zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
New omnibus edition collecting the Union Trilogy; plus the complete version of 'Blast from the Past'

Posted Image
'High Time To Kill', 'Doubleshot' and 'Never Dream of Dying' plus the complete version of 'Blast from the Past'

Posted Image
Collects 'High Time To Kill', 'Doubleshot' and 'Never Dream of Dying' plus the complete version of 'Blast from the Past'

Posted Image
New collection now due 7 October in UK; 6 November in US

Posted Image
007 omnibus available to order from Amazon.com

Posted Image
Plus, first print run of the 007 omnibus sells out

Posted Image
Limited edition of 2008 James Bond novel omnibus available at Barnes & Noble

Pegasus Books will release a Raymond Benson Bond omnibus in October 2008. The collection will contain the "Union Trilogy"-- High Time To Kill, Doubleshot, and Never Dream of Dying...plus the complete uncut version of Blast From The Past (never before published in English). LINK

#2 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

Fantastic news.
Can't wait to read the full version of Blast From The Past.
Anyone out there who likes the continuation novels and has not tried Benson, now has their chance. He always wrote well-plotted, carefully crafted James Bond 007 novels.
Well done, Pegasus!

#3 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

...plus the complete uncut version of Blast From The Past...

Excellent news - Christmas comes early this year

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

This is just fantastic news! :D

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

...plus the complete uncut version of Blast From The Past...

Excellent news - Christmas comes early this year

Seems like everything Bond fans have wished for is coming true in 2008.

#6 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

cool! I'll finally be able to read Blast From the Past....

... the news title made me think that Benson was returning to Bond... you got my hopes up there!

#7 iexpectu2die

iexpectu2die

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

ooh good times - I did enjoy his 'Union Trilogy' novels!

#8 Glenn

Glenn

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Woohoo.....

Devil May Care and Blast From the Past in the same year. Xmas has come early!

And then in 2009 maybe the short story Live at Five. One can only hope.

But do Pegasus publish in Briatain as well? Not being picky or anything but I always prefer the British covers to the American ones.

#9 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:57 AM

Very nice! I enjoyed The Union trilogy. :D

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:03 AM

Very nice! I enjoyed The Union trilogy. :D

Me too.

What makes this omnibus really stand out for me is that we'll finally be getting that uncut “Blast from the Past”. I've wished for years on here that we'd get some sort of Benson collection with it--looks like this is finally it. :P

#11 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:05 AM

Any possibility they'll issue hardback reprints of the individual Benson novels? Or Christopher Wood's two? So I don't have to mortgage my house to buy them on Alibris?

#12 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:13 AM

Any possibility they'll issue hardback reprints of the individual Benson novels? Or Christopher Wood's two? So I don't have to mortgage my house to buy them on Alibris?

Unlikely for the foreseeable future. This omnibus is pretty much your only option for "new". If it does well there will be a volume 2 so. You can get his books "used" on Amazon for decent prices. I bought all my hardcover US first editions in pristine condition from there for less than 5 bucks a piece. Gardner too.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:35 AM

Did you have this up first, K1? I honestly didn't see it. I went right from RB's email newsletter to my site and posted, then here.

I noticed that Raymond posted a blog on his MySpace page about it. It's great news and (even though I own all those books already) I am curious to see how the unedited version of "Blast From the Past" differs from the one published in Playboy.

I managed to pick up perfect, pristine hardcover copies of all of Benson's James Bond novels for just a little under $20 total. It's one of the reasons why I love Amazon Marketplace :D

#14 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:56 AM

Do you suppose there's any chance that we'll ever see Raymond Benson's short story "The Heart of Erzulie"? I'd snatch up any future volume offering even a peek at this supposed "Fleming pastiche."

#15 Wade

Wade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:48 AM

Unlikely for the foreseeable future. This omnibus is pretty much your only option for "new". If it does well there will be a volume 2 so. You can get his books "used" on Amazon for decent prices. I bought all my hardcover US first editions in pristine condition from there for less than 5 bucks a piece. Gardner too.

Except the hardback of the novelization of TND. Or the novelization of Wood's TSWLM. They are in the stratosphere. And I'm not even looking for mint. Just hardbacks.

#16 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

This is good news as I have always wanted to read the full edition of Blast From The Past and now I'll finally have the chance. That said, however, I would prefer to have a Benson book with solely containing all of his short stories. Still, it will be nice having his short stories in book form. And I agree with MicroGlobeOne that it would be great if the second omnibus includes Benson's unused The Heart Of Erzulie. One can only hope.

With the releases of The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling, Devil May Care, The Shadow War, and the American release of Double Or Die, as well as Bond 22, 2008 is proving to be a Bond lover's paradise.

#17 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:10 AM

Ok...so in 2008 we have Bond 22, Devil May Care, Fleming's books in hardcover, Young Bond 5 and this Benson omnibus. A nice year!

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

...plus the complete uncut version of Blast From The Past (never before published in English).

Sore tempted to query whether any of them were in English, but that would be churlish and in the season of goodwill, extremely petty.

Good news for collectors!

#19 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:28 AM

...plus the complete uncut version of Blast From The Past (never before published in English).

Sore tempted to query whether any of them were in English, but that would be churlish and in the season of goodwill, extremely petty.

But, of course, Jim, they weren't written in English. They were written in American.

Which possibly explains Benson's greater popularity among his fellow Colonials on their side of the Pond than among us Brits?

#20 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

But, of course, Jim, they weren't written in English. They were written in American.

Which possibly explains Benson's greater popularity among his fellow Colonials on their side of the Pond than among us Brits?

Well, perhaps, but I am sure that it will be a nice treat for those who like that sort of thing.

#21 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:56 PM

This news is beatiful man, I choked up a bit reading it.

About the short story. Above someone mentioned that they wish they would do a book of just Benson's short stories. At this point my opinion is that they are gonna do his books as volumes and throw a few shorts stories in each. If one has not come out yet and two is already in the pipe I'm almost certain that eventually they'll all be out and with the short stories.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

Ok...so in 2008 we have Bond 22, Devil May Care, Fleming's books in hardcover, Young Bond 5 and this Benson omnibus. A nice year!

And the SilverFin graphic novel and more Titan Bond collections and the usual "about Bond" books and more...

It's going to be a great (and expensive!) year.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

And the SilverFin graphic novel and more Titan Bond collections and the usual "about Bond" books and more...

And don't forget Final Fling in the UK and The Moneypenny Diaries in the US.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

And don't forget Final Fling in the UK and The Moneypenny Diaries in the US.

Indeed! :D The CBn Calendar is a must for me lately. Too many books to keep track of in one's head.

#25 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:56 AM

Great stuff! Any idea whether this'll be published in the UK?

Also, interesting to note on his website, Benson says Volume 2 would contain "short stories" - plural. Given “Midsummer Night's Doom” is a self-confessed joke piece (would it be included?) and the only other remaining story is “Live at Five”, could “The Heart of Erzulie” also be included?

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

...could “The Heart of Erzulie” also be included?

That would be great, but I wouldn't count on it.

#27 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:01 AM

I'd have guessed as much. :D

#28 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:28 AM

My problem is that I have all of Benson's Bond novels so, do I really want to buy an omnibus for a longer version of "Blast From the Past"? I guess I could wait until cheap copies turn up on Amazon Marketplace.

#29 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:27 AM

I'd have guessed as much. :D

Remember also that "The Heart of Erzulie" is the property of Ian Fleming Publications (or whatever Glidrose is now called). If IFP doesn't want it published, it never will be pubished.

#30 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

Great stuff! Any idea whether this'll be published in the UK?

Also, interesting to note on his website, Benson says Volume 2 would contain "short stories" - plural. Given “Midsummer Night's Doom” is a self-confessed joke piece (would it be included?) and the only other remaining story is “Live at Five”, could “The Heart of Erzulie” also be included?

The problem with calling "Midsummer Night's Doom" a joke piece is the humor isn't funny. I nearly quit reading Bond continuation stories after it was published. I thought "High Time to Kill" was a big comeback. But, and this is just a personal preference, I don't care for the short stories. Admittedly, I've never read "Blast From the Past" at its full length. But in "Midsummer Night's Doom," where Hefner says he knew Bond was a secret agent and had known for a long time......it's painful just to remember it.

From what I remember at the time (and it has been a decade now, so take this with the proper size grain of salt), Playboy commissioned the story and set a number of conditions (including Hefner making an appearance in the story). Now, if I had a chance to write a short story for Playboy, it'd be hard to say no (because I think the magazine pays pretty well). Still, it is your name on the story and if things don't turn out well, you're going to be the one left holding the bag.