This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who should have been the Centenary novel author if IFP had...

4 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

When Penguin UK reprinted the fourteen Ian Fleming novels in October 2006 with brand new introductions, I recall a few CBn members bringing up the idea that possibly these authors could be contenders for the Centenary novel.

We since know that is not the case, but I'm curious which author CBn members would have chosen for the job from this selection:

Jeffery Deaver
Louise Welsh
Michael Dibdin
Jonathan Kellerman
Charlie Higson
Simon Winder
Ben Schott
Barry Eisler
David Wolstencroft
Nick Stone
Val McDermid
Mo Hayder
Charles Cumming
Robert Ryan

#2 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:52 AM

Well, I've mentioned how much I like Eisler in other threads about the IFC novel, but I'll say it again. His books are practically the only non-Fleming spy novels I can get into. Granted, I like the odd spy novel by someone else ("Fraternity of the Stone" or "The Spy who came in from the Cold"), but there are very few spy novel authors that I consistently like beside the Master. In fact, really only Eisler and Hall.

I think Eisler would have nailed the colorful, exciting, wish-fulfillment aspect of Bond, while still maintaining a sort of introspective, thoughtful approach. However, as a downside, he does seem to fall pretty squarely into the thriller as screenplay mold that a lot of authors fall into (for example, 007's own Benson). I kind of like that approach, though, as long as the writing's not too bad.

#3 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I think they went in the right direction with Faulks. After Benson we need someone who's a bit more literary and can give a bit of weight to the role of Bond Author.

#4 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

Ben Schott could have given us some lovely lists.

#5 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Ben Schott could have given us some lovely lists.

LOL.

I think Charlie Higson would have written a great adult Bond novel.