This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Meet Bond's latest babe- Rosamund Pike Interview (SPOILERS)

20 replies to this topic

#1 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 04:40 AM

http://www.thisislon..._text_id=654086

Meet Bond's latest babe

by Linda Das

Rosamund Pike is an elusive girl, no doubt about it. Not just physically (it proves so tricky, interviewing her during her lunch break, that we eventually rearrange the chat for later on that evening) but emotionally, too.

She considers every question lobbed in her direction extremely carefully, before lobbing it back. 'I suppose I do think about things quite a lot,' she admits. 'I'm an only child and only children are quite watchful and curious about other people. It's quite interesting suddenly being thrust into the public eye. I find it fascinating to see how people now perceive me. It's almost as if you become someone's blank canvas.'

Ms Pike would be well advised to get accustomed to celebrity. From November, with the release of the latest 007 film, Die Another Day, in which she stars as the sex-bomb Bond babe Miranda Frost, she'll become public property. You wonder how she'll cope.

Rosamund, 23, is not an obvious choice for a Bond Girl. Extremely slim with beautiful, clear green eyes, great skin and a very posh voice, her dress sense is eccentric (she's wearing a pink lace top, flowery A-line skirt and mid-calf-length boots, even though it is swelteringly hot outside), and her look is strictly English rose. She's seriously bright, too.

The entire package has made her ideal for TV costume dramas such as Wives and Daughters, Foyle's War and, most famously, Love in a Cold Climate, in which she played the unbearably sweet Fanny. But as a Bond Girl? Can Pike cut it as an exotic, unapologetic, all-bust-and-no-knickers baddie?

'Well, it's funny, actually,' she says, 'because people were asking me if I'd ever considered turn-ing the part down and I said, "Absolutely not." When I heard that I'd got the part, I was speechless. There are no appropriate gestures or words at times like that.'

If you know nothing else about Rosamund Pike's role in the next Bond film, you might just possibly know this: it involves a love scene already hailed as the sexiest Bond scene ever. So how did Pike deal with the transition from buttoned-up period drama princess to on-screen vixen?

'It didn't seem sexy at the time,' concedes Pike, 'because you have to wear this really unsexy equipment in order to preserve your modesty. It was my first-ever love scene, too, but it was no more nerve-racking than any of the other scenes I had to do because everyone was very considerate and we started off with a closed set. Pierce [Brosnan] was very gentlemanly about the whole thing and really put me at my ease.

'At one point, we were lying on a bed of furs in the middle of a passionate embrace, and they cut the scene and he looked down at me and joked: "Right, now, who is it today? Halle Berry? Sophie Marceau? Ah yes, it's Rosamund Pike!"'

Is he a good kisser? 'Well, I couldn't possibly comment on that,' she replies, primly. 'But I think Pierce probably has a James Bond kiss, and then something in reserve for his wife. Everyone was wondering how I could do a love scene with him when they said he was old enough to be my father. But he wasn't paternal towards me at all, even though I guess some of his children are the same age as me. He looks very good in the flesh, too, and he was telling me how he's sort of grown into the role of Bond and that when he looks at the first film he did, GoldenEye, he felt he looked like a whippet! But lying in bed with Pierce was the strangest thing. I suddenly thought to myself: "My God, I'm in bed with James Bond and I'm in a position that huge numbers of women around the globe would love to be in."'

Of Halle Berry, the film's leading Bond lady, Pike says that she was 'very considerate of the fact that I was quite young and inexperienced feature-film-wise. She made her character much more street and American, so I made my character much more English, which really worked. Miranda is quite an edgy, uncomfortable character and to tell you the truth, I was quite happy to shed her skin after filming because she is a bit of an unpleasant person.'

But what the boys really want to know is whether she and Halle get to have a big girl tussle during the course of the film? 'Well, maybe,' Pike smiles enigmatically.

Curiously, for someone about to become thoroughly entrenched in the Bond legend, Pike admits that she isn't a Bond aficionado and proves the point by rating Timothy Dalton as Bond, 'although he didn't really get the humour of the part. He took it as a very serious job and approached it as a serious actor.' She adds: 'I didn't grow up on the Bond films at all. We never really watched a great deal of television and we certainly didn't have a video for a long time. My parents are both singers and lived a fairly unusual life, renting farmhouses in Lincolnshire and things like that, so TV was never a big feature of my childhood.

'I was a touch overprotected in a way, and I think Bond films were probably considered too racy for me to watch, which makes it all the more ironic that I'm involved in supposedly the raciest Bond scene ever. I'm quite private about what's going on in my life, but when I told my mum I'd just been to bed with James Bond, all she said to me was: "Lucky girl."

#2 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 04:42 AM

'It's funny, but when you get a part in a Bond film, you automatically assume that you'll get to travel to a load of glamorous locations. As it turned out, I filmed everything at Pinewood. A lot of the action is set in Cuba, but they didn't allow us to film there as they felt Bond was such a huge symbol of capitalism.'

Pike read English Literature at Oxford University (making her the first Oxford-educated Bond Girl), and she shares her alma mater with actresses Emily Mortimer (Scream 3), Jodhi May (The Last of the Mohicans) - and Chelsea Clinton.

'I wouldn't call her a mate as such,' says Pike, cautiously, 'but I was lucky enough to get to know her at Oxford. She was a very bright, interesting girl and a very strong person with strong ideas. We went to see Humble Boy at the Gielgud, and then five or six of us went out for dinner afterwards and we had a nice time, but nothing outrageous happened. It wasn't like we were both falling out of storerooms together or anything. Some of my friends know her quite well and I must admit, I'd quite like to get to know her better. We were going to hook up in New York when I was in the States doing publicity for Bond, but it didn't come off. She did tell me, though, that her dad was really excited when he heard I was doing the Bond film because he's such a massive Bond fan. He's got all the videos.'

Pike admits that she always wanted to be an actress, 'although I always assumed I'd work in the theatre rather than be a Bond Girl.' Most of her childhood was spent in West London. Her parents, Caroline and Julian, were both opera singers, 'who travelled a lot to wherever the work was'.

Well brought up and well educated, it comes as something of a surprise when Pike declares: 'We sometimes had no money at all. I remember times of anxiety, ups and downs, and times of unexpected windfalls when one of my parents landed a good job. But my parents loved what they did and because their work was also their hobby, it taught me that work could be fulfilling and make you happy. I remember lots of good home cooking and home dressmaking, but nothing was ever secure and I don't think it ever will be for them. That's why I can appreciate what is happening to me now as a sheer fantasy, because I know this doesn't happen very often. But my upbringing made me strong, and made me realise that the life of a performer is always going to be difficult and unpredictable.

'My dad took a job in Tuscany once, even though he didn't get paid for it, because he thought it would be fun, and I stayed with him for three months during that summer. It was an amazing experience and instilled in me a sense of beauty that I might not have had otherwise. And I was never looked after by nannies - I always had one of my parents there looking after me.'

An only child, Pike recalls 'longing for company and always being fascinated by people. I suppose my parents didn't have any more children for practical reasons - because they were travelling so much - and I do remember being very sociable whenever I met new people. But being an only child meant that I never had to compete for attention, and I know I am perceived as being very self-confident, so maybe that's where my confidence came from.'

Pike went to boarding school in Bristol - 'which was very exciting, as I was suddenly surrounded by people my own age' - and then on to Wadham College, Oxford. While there, she was offered the part of Lady Harriet in the BBC's adaptation of Wives and Daughters, and then the part of Fanny in Love in a Cold Climate.

'I did actually think about dropping out of Oxford for a while because I knew I didn't want to be an academic, but when I went back after filming, I realised what a great opportunity I would have been missing. Oxford is a wonderful place once you find out all its secrets.'

At Oxford, Pike met her actor boyfriend Simon, 'after he saw me performing in a show'. They have been together for 'a good few years,' although, according to Pike, there are no plans as yet for them to settle down and marry. 'I wouldn't even live with him, because I think I'm quite old-fashioned in that way. I'm quite happy to see where life takes me.'

Life looks like it will be taking Pike far. She already has an agent in America, as well as in London and is set to appear in 'a very edgy, very unglossy film, very unlike Bond' later this year.

Her future looks very bright indeed, and if Hollywood's appetite for dewy English roses persists, we'll be seeing a lot more of this quiet, determined beauty.

The new James Bond film, Die Another Day, is out on 20 November.

#3 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 05:13 AM

So interesting young lady and even more interesting spoilers. Do the following remarks mean that Miranda is indeed that bad bond girl?

Can Pike cut it as an exotic, unapologetic, all-bust-and-no-knickers baddie?

Of Halle Berry, the film's leading Bond lady, Pike says that she was 'very considerate of the fact that I was quite young and inexperienced feature-film-wise. She made her character much more street and American, so I made my character much more English, which really worked. Miranda is quite an edgy, uncomfortable character and to tell you the truth, I was quite happy to shed her skin after filming because she is a bit of an unpleasant person.'

Also quite interesting that her sex scene with Brosnan is being trumpeted as the sexiest ever in the British press (here and in other articles) whereas the sex scene with Brosnan and Berry is the one trumpeted as the sexiest ever in the American press. Let's hope both spins are true. :)

#4 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 05:39 AM

Hell if you ask me. Lets hope we see them both :)

#5 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 08:14 AM

I really start liking Mrs Pike. Even I haven't seen her on screen yet, I'm sure she's a great talent! :)

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 11:35 AM

she could easily become one of my favorite Bond girls...

#7 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 11:48 AM

yes well. She's just the right age... For me that is. :)

#8 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:19 PM

I particularly liked this quote:

'At one point, we were lying on a bed of furs in the middle of a passionate embrace, and they cut the scene and he looked down at me and joked: "Right, now, who is it today? Halle Berry? Sophie Marceau? Ah yes, it's Rosamund Pike!"'  

If I was ever an actor, I'd love to work with Pierce, he sounds like a blast to work with :)

#9 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:30 PM

She is already my favorite bond girl

#10 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 04:31 PM

The women in the new Bond movies always seem to comment on how much more comfortable Pierce makes the love scenes for them. Sometimes actors/actresses talk about their costars like that to help bring more good promotion to the film but apparently Pierce has a way with calming nerves of fellow actors which is pretty cool I think. I too thought it was funny with the joke with "right, now, who is it today? Halle Berry? Sophie Marceau? Ah, yes, its Rosamund Pike!" lol. I think he's more enthused about this Bond movie than he has with any of the others... maybe that 3 years off was the big help there? Or, maybe its just because there's a lot more of what he wanted to play in Bond offered in this one.

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 05:42 PM

Rosamund does seem very well educated, and very well spoken. I am particularly impressed with the care she took in answering her questions. Being an only child and all of that, she reminds me a lot James Bond if he were a female -- good job she is playing someone who works for the MI6!

I am curious though as to what she means by making Miranda more "English." I hope Ms. Pike has not gone into stereotype land for the benefit of the rest of the world. I rather prefer the English as they really are...not as the stereotype holds. And if she does present a young Englishwoman as they really are -- what a wonderful treat for the rest of us!

-- Xenobia

#12 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 06:27 PM

I want to see her scenes with Brosnan now! ;)I think she is going to be the biggest Bond girl yet ,the new Elektra. Her charactor seems really cool and November better come around quick! Oh and i hope her and Halle Berry have a cat fight over James Bond now that is going to be Good! :)

#13 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 12:36 AM

Reading the above interview with Rosamund Pike has just confirmed what I've always thought about her: she is a very talented, elegant, and classy young woman. DAD is lucky to have her for the role of Miranda Frost. And, just like a few of you, she is also my favorite Bond girl (next to Elektra, of course). I sincerely hope to see her star rise even higher in the future. Her interview shows a woman of depth and intelligence, which is a refreshing change from most interviews with celebrities that I've read in which the subjects come off as thimble-deep ninnies.

More power to Rosamund Pike. Here's to her continued success....

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 12:50 AM

Isnt it kinda funny how we had all the Halle Berry news in the first few months of filming, now that the film is almost out, and Halle is off working on X2. We're finally getting to hear from Rosamund, its like Halle was hogging the spotlight (yeah, that sounds about right :))

#15 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 12:56 AM

Nah...Hallie wasn't hogging the spotlight...the spotlight was put on her by the media because she won the Oscar.

Now, in keeping with the theory good things come to those who wait...we get the good thing that is Rosamund Pike!

-- Xenobia

#16 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 01:02 AM

This is the first Bond film since GoldEneye with two strong female leads, that is one of the reasons I am looking forward to this film so greatly (the other reason being I'm a hardcore Bond fan, its my job :)).

I love not knowing which Bond girl is the bad one, it makes the movie that much better seeing it play out on the big screen. Oh, and if you do know, do not spoil it please.

#17 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 01:03 AM

Amen...

#18 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 09:47 AM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
Isnt it kinda funny how we had all the Halle Berry news in the first few months of filming, now that the film is almost out, and Halle is off working on X2. We're finally getting to hear from Rosamund

I suspect it's been a case of EON/MGM shielding Pike from the press till she'd gained a little more experience. I remember thinking that the interviews she gave after the first press conference were a little ropy. She looked really uncomfortable and after that, aside from turning up at parties and premiers, didn't seem much involved with the PR.

From the tone of the article I'd say she's more relaxed now that shooting's over and appears to have gone well.

#19 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 10:48 AM

She said in the article that she's already been to the US to do publicity for Bond? That seems a little 'premature'.

#20 C. Tounes

C. Tounes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 12:33 PM

Nice interview quite interesting thanks for the alert !

#21 iceberg

iceberg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 07:11 AM

"She [Halle Berry] made her character much more street and American, so I made my character much more English, which really worked." -- Rosamund Pike (Miranda Frost)

Interesting. I remember a friend of mine commenting on the contrast of the Bond women in TWINE regarding their portrayals. We have the straightforward, sporty, and sassy American (Christmas Jones) and the cool, mysterious, elegant European (Elektra King). Having spent time in both America and Europe, I found this contrast interesting but ascribed it to the difference between two women, rather than two continents. As Xenobia pointed out earlier, that would be stereotyping. Obviously, American women can also be cool and mysterious, and European women can be straightforward and sassy, as well.

It's just interesting to note that DAD seems to be going for the same contrast between Jinx and Miranda Frost. I thought the comparison worked well in TWINE (and could've worked even better if they hadn't watered-down Christmas Jones's character from the original draft of the script, and had cast someone older than Denise Richards) and I'm sure it'll work magnificently in DAD. This time, both Bond women are ideally cast.