buying shoes when I get my hands on one of these....

Ironically, I also wrongly felt the same way; but I doubt this will be true for you. Or anyone else, for that matter, who frequents these "James Bond watch" Threads on CBn.

It certainly wasn't for me! (See for example how I plan to commemorate the upcoming Ian Fleming Centenary.) :tup:

PS: When are we gonna get back to seeing some more pictures on this Thread? I'm happy w/ the technical content and mutual support of friends in need, but personal scans can be a great uplifter. Looking for:
  • HildebrandRarity Rolex Submariner
  • Vodka Martino Omega Planet Ocean
  • And more!

Edited by Dell Deaton, 12 May 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#40 condor1337

condor1337

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hi guys. I'm new to this site and been a Bond fan long as i can remember. I remember really wanting the Rolex Sub but couldn't afford one, so settled for a Tag 4000 auto. later down the line i've had many watches including a rolex precision. Anyhow, i turned 40 back in March a feel it's time to save and finally purchase a Submariner. Looked at the Omega PO which is a fantastic watch but i think the sub is for me. Anyone here live in the UK and can recommend where i can get a decent second hand one from?

I will have to try one on obviously first but the 14060M non date looks the best in my eyes.

Any advice appreciated.

#41 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hi guys. I'm new to this site and been a Bond fan long as i can remember. I remember really wanting the Rolex Sub but couldn't afford one, so settled for a Tag 4000 auto. later down the line i've had many watches including a rolex precision. Anyhow, i turned 40 back in March a feel it's time to save and finally purchase a Submariner. Looked at the Omega PO which is a fantastic watch but i think the sub is for me. Anyone here live in the UK and can recommend where i can get a decent second hand one from?

I will have to try one on obviously first but the 14060M non date looks the best in my eyes.

Any advice appreciated.

Welcome to CBn! And thanks for starting out in one of my personal favorite Threads!

Before anything else, don't sell the Heuer brand short. W/in the last few days, I've gotten a lot of information that strongly suggests it as a James Bond watch in at least one film. But that's another story.

My advice on a newer Rolex purchase would be to go for the Submariner Date 16610. It is either the same watch model worn by Timothy Dalton as James Bond in Licence to Kill, or virtually the same. It's one of the most solid in terms of long-term value; it's also virtually unchanged since the late 1980s (look for minor adjustments, such as no lug holes, as Mr. Dalton's model had).

It's part of my permanent collection, never to be sold, often to be worn.

#42 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

I remember really wanting the Rolex Sub but couldn't afford one, so settled for a Tag 4000 auto.

Any advice appreciated.

I also had (and still have) a TAG-Heuer 4000 for a dozen years until I purchased the 14060M this past April 3.

It, to me, was the closest in looks to the Connery, Lazenby and early Moore-era non-date Rolex Submariners, i.e. no date magnifier 'bubble' on the crystal. It looks great and I love the historical connection to the James Bond cinematic canon, but since I last adjusted it at noon on Friday, May 9th, it has lost 48 seconds to the World Clock. As Dell Deaton will tell you, the tollerance on certified models (of which the 14060M is) is -6 to +4 seconds per day. Friday May 9th was my last of three adjusments since April 3rd and the loss in time has been at a beyond-tollerance of about 9.3 seconds per day.

I'm going to be sending it off to Rolex head office for re-regulation and am hoping things will tick like clockwork when it's returned. :tup:

In the meantime i'll wear my trusty battery-operated TAG.

Thought you'd like to know the pros and cons before you ante up for your non-date Sub.

#43 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

I remember really wanting the Rolex Sub but couldn't afford one....

... Thought you'd like to know the pros and cons before you ante up for your non-date Sub.

As if the Posts leading up to this one left any doubt? :tup:

#44 condor1337

condor1337

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I was only looking at resale costs because of the high purchase price.
I still like my 4000 tag but my next purchase is in the balance. I've tried on the Omega 42mm PO
Really nice, and i can just get away with wearing it with my 6.5" wrist.
Question i'm asking myself is the Rolex to me is THE BOND watch. However i could purchase a PO for say

#45 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

[quote name='condor1337' post='870709' date='15 May 2008 - 12:05']Thanks for the replies guys.... Question i'm asking myself is the Rolex to me is THE BOND watch. However i could purchase a PO for say

#46 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

[quote name='Dell Deaton' post='870794' date='15 May 2008 - 21:33'][quote name='condor1337' post='870709' date='15 May 2008 - 12:05']Thanks for the replies guys.... Question i'm asking myself is the Rolex to me is THE BOND watch. However i could purchase a PO for say

#47 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.... Question i'm asking myself is the Rolex to me is THE BOND watch....

Save for the Rolex. If you want a Submariner, you're looking for....

... what i would really like, is a Rolex Sub with the new and improved Glidelock clasp. At the present moment would it be possible to replace the standard clasp/bracelet with the new Glidelock? And any idea on the cost? ...

Check for a PM from me.

#48 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

[quote name='Dell Deaton' post='870794' date='15 May 2008 - 21:33'][quote name='condor1337' post='870709' date='15 May 2008 - 12:05']Thanks for the replies guys.... Question i'm asking myself is the Rolex to me is THE BOND watch. However i could purchase a PO for say

#49 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:04 PM

To follow up from earlier, I was received at Rolex's head office at 3:30~pm on Friday the 16th (yesterday) and told them (as i'd done on the phone) that my Submariner 14060M had been losing about 8 to 9 seconds a day since being re-set exactly to the world clock on the internet a week earlier on May 9. I showed them my papers and card with its matching serial number and mentioned that this was the third re-setting since my purchase on April 3rd; that i'd lost about 1m 4sec in exactly a week; and that I found that amount of loss in time unacceptable.

They politely yet matter-of-factly said that it's not out of the ordinary to have owners come in within the first year for tweaks as the watch has to get accustomed to an individual's lifestyle and wearing habits. So they took the watch to measure its 'heartbeat' and said that if it was to be a straight forward adjustment, then they could fix the problem within 20 minutes. If not, then i'd have to leave the Submariner with them for about 10 business days.

Sure enough, within 5 minutes of me sitting in their reception area, the girl said that the watchmaker said I was right. The Submariner was indeed losing about 8 to 9 seconds a day and, surprisingly, they said that they could re-regulate it right then and there.

I had the watch back by 4:00 pm and was told that it had been re-set and re-regulated to 'gain' anywhere from 0 to 3 seconds per day.

The watchmaker came out as I had a couple of extra questions which the girl could not answer, and one thing he did say is that I should not compare my mechanical watch to an atomic clock. It's an improper comparison. He then shook my hand good-bye as, I imagine, a Gestapo officer would with a possibly diseased superior* and then went back to where he came from.

So there you are. I'm monitoring as of this morning in relation to the US Naval Observatory's Master Clock and will let you know how the re-regulation pans out.

* Well, not quite...but you get the gist. :tup:

Attached Files

#50 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

You asked for pics? This is the best I can do:

Attached Files

#51 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

Anyone else see the current issue of hr: Watches & Luxury Lifestyle, w/ "Spy Watches: James Bond vs. Reality" on its cover?

In addition to missing out on the fact that it was Ian Fleming, himself, who invented the 007 gadget watch, I was surprised by the number of instances of weak research in references.

What a wasted opportunity! :tup:

#52 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

More pics for Dell:

Attached Files

#53 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

More pics for Dell....

Thanks for sharing these.

Now it's time to get that Sub wet! :tup:

Posted Image

#54 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

More pics for Dell:

I enjoyed them too.

What is that photo/postcard of? The one with a statue. Looks Asian.

#55 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

What is that photo/postcard of? The one with a statue. Looks Asian.

Government House, Nassau, The Bahamas. In honour of Ian Fleming's Quantum Of Solace. That's where Bond goes to the small dinner party and hears the story of the heart-breaking and distructive marriage which leads the Governor to declare his 'Law Of The Quantum Of Solace."

It's also mentioned in Ian Fleming, Kevin McLory and Jack Whittingham's Thunderball.

I was there (as well as The One & Only Ocean Club, Bay Street, Coral Harbour, The British Colonial Hotel and 'Palmyra') in February 2007 with my lady and took some pics of the Governor's mansion.

Nassau and Paradise Island are a must visit for fans of the cinematic and literary James Bond. A total MUST.

This summer it will be Northern Italy! :tup: Venice, Siena & Tuscany and the Lake district. Can't wait!

#56 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:52 PM

Since we've gotten into discussions of precision accuracy for our mechanical (automatic) watches here, I thought it would be helpful to Post the results of some trackings I've done over the years on my own Omega and Rolex models. The current list is on my May 27 Blog.

Specifically, here's what you'll find so far:
Disclaimer: Your results may vary. :tup:

#57 Sigma7

Sigma7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

Not really on watches as such, but has anyone seen or got a copy of the Omega editon of the DAD "Bond On set" like the one in the attached pic?

http://img.photobuck...64/DSC02155.jpg

#58 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

Since we've gotten into discussions of precision accuracy for our mechanical (automatic) watches here, I thought it would be helpful to Post the results of some trackings I've done over the years on my own Omega and Rolex models. The current list is on my May 27 Blog.

Specifically, here's what you'll find so far:

Disclaimer: Your results may vary. :tup:

Great news...Even after re-regulation, I was still losing about 3.3 to 3.4 seconds per day...until I got back from Italy two-and-a-half weeks ago.

Since then, my Rolex Sub has only lost about less than 0.4 seconds per day (almost 3 seconds in 8 days) which is a BIG improvement.

I wonder if the pressure of going to 37,000 feet and back down in an airplane a couple of times had anything to do with it?

#59 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

... I thought it would be helpful to Post the results of some trackings I've done over the years ...
Specifically:

Rolex Submariner 14060M, 2/24/2006-4/1/2006

WOW.

It's been a month since my last post and I can now quite happily advise that my Rolex Sub has neither lost nor gained ANY time to the world clock.

After loosing nearly 9 secs per day and then down to 3 secs/day (after re-regulation) and then to .3 to .4 seconds per day (after a few high altitude flights), i'm at flat. Perfectly flat!

Luvley jubly. :(

#60 chuck3

chuck3

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

here are some shots of my 2201.50.00. -chuck

Attached File  DSC02635e.JPG   27.84KB   37 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by chuck3, 25 October 2008 - 02:08 PM.