2 replies to this topic

#1 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:48 AM

I'm thinking of picking it up when it comes to the states in May. From the people who have read it. Can I have your honest thoughts about the novel and series?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:24 AM

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Sadly, this series seems to have gone a bit overlooked by some Bond fans (maybe the lack of an initial US release had something to do with it), but these two novels so far are well worth seeking out.

If you enjoy Fleming, then I really don't see why you wouldn't enjoy The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel and The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant as well. They both feature strong characters and page-turning plots. In my opinion, the really clever thing Ms. Weinberg has put into play is the connections between current events and the diairies in the novels. I imagine this will be especially evident in the third novel.

#3 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

I also must say that I've really enjoyed the two books so far. As I live in the US, I've actually had to order them via Amazon.co.uk. They're a great series, and in my opinion, they keep to the continuity of the Fleming novels very well, and don't place anyone out of character. My main fear going into the series, was that they were going to reveal Jane (yes, she has a name besides Moneypenny) as being a female 007, a master spy, who you only saw at the office because she was in between missions. Thankfully, this is not the case at all, and on the flip side, they don't make it all about boring secretarial work (no offense to secretaries). And, in one of my favorite little footnotes in the book, Ms. Weinberg reveals what happened to a few of the Bond girls after they left the frame of the novels. But yeah, I definitely recommend picking them up. I just hope I don't have to wait six months before getting my copy of Final Fling, like I did for Guardian Angel, and Secret Servant.