23 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

Howdy, folks! Following off from my Octopussy rewrite (though now more in line with ACE's tradition :D), coco1997 and I present to you:

FROM A VIEW TO A KILL (1985)

After the success of Octopussy, Timothy Dalton is ready to take his Bond in a darker direction. Peter Hunt, who is now tired out after 5 Bond movies in more than a decade (4 of them starring George Lazenby, one of them starring Dalton), passes on directing the next in the series, From a View to a Kill, to helm Wild Geese II; as such, the producers turn to longtime editor John Glen to direct this, his first feature film.

At first, conflicts arise over the new director and his ways of working, but soon all come over to his side; Dalton, in particular, remarks that he'd never felt more carefree on a film.

To perform the theme, John Barry contacts popular band Duran Duran. Together, they collaborate to create the only #1 Bond theme hit in the U.S.

The film opens on June 13, 1985, and stars Timothy Dalton as James Bond, David Bowie as Max Zorin, Geoffrey Keen as Sir Fredrick Gray, Desmond Llewelyn as Q, Brigitte Nielsen and Grace Jones as May and Day, Peter Davison as Boswell, Fiona Fullerton as Stacey Sutton, and Walter Gotell as General Gogol.

The gunbarrel opens onto the frigid wastes of Siberia, where a lone figure trudges along in the distance; a closeup reveals him to be James Bond, on a vital mission to recover a microfilm copy of a Russian spy satellite from Agent 003. Wearing heavy thermal gear, 007 trudges through the frozen wasteland, using a scanner to search for traces of electronics hidden amongst the ice.

The scanner leads him to an outcropping of ice, where inside, Bond finds 003

Edited by Mr. Blofeld, 20 November 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#2 007Bond

007Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

The film opens on June 13, 1985, and stars Timothy Dalton as James Bond, David Bowie as Max Zorin, Geoffrey Keen as Sir Fredrick Gray, Desmond Llewelyn as Q, Brigitte Nielsen and Grace Jones as May and Day, Peter Davison as Boswell, Fiona Fullerton as Stacey Sutton, and Walter Gotell as General Gogol.

Wow ! Excellent ! Two girls for May AND Day... :D

#3 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

Wow ! Excellent ! Two girls for May AND Day... :D

Yep; two lesbian assassins. Coco1997 and I came up with them during some earlier brainstorming sessions, and we felt this was just the movie to put them in. :P

Any more comments? Questions? Requests? :D

#4 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

There's no way Bowie would have appeared in it.

#5 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

There's no way Bowie would have appeared in it.

Well, the original didn't have enough meaty dementedness for the role and was far too extravagant; in this one, there's a hint of mystery about Zorin and he turns out to be even more of a psychopath than the original film depicts him as. :D

#6 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

Maybe. But Bowie hates James Bond films. That's why he didn't play Max Zorin to begin with.

If you want to replace Walken, it would have to be with somebody else. Rutger Hauer, for example.

#7 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

Maybe. But Bowie hates James Bond films. That's why he didn't play Max Zorin to begin with.

If you want to replace Walken, it would have to be with somebody else. Rutger Hauer, for example.

Well, after Bowie, the whole 'fake eye' concept pretty much fell into place. :D

#8 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']Howdy, folks! Following off from my Octopussy rewrite (though now more in line with ACE's tradition :D), coco1997 and I present to you:[/quote]
Erm, thanks (makes me hesitant about what I'm gonna read)!

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']BOND: "Guess I felt a chill there!"[/quote]

Witty as Wilde

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']MAN: "I admire your courage, Sir...?"
GRAY: "Gray, Frederick Gray. I admire your luck, Mr...?"[/quote]

You must be excused for, not being English, you find our honours system, nnnf, rather hard to fathom. You have made a common North American mistake. A knight of the realm is referred to by their title and first name. The exchange would be (in the highly unlikely event you would know someone was a Knight but not know their name!), "Sir...?" "Frederick."

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']"The bugger's lined his skeleton with steel; apparently, it's to protect from any and all assassination attempts."[/quote]
Oh, man, Mattell's gonna love this!

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']May LaFleur and April Day.[/quote]
Ah'm purdy garddarn sho if we's took a swab offa both of yous (that ole coco1997 too), we'd find Flemmmminge DNA.

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']Sir Frederick Gray is dead.[/quote]
Bet Geoffrey's not too Keen on this scene

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']"Mai Blume" and "Avril Jour."[/quote]
That's riiight sofistickairted, tha' is!

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']Zorin orders his security guards to restrain the man and rip his shirt off while Zorin violently whips him to shreds with a cat-o'-nine-tails.[/quote]
Erm...

[quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='794815' date='18 November 2007 - 08:07']Zorin then chuckles and smiles to himself, saying, "Everyone

#9 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

Why, thank you, good sir! Sorry about that mistake. :D

#10 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

This was fun to come up with.:D

#11 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

This was fun to come up with.:D

Hmmm. Now all we need is an artist of some sort to come up with a poster!

#12 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, ACE.

#13 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

I doubt there is anything that can compare to this.

#14 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

Why, thanks! :P

Now, for the poster: Is there any way to contact Robert McGinnis...? :D

#15 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

Erm... any more comments, folks? :D

#16 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

I hear you, ACE.:D

#17 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

Good to hear. :D

#18 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

I enjoyed the read. I especially liked the two females May and Day.

A few nit picks
The electric skeleton for Zorin is a bit too out there for my tastes. I was also surprised by there being no female lead. Obviously the big chase scene was lifted directly from True Lies. My nit pick really gets anal when it comes to the clunky cell phone. There were no "clunky cell phones" in 1985. The clunky cell phone was not introduced until 1988, they had bag phones in that year (the guts were in a suitcase like bag).

All in all, I enjoyed it.

#19 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

As AVTAK was a remake of GF, only goofyer, I doubt that TD would have signed off on that story. I know you made some changes but it's still too similar. I agree with ACE, some nice dialogue though.

#20 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

The electric skeleton for Zorin is a bit too out there for my tastes.

Well, it made the finale work; without it, Bond had as much chance of winning as the Cubbies do the pennant. :P

I was also surprised by there being no female lead.

Well, the less Stacey Sutton, the better. :D

Obviously the big chase scene was lifted directly from True Lies.

Well, that was coco's idea; he'd always thought that chase scene belonged in a Bond film. :D

My nit pick really gets anal when it comes to the clunky cell phone. There were no "clunky cell phones" in 1985. The clunky cell phone was not introduced until 1988, they had bag phones in that year (the guts were in a suitcase like bag).

D'oh! :D

I doubt that TD would have signed off on this story. I know you made some changes but it's still too similar. I agree with ACE, some nice dialogue though.

Thanks, everyone! Writers need constructive criticism any chance they get! B)

Any more? :tup:

#21 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

Writers need constructive criticism any chance they get! :D

Well, if you build that there, it won't look nice!

#22 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

Writers need constructive criticism any chance they get! :D

Well, if you build that there, it won't look nice!

Erm... what do you mean? :P

#23 007Bond

007Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

When I was a teenager I would have liked to see Dwight Schultz as a "madman" and Mister T. as his henchman ! :D

#24 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

When I was a teenager I would have liked to see Dwight Schultz as a "madman" and Mister T. as his henchman ! :P

Interesting... :D