#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:36 AM

Interview with 'Diamonds Are Forever's' Joe Robinson

He has danced with Sophia Loren, dated Diana Dors and dined with Frank Sinatra. Here, Geordie Joe Robinson tells his extraordinary story to Mitya Underwood

Once described as one of the finest hunks of blond beefcake in the business, Joe Robinson has not lost any of his charm at the age of 80.

His dulcet tones are enough to make even the most hard-hearted of women swoon. He is charismatic, articulate and a real gentleman.

His only bad point, if we had to find one, is that he is far from modest. But looking back over his glitzy and glamorous career we don't hold it against him.

"I'm not modest. I love it, I have a giant-size ego" he laughs. "I've got all my films on video. I'm not one of these people who looks at their work and says `oh not again, it's awful!' That's nonsense.

"A lot of people in the business are falsely modest, I think you have to believe in yourself if you want to succeed.

"I know in some parts I was very good - it's just a pity I didn't go to Hollywood."

Born in Stanhope Street, Newcastle, in 1927, Hollywood was not an obvious destination for the Geordie youngster.

His family, who now live in South Africa, were known affectionately on Tyneside as the Wrestling Robinsons because of their impressive domination of the world wrestling and judo circuit.

Joe began his career following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather - who was landlord of The Beehive pub in Newcastle's Bigg Market - and trained as a professional wrestler. This paid off when he became the third Robinson to be crowned wrestling champion of the world in 1951.

His family were also judo experts so Joe decided one world champion title was not enough and went on to become world judo champion no fewer than five times.

But despite his bursting trophy case, it isn't wrestling or judo that Joe "Tiger" Robinson became best known for.

After leaving the North East, the twice-married father-of-our went on to have an amazingly colourful and exciting career in films - in particular sword and sandal epics.

After training at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art with the likes of Laurence Harvey, Joe's 6ft 2in rippling frame was in fierce demand.

And he is the first to admit his toned-to-perfection body and strapping build was a major help in forging out such a glittering career.

"I remember at the audition for RADA there were more than 500 people fighting for about 120 places.

"I was given advice from someone who told me to go into the audition and get my shirt off as quickly as I could, so I did.

"I whipped my shirt off and I was all tanned, brown and muscley. The women were sitting in the back saying `oh gosh'." (Remember, this was back in the 1950s, and that's how women talked.) During the holidays Joe would still compete in wrestling and judo championships, keeping a firm grip on his world titles.

In 1955 he made his first foray into the film world in A Kid for Two Farthings alongside British blonde bombshell Diana Dors - with whom we get the impression he shared more than just a screen kiss.

"I'd always dreamt about being in these films. When I saw Clark Gable in films I thought `I'll do that one day'. My father always told me I had the looks for films, but I never thought I'd be picked by the greatest English director Carol Reed. Diana was amazing - she had lips to die for," he says cheekily.

"And yes, we got on very well. She was always a good friend of mine. I can still remember my first scene with her.

"When I auditioned for the part I was the only one who could pick a girl up with one arm. I think that helped!"

In the years to follow Joe was snapped up by various directors to play handsome, rugged heroes. Then he landed the part he could have been born to play; he starred alongside Anthony Quinn in the spectacular Roman epic Barabbas.

After finishing Barabbas, Joe decided to stay in Rome and the job offers came rolling in. Parts in King of Brute Force, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, and Thor and the Amazon Women all followed.

During this time Joe was a regular at fancy dinners, mixing with some of the world's most glamorous women.

He said: "I remember one time I went to an event and walked straight up to Brigitte Bardot and asked her to dance. Then I asked Sophia Loren, then Grace Kelly."

So did Joe, who now lives in Brighton, get as friendly with any of these stars as he did with Ms Dors?

"No," he replies coyly. "I got on very well with Sophia, but she was getting married in a few weeks."

Joe also became friends with Sean Connery, was invited for dinner with Frank Sinatra and taught Gene Kelly some judo moves in the cobbled back lanes of Cannes during the film festival.

He was on first name terms with many of the major A-list stars and was never far away from a film set.

His next most famous role came in 1971 when he played deadly diamond smuggler Peter Franks alongside his friend Connery in the 007 film Diamonds Are Forever. He and Connery's fight scene is regarded as one of the best of its kind in the Bond films.

"It was Sean who recommended me to the director because he knew what I looked like and what I could do. I trained him to fight in those scenes and did all the choreography for it."

In 1963 after meeting Honor Blackman on the set of The Avengers, Joe started training her in judo. The pair got on so well she asked him to be co-author of Honor Blackman's Book of Self-Defence.

Joe clearly relishes talking about his time as an actor. But behind the film star facade, there is also a dedicated family man who is as proud of his own children as he is of himself.

He is now a grandad of 11 and great-grandad of four. "They're all gorgeous," he gushes. "And they've all done so well. I'm very proud.

"I would never have forced them to follow in my footsteps because I know it isn't for everyone. I'm just pleased they're happy."

http://commanderbond...n...&item=41886 - ic Newcastle