5 replies to this topic

#1 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 09:43 PM

The first film noted in the title was shown on A&E a few days ago, and now that I think about it, was it an imitation of Bond, much like xXx? I wasn't really into Bond when it was released, and I can't recall whether it was treated as a knockoff by Bond fans or not. So what do you think? Personally, I don't think it is. The only element I can think of that re-uses an element from the Bond films is when Arnie emerges from the pool with the tux underneath his drysuit, and perhaps little bits of humour and action sequences. BTW, I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so if a moderator feels it should be moved, please do so.

#2 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:07 PM

I think True Lies is a great movie. It's most definately not a poor Bond imitation. There a some Bond elements in it but you can't avoid this when you produce a secret-agent-pic. I see the opening scene as a nice homage to the Bond series. But later on the movie unfolds its own story, that has nothing to do with Bond. I mean this guy is a family man!
And they had Peter Lamont on it and James Cameron is an excellent director. They would never try to rip-off the Bond series.

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:09 PM

Not at all. Though there were a couple of elements tossed in for humor, True Lies is largely original and can't be compared to a blatant ripoff like xXx.

#4 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:54 PM

The scene with Arnie removing his wetsuit to reveal a tux was an homage if anything. Aside from the opening sequence, which was exceptionally done, the entire movie is worlds away from "Bond".

Picture, if you will, Schwarznegger galloping down the street on a horse ... remind you of Bond? :)

#5 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 12:15 PM

I agree, it does very well to be it's own story, without ripping off Bond. The only two times I was reminded of Bond was at the start, as you say, with the tux and the wet suit, and the first appearance of Art Malik.

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 12:21 PM

it has some Bondian moments, but it's much different and it pays homage to Bond without dismissing him as old and out of it..I like True Lies..