#1 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:16 AM

http://www.theage.co...1090995742.html

Former West Coast AFL premiership player and media personality Chris Mainwaring has died in Perth, police say.

Police and the St John Ambulance were called to Mainwaring's home in the beach suburb of Cottesloe following a complaint he was yelling in the street at 11.45pm (WST) on Sunday.

When they arrived, the 41-year-old was calm and refused help from the ambulance officers who left him in the care of a neighbour, police said.

St John Ambulance was again called to Mainwaring's home at 12.30pm where officers found him unconscious.

He was taken to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Police will investigate the death and prepare a report for the coroner.

Mainwaring was an inaugural Eagles squad member who played 201 games from 1987-99.

The wingman was part of the club's first grand final in 1991, and was a key member of the side that won the Eagles' first two premierships in 1992 and 1994.

He was runner-up in the Eagles' best and fairest three times and came third on two occasions.

Mainwaring was an All Australian in 1991 and 1996.

The club was not commenting on Monday morning.

Since retiring, he worked for the Seven Network in Perth as a newsreader and sports reporter, as well as working on Perth radio.

The Seven Network also aired a statement in its morning news bulletins confirming Mainwaring's death.

This is shock news. Everybody is dying!

RIP Mainy :cooltongue:

#2 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

He is a bit before my time, as far as when I got into AFL, but it's obviously a shock for a sportsman to die so young.

Seems he was have a bender weekend and may have done too much.

#3 Odd Job

Odd Job

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:45 AM

I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. This is tragic news and even worse, he leaves behind two young children I believe. A sad day for footy!!

#4 james st.john smythe

james st.john smythe

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

i loved him in dads army