This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How old were you when you first read 'Scorpius'?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:51 AM

How old were you when you first read John Gardner's Scorpius--the current book in the ?

Likewise with the previous No Deals, Mr. Bond, I was able to find a US paperback copy of Scorpius at a nearby used bookstore very early on when I was just starting the Gardner Bond series (it seems like this is one of the easiest Gardner novels to come by in used bookstores for me anyways).

After finishing No Deals, Mr. Bond on a vacation car ride during the summer (2003 perhaps?), I seem to remember starting Scorpius a few weeks later back at home. After the disappointment that his sixth novel was, Scorpius was an improvement. We had an interesting and more memorable villain in Father Valentine and the cult was something new as well. One of the higher points in the rollercoaster that started with No Deals, Mr. Bond and doesn't end until Cold.

#2 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:36 AM

I read all the Gardner books when I was 19 to 20, 10 to 11 years ago. I struggle to remember what most of them are about but I plan to start re reading them all, in order this time. All I remember about Father Valentine is that I think he was based in Portofino.

Edited by Jack Spang, 16 August 2007 - 02:37 AM.

#3 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

Reading it for the first time now, aged 38. This book is signifcantly better than No Deals, Mr Bond, the story is more tightly written which gives the story a faster pace and Father Valentine is a villain reminiscent of some terrorists around today.

#4 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

My Gardner history here. And now...

When I was told the title of the book by Glidrose in the spring of 1988, I went into fannish mode (oh dear): you know 2 + 2 = 5. See, I thought the book was a clever tie in with the Skorpios character from the Victory role playing games - the Blofeld replacement, and head of TAROT, the SPECTRE replacement.

Well, it wasn't.

Vladimir Scorpius sounded like a classic James Bond villain. Linked with religious cult leader Father Valentine (clever name), Gardner was capturing the Zeitgeist in 1988. The corrupted TV evangelist was the villain du jour (Tom Mankiewicz wrote and directed the 1987 film version of Dragnet using Christopher Plummer in a similar role). I had heard that a similar character would appear in the upcoming Bond film, Licence Revoked (Prof. Joe Butcher anyone?) and liked the idea. My father picked up the first edition and brought it back and I remember being disappointed with the completely different cover (larger format book, no classy illustration). I heard that the publishers issued a fake Avante Carte credit card as a promotional thingy but I never saw one of these. There seemed to be more of a push for this book - it was more readily available.

The book itself was a change in pace - sort of Moonraker mixed with Dr No. The mainly UK locations and pacing worked well for me. Gardner conjured a sense of atmosphere and mystery. The opening car chase from the SAS base was fantastic and the SAS character, Pearlman was the first successful supporting character in the Gardner books. Harriet Horner was a fun character. Things went downhill when the plot moves to Hilton Head Island - it is too silly. Fun, but silly. The downbeat ending is good. Scorpius is built up but does nothing and has no real presence. However, it was a continuation of the development of Gardner's Bond who by this time had sort of come into his own. A special intelligence operative who trains with Special Forces, drives a Bentley, uses an ASP 9mm, a renewed sense of the characters at SIS. All in all, there was a confidence about the writing that held sway.

This was the first Bond product out since the massive shot-in-the-arm that Timothy Dalton's debut had been. Rather like this period right now, we had come off a great Bond film, all things Bond touched turned to excitement and we looked forward to next year with a great sophomore Bond film and new Bond novel with huge anticipation. Then shooting in Mexico, the new Bond film promised to knock it out of the ballpark. We were told Bond was really chasing the blockbuster stakes, especially in the US. Only time would tell...

#5 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

Why the need for this thread...?

I'm lost...

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

I'm lost...

Merely one way to spark some discussion on the Gardner novels which are currently being read in the .

No need to post in it if doesn't interest you.

#7 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

Let's see I think I was about 13 or 14 when I read Scporpius. I find it the most deficult book for me to read. I still don't know why like right now I'm reading Brokenclaw and i'm not haveing problems but i guess Scorpius is my weak point in reading the Bond books.

#8 Kalel577

Kalel577

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

I read it the year it came out at 19 years of age. It was the first Bond novel I ever read.

#9 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:01 AM

I'm lost...

Merely one way to spark some discussion on the Gardner novels which are currently being read in the .

No need to post in it if doesn't interest you.

No, it's not that it doesn't interest me. In fact I've seen the "how old were you when..." question posed before and wondered its significance.

No offence meant...

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

No problem.

#11 JKD68

JKD68

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:14 PM

I first read it right around the time it came out. Loved the green cover.