8 replies to this topic

#1 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

I have a friend who is selling a Lotus Esprit S4S that was previously used by MGM for promotion of the James Bond films in 1995. This car is in great condition. All the information about the car is below and on the link as well. There were very few Lotus' made in this model, color and year. If you are interested again please check the link or send a message here and I can connect you with the seller.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

Vehicle Description

This car was purchased new by MGM Studios who used it as a promotional car from 1995 until mid 1997. At that time, it was bought by an employee who has been its only driver since then. The car has always lived in or near Hollywood, has always been covered and garaged and is essentially in mint condition (including the large phone on the console...which has grown obsolete very gracefully). If you're reading this, you probably already know more about the features of this breed of car than I do. But I'll be glad to try to answer any questions you might have for me.

Edited by doublenoughtspy, 16 April 2007 - 10:55 PM.
Correction of sub head

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

I'm afraid that's totally different to the SWLM car- the entire car having been redesigned in the mid-eighties by a different designer to the 70's original: every single body panel is different.
This one's about as close as you'll get on eBay at the mo: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

#3 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

Yeah I apologize for the sub heading. I tried to change it, but was unable to site. There are, however, not many Lotus's out there being sold, so this is still a rare find.

#4 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:52 AM

It's a very fetching design. I believe the redesign was done by Peter Stevens and debuted with the 1988 model year, whereas the original was done by Guigario of Italdesign. Either version is a very impressive vehicle, and, at least to my mind, makes an excellent Bond car.

Regrettably, I'm not currently in the market for one at this time; but I might be within a year depending on the outcome of certain efforts I'm engaged in. It will be a pity to let this one pass; but I don't have the option of pursuing this one presently.

Best of luck to the lucky buyer.

#5 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:03 AM

It's a very fetching design. I believe the redesign was done by Peter Stevens and debuted with the 1988 model year, whereas the original was done by Guigario of Italdesign. Either version is a very impressive vehicle, and, at least to my mind, makes an excellent Bond car.

Regrettably, I'm not currently in the market for one at this time; but I might be within a year depending on the outcome of certain efforts I'm engaged in. It will be a pity to let this one pass; but I don't have the option of pursuing this one presently.

Best of luck to the lucky buyer.

darkpath, Do you know much about Lotus? I am toying with the idea of selling one of my Jags and getting an early Esprit. Ideally I would like an 81 or 82 due to the larger engine, but I have found a 1977 S1 with a rebuilt engine just a couple hours from where I live. what do you think of the S1?

#6 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:46 AM

darkpath, Do you know much about Lotus? I am toying with the idea of selling one of my Jags and getting an early Esprit. Ideally I would like an 81 or 82 due to the larger engine, but I have found a 1977 S1 with a rebuilt engine just a couple hours from where I live. what do you think of the S1?

I won't claim to be an expert. I've read a little here and there over the years and drooled over many of the beauties.

I believe the 1977 model should have the galvanizing of the backbone frame; but I am not absolutely certain of this. Definitely take a look at the backbone frame to make sure it's sound. If the frame is sound, then any other troubles can be fixed in time.

Is this going to be your primary vehicle? If not, then I'd say, without any reservations, go for it! If it's to be your primary vehicle, then I'd say hold off and look for an '85-'87 (the S2 isn't that different looking and the Bosch injection will make it a lot less fussy than the twin dellorto side draft carburetors).

Of course, I concede that I nearly bought a 1976 model some years back, flagrantly ignoring the very advice I've just given.

I am a bit of a Lotus Esprit fanboy. I think you'll be very happy with the Lotus, and if it fits in your stable plans, then by all means have at it!

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm quite annoyed that I passed on a early S1 model on eBay recently in black which had had a Rover V8 dropped in! Much less hassle and more go!

#8 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:30 PM

Here is a better summary for this beautiful car. markmurphy if you are at all interested just let me know.

"You

Edited by Ry, 17 April 2007 - 10:30 PM.

#9 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

I won't claim to be an expert. I've read a little here and there over the years and drooled over many of the beauties.

I believe the 1977 model should have the galvanizing of the backbone frame; but I am not absolutely certain of this. Definitely take a look at the backbone frame to make sure it's sound. If the frame is sound, then any other troubles can be fixed in time.

Is this going to be your primary vehicle? If not, then I'd say, without any reservations, go for it! If it's to be your primary vehicle, then I'd say hold off and look for an '85-'87 (the S2 isn't that different looking and the Bosch injection will make it a lot less fussy than the twin dellorto side draft carburetors).

Of course, I concede that I nearly bought a 1976 model some years back, flagrantly ignoring the very advice I've just given.

I am a bit of a Lotus Esprit fanboy. I think you'll be very happy with the Lotus, and if it fits in your stable plans, then by all means have at it!

Thanks for your input. If I do get a Lotus it will certainly not be a daily driver but spend most of its time in the garage with my Volvo P1800 and Jaguar XJ6. I use a Jag X type for daily and a Louts might take the place of a Jag XJ12 I am trying to sell.