63 replies to this topic

#31 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

Forgot a fave. I happen to love the moment in Goldeneye when he sees the yacht boy in the reflection and whips around and naps the guy in the face with a towel, before wrapping it around his head and slinging him down the stairs. One of his all time BEST Bond moments, IMO, and hardly ever mentioned.

#32 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

Forgot a fave. I happen to love the moment in Goldeneye when he sees the yacht boy in the reflection and whips around and naps the guy in the face with a towel, before wrapping it around his head and slinging him down the stairs. One of his all time BEST Bond moments, IMO, and hardly ever mentioned.

i don't mention it because i don't like it. sorry.

BUT! I shall segway into proper form for this thread from a moment that I do not like though others do, to a moment that others do not like, though I do.

"Saved by the bell."

Here it is. His FUNNIEST moment in all four films. Pierce rarely makes me chuckle, and only once ever made me LAUGH. This was it. I love it. Once more, Johnny, for good measure...

"Saved by the bell."

:cooltongue:

#33 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:07 AM

Now, I'd never seen a laughing Bond.

I think you need to watch the entire Vienna funfair scene in TLD. Especially notice how much Dalton's Bond is enjoying the rollercoaster!! Laughs galore.

#34 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Killing Elektra in TWINE... a dramatic scene very well handled. Bond fighting against the job in hand and his emotions.

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

Has to be when he gets hit with (is it an orange or an ice cube I can't remember) in Mrs Doubtfire.

It was a lime. :cooltongue:

#36 J.B.

J.B.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Bond skipping up the steps, past the mime artist, in GoldenEye.

"Very talented girl."

That little chuckle to himself when he's driving the car by remote control in Tomorrow Never Dies.

"Just surviving, Mr Chang. Just surviving."

"What the hell do you want? I don't need a goddamn wheelchair!"

"No?"

** Whack! **

"You do now!"

What a great topic. I am with Royal Dalton. All of these were great...I am at work now and cant stay long but two things I think of right now:

1. TND where at the beginning he is sabotaging the terrorist flea market...the first you see of Bros is him lighting that terrorist's cigarette and the terrorist looks up, only to punch the guy and with the timing of the music he says, "filthy habit." Also, later in TND, he and Wai Lin are on the motorbike and she switches to sitting facing the front of Broz and says "Dont get any ideas..." Bros looks at her chest and with great timing and that English accented voice inflection says, "I wouldnt dream of it..." HA!!! Like he wasnt dreaming of it...that was classic!

Also, Both in GE and in TWINE, there were moments where Bros would straighten up his tie right in the middle of the chase...both in a tank where he gets rammed (GE) and in the boat chase (TWINE) he does the same thing underwater...PRICELESS.

#37 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

I would rather have him say something like "dying for a cigarette?"

In DAD when Q says "your new form of transportation", the platform on rails arrives, "Q i think you've been in here too long". That's my favorite part of the movie.

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

"Q i think you've been in here too long

LOL, great line.

#39 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

"But you forgot my hidden assets." The entire scene in the Swiss banker's office is wonderful--and Brozza, yes Brozza, is superb here: calm yet extremely alert. In dead earnest and yet with a dark twinkle in his eyes. The hidden assets quip could have come off as a groaner. But Brozza's subtly set us up by toying with the specs. The fight itself is nicely done. For a few minutes here Brozza was in command.

#40 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:29 PM

Love the Brosnan Bond-M scenes in all the films
Love the "next girl" line, Tanner-M-Bond, Bond-Zukovsky, Statue Park, interrogation scenes in GE.
Love the Situation room, M-Roebuck, Bond-Carver, Bond-Q, Bond-Kaufman dialogue "Edifice complex" line in TND (admittedly only works in an American accent and was nicked from The Towering Inferno)in TND
Love the Bond-Elektra, Bond-M, Bond-Zukovsky dialogue, "strictly plutonic" line in TWINE
Love the Bond-Graves, Bond-M, Bond-Q, Bond-Frost dialogue, and the "Saved by the bell" line was GENIUS! (think about it).

#41 BrozFan

BrozFan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:28 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster. Some intense discussions on this site kept me at a distance (very easy and very time consuming when you get embroiled on a subject you are so enthused about) but to hell with it - Pierce is my favourite Bond and I NEED to do him justice...

Goldeneye
- 'Beg your pardon, forgot to knock': so absurd, that smirk is so damn cheeky, the soldier is on the loo for God's sake!
- 'Very talented girl': the tone and the emphasis on 'girl' makes the dialogue so knowingly sarcastic that even when Bond is in trouble he can't help but provoke the villain. An understated injection of humour.
- Bond in car with Xenia: The dialogue is so brief yet sharp, running through the pleasantries of a stererotypical date despite the violent erotic scene Brosnan is alluding to that 'lovely evening'. He continues the witticisms but Xenia's gives one-clearly aggrevates him, yet the rabbit-punch is still sudden and vehement it is quite the throwback to a less P.C. Bond. Then Brosnan throws in another perfect oneliner for good measure.
- When escaping from the archive prison cell: some say Brosnan is not physically imposing enough (Roger Moore-esque even) but the the punch to Orumov, slamming the massive metal door on a soldier with a mere kick and telling Natalya "Come one" adds to a urgency that the sets the audience up for the exciting and unstoppable rampage to come. Pierce is so good at action...
- The fight with Trevelyan: the pacing of the scene is fantastic, each blow sounds impactful and Brosnan holds his own against the more spritely 006.
- Dropping Alec from the dish: Couple the anger-filled stare of Brosnan with the cold, self-interested dialogue ("No. For me.") and we've got one of the best cold-hearted killer moments in the franchise. GREAT scene.

Tomorrow Never Dies
- Provoking Carver at the party: "Heavens no, I'd be lost at sea. Adrift..." Excellent delivery with the right quantity of self awareness. The following shot of Pryce's infuriated mug only helps accentuate Brosnan's brazen audacity.
- Killing Kaufman: Kaufman treats death like a game, but for Bond death is business, looks like Kaufman's [censored]ed! Brosnan's facial expression and the slowness of positioning the gun give add a certain relish to putting this nut-job out of commission.
- Bond at the airbase with Wade: Wade looks at Bond's navel dress afterwhich Bond looks at Wade's grim shirt and shakes his head in disbelief. Such a pompous moment but hilarious nonetheless!

The World Is Not Enough
- The Banker's Office Scene: flawless scene in every respect. The great 'perfectly rounded' quip, the way Brosnan can utilise paralinguistics to maximum effect ie. saying "I just want a name" as he impatiently puts his fingers to his mouth. The curtness of his threat, "And I'm giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life" emphasises his severity. The un-elaborate way in which the guards are dispatched, culminating in the menacing extreme close-up (Brosnan owns this scene!) The way Brosnan turns Lachaise's banker quips to his own usage, "We'll count to three. You can do that can't you?" After pointing his gun over the staircase I love the way Brosnan pivots and closes the door with such finesse its as if he doesn't even need to think about what to do next.
- The Thames chase scene: no dialogue, no witty remarks, simply the fact he took part in this scene as much as he could. This man was game, got to give him credit. Despite the gimmickiness of the tie-twitching you can't deny it is a memorable moment, great improvisation.
- The farwell to Desmond: Brosnan takes a back seat in the scene and for once Bond simply lets Q do his thing. Sitting there quietly watching Q ruffle Cleese creates a certain comradary not really seen before. Then when Brosnan says, "You're not leaving anytime soon, ARE you?" its sounds as if he says it with a lump in his throat, as if this really is the final farewell. Brosnan so subtly, but so effectively emotes what every Bond fan must be feeling at that point. Perfect.
- Azerbajan: "I came prepared for a cold reception" One of the best one-liners of the Brosnan era, a pun without cheese. Delicious!
- Skiing: After Bond & Elektra jump out of the helicopter they pause for a moment before the Parahawks arrive. Elektra gives some over-significant speech, whilst Bond tunes it out, tilts his head downward, purses his lips and checks out her [censored]! Seriously go watch this scene, its hilarious!
- Encountering Renard in the bunker: I've noticed alot ot criticism for Brosnan's heavy breathing in some scenes but here I think it really compunds his fury. From the moment he sees Renard it is obvious he is trying to surpress his rage yet the pistol-whip is totally unexpected. Brosnan even bares his nashers as he lashes out, a very authentic moment.
- The torture scene: Brosnan does a very convincing job of looking in agony, the final taunt at Elektra showing his unshakable defiance.
- I Never Miss: the delivery of that line, the miniscule timeframe he allows Elektra to comply and thus his ultimate decision to cut his losses with her and take some action reinforce the cold-natured aspect of her murder. Even if it could be suggested that Brosnan/Bond over emotes in this film, this is a rebuke for that criticism, Bond does what must be done irrespective of love/relationships etc. Moving Elektra's hair and Brosnan's brief pause increase the pathos of this scene, not as much necromancy as the Paris Carver death, but equally effective.
- Revelation of Elektra's death: Renard, "You forget I'm already dead!" Then Bond referring to Elektra, "Havn't you heard? So is she." The scornful delivery of that line is the ultimate kick in the stones, brilliant.

Die Another Day
- Brosnan stealing sunglasses from Van Beurk: The cocky smirk at freaking out the man he is impersonating then nicking his specs for 'authenticity's' sake!
- The Massuesse scene: initially reinforces the stereotype that Bond will get his rocks off at any possible opportunity, yet that is quickly turned around showing us he can sniff a rat a mile away, even when being surveiled he is in complete control.
- Inside the Cuban clinic: Seeing Bond relish squeezing Zao's water drip is quite sadistic, especially when he repeats and says "Good, got your attention."
- Making use of a perfectly good wheelchair: Knocking out the ganster at the hotel before self-assuredly swaggering into the occupied room and curtiously greeting the woman.
- Sparring with Q: "Maybe you've been down here too long." The cocking of the head and the timing make this line a real treat.

Bloody hell that was longer than I had intended!

Edited by BrozFan, 12 May 2007 - 03:34 AM.

#42 nnaka261

nnaka261

Midshipman

• Enlisting
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

. . .
- 'Beg your pardon, forgot to knock': so absurd, that smirk is so damn cheeky, the soldier is on the loo for God's sake!
. . .
- The fight with Trevelyan: the pacing of the scene is fantastic, each blow sounds impactful and Brosnan holds his own against the more spritely 006.
. . .
- Sparring with Q: "Maybe you've been down here too long." The cocking of the head and the timing make this line a real treat.

I'll agree with you here.

Add another one: "My friends call me 'James Bond.'"

#43 Andy A 007

Andy A 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

Here's my favorite Broz moment from each film:

GE-The scene on the beach with Natalya. The dialogue is dark, cold, but also romantic, and Brosnan triumphantly masters this scene in a way that I feel like I'm watching Ian Fleming's James Bond. I do, however, give a great deal of credit to the fact that Brosnan was working off a script written for Timothy Dalton.

TND-The bedroom scene with Paris. Once agian, a very "Flemingesque" moment. Brosnan is cold, biting, cool under pressure, but at the same time shows some underlying vulnerabitlity. One of Brosnan's few shining moments of Bond.

TWINE-The PTS when Bond jumps out the window. Every time I hear Bond theme triumphantly blast as Brosnan leaps from the building it sends chills up my spine. Brozzers smirk to confused civilians upon landing is a nice touch on his part.

DAD-It was easy to think of my fav DAD moment, seeing how they aren't very many good ones. The PTS of DAD, however terrible the rest of the film may be, is great stuff, and my fav moment is just a small part of it. Bond and his cohorts have just taken over Van Burek's helicopter. Bond has the briefcase, the Bond theme begins to subtly play in the background, Brosnan reveals his trademark smirk, takes Van Burek's glasses and puts them on himself, smiling triumphantly. Pure bond magic!

#44 Andy A 007

Andy A 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

Gotta agree with you there, BrozFan

#45 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

Gotta agree with you there, BrozFan

I will admit that scene was one of the highlights of DAD. I especially liked Brosnan's delivery of "You must be joking" when he sees that there's actually a car in front of him, and then followed by.

#46 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

The whole pts sequence in 'Goldeneye'. Brosnan and Bean worked great as two man team.

Bond's " I'd be lost at sea....drift " comment to Carver in his news satellite's lauching ceremony.

Bond in the hotel room with dead Paris and Dr.Kaufman.

"You chose the right corrupted western agent to work with" line to Mei Lin.

"Well, we all know how difficult that would be for a Swiss banker..." line from TWINE and the whole escape from the office.

I think his Bond was best in TWINE. So there are a lot of good Bond moments in that movie.

"What the hell? I dont need no goddamn wheelchair!"

"No?"

*wham!*

"You do now"

And the whole getting in the clinic sequence in DAD.

The Sword Fight - sequence.

#47 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

The moment he was canned. :cooltongue:

Ok, OK...The Banker's office in TWINE was one of the best scenes in any Bond film-great action, tension and a badass Brosnan that shouldn't have gone Lifetime on us the rest of the film. That 3 minutes is worth buying the tape/dvd.

-Punching the guy in Cuba and putting hin in the wheel chair-and discarding him after he gets into the clinic was classic Bond.

-The Sword fight was surprisingly good. Broz has a little Errol Flynn in him.He should have been in 1991's Robin hood! :angry:

-fight between 007 and 006 was also a highlight.

-killing Dr Kaufman

-the Halo drop and the "opportunities for travel is what I most enjoy about banking"

-The overall wore drobe was superb.

-The Hong Kong hotel entrance...wet, inappropriately (under)dressed and poorly groomed yet he still maintains his suave dignity as though he had entered the room in black tie, business as usual.

#48 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:33 AM

Goldeneye

The World Is Not Enough
- The Banker's Office Scene: flawless scene in every respect. The great 'perfectly rounded' quip, the way Brosnan can utilise paralinguistics to maximum effect ie. saying "I just want a name" as he impatiently puts his fingers to his mouth. The curtness of his threat, "And I'm giving you the opportunity to walk out with your life" emphasises his severity. The un-elaborate way in which the guards are dispatched, culminating in the menacing extreme close-up (Brosnan owns this scene!) The way Brosnan turns Lachaise's banker quips to his own usage, "We'll count to three. You can do that can't you?" After pointing his gun over the staircase I love the way Brosnan pivots and closes the door with such finesse its as if he doesn't even need to think about what to do next.

What a great precis of Brosnan's high points. You mentioned my two favorites The entrance in Goldeneye and the PTS in TWINE.
Thinking about these just hurts though, as you realise that Brosnan was capable of so much in the role and that he never consistently reached his potential. But when he was good he was very good!

Edited by Sbott, 09 July 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#49 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:53 PM

"It`s all behind me now"
(Pierce talking about the Big Boot in 2005.)
Great moment. Thanks, Pierce.

#50 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:48 AM

"Shall I have the pleasure of you in Iceland?"
"I'm afraid you'll never have that pleasure, Mr. Bond."

#51 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:39 AM

I also love "Saved by the Bell".

and "Don't worry I'm not here to take it back" in the hotel room in Hong Kong.

#52 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:54 AM

Indeed. I like all the Brosnan moments mentioned.

Seeing the Brosnan Bond we all know in all his suave glory after having a much needed shave was brilliant. I remember having a grin plastered on my face at Bond's trademark image at last returned :D

#53 robertbmagee

robertbmagee

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

Most of the scenes from all of the films seem to have been mentioned already, but I figured I'd chime in on my favorite two scenes from each of his four:

Goldeneye: So many great scenes to choose from here, but in the end I come back to the scene with Trevelyan when he finds out he is Janus. Pierce really portrayed the emotion so well of finding out that his friend and colleague was alive, a traitor, a criminal. Terrific, eerie scene. My second moment is the fight with Trevelyan on the control tower at the end. So intense and brutal, and both Pierce and Sean Bean really performed well in that fight sequence.

TND: The pre titles sequence is terrific in this one, my favorite of the series. I just love the way he efficiently mows down all these terrorists and gets the jet out of there. Very Bondian scene. 2nd is definitely the execution of Dr Kaufman. I know it's been mentioned several times, but for good reason. It is a powerful scene.

TWINE: I love the look he gives Zukovsky as he shoots the handcuff on that torture rack to free him (all of the scenes with Pierce and Robbie Coltrane were great), and really that whole scene is very good. 2nd moment in TWINE is when he sneaks into Davidov's car and then kills him and takes his place on the plane. Excellent intensity and no hesitation in eliminating Davidov.

DAD - The whole pre titles sequence again I think is excellent, and Pierce plays it all very well. I really liked the saved by the bell line and I just thought he plays this whole teaser beautifully. Second is everything in the Blades club. This is the first time since the end of Goldeneye that you could see that Bond really hates the villain - he's not conflicted about it, he just wants to kick the bad guy's butt. And the fencing scene is great, the one action scene in the movie that Tamahori didn't find a way to screw up.

#54 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

For the most part, I have a hard time seeing Pierce

#55 SilencedPPK

SilencedPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

There are a few Pierce moments that I absolutely love, and sometimes put in a certain Bond dvd just to see.

Firstly, Pierce in Goldeneye. I enjoyed that entire movie, I thought it was well made, and it is one of my favorite Bond movies. One part that sticks out to me is, how Pierce looks genuinely distraught when his friend Alec has been executed right in front of him. His face is genius, and you actually feel bad for him.
When he drives the Aston Martin DB5 down that narrow road.

The best part of Tomorrow Never Dies, is when Pierce is in the hotel room, getting smashed. I think he looks at his very best as Bond in that scene.

The World Is Not Enough. The boat chase on the Thames.
How he has those x-ray glasses on, and knifes a guys tie to the bar and drinks his martini right after. i think it was genius.
His farewell to 'Q'. I thought it was a great departure for Desmond. It showed a lot of chemistry between friends.

Die Another Day. Although this movie is not my favorite, there are parts where I adore Pierce as Bond. When he thinks he mentally prepares for death when he's walking away from the Koreans.
Walking into the hotel with his beard and shirt unbuttoned.
"Now I've got your attention." That fight scene was great.
The icechase in the Aston Martin.

I'm sure there are more for me, but these are the ones right off the top of my head!

#56 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

Okay, here we go:

1. The stern face close-up after the Swiss banker has been executed (TWINE).
2. "I never miss" (TWINE).
3. Waiting for Paris with a vodka (TND).
4. The GE bullet-flinch.
5. Back-seat smiling in the BMW 7 series (TND).

Edited by I never miss, 29 October 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#57 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

Great Brosnan moments:

GE- When he drops in on the Russian soldier in the toilet.
GE- When he drops 006 off the antenna.
TWINE- His final scene with Q.
TWINE- When he shoots Elecktra King in cold blood.
DAD- His last scene in the movie (when it was time to pass the torch to Craig)

#58 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

Forgot about this one. Sharp writing. Pretty darn good execution.

Xenia:

#59 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

GE- The towel fight is pure Brosnan/Bond. Excellent.
"No more foreplay."
The climax in the satalite lair. Pierce looked his best here.

TND- Q sequence

TWINE- Swiss bank sequence
torture sequence
DAD- Love the pre-title sequence
Hotel with Peaceful
The sleezy look on PB's face as he says'
"They feast........... like ther's no tomorrow."

#60 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

. . .
. . .
. . .

I'll agree with you here.

Add another one: "My friends call me 'James Bond.'"

Great scenes.

In TND, I love the bike-helicopter chase, and I always enjoy Bond making fun of Elliot Carver.