48 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

He was a huge star in 1968 coming off The Thomas Crown Affair, playing a suave romantic anti-hero...ok, so he's blonde, American and listed as 5'10 so the cards were stacked against him but I think he coulda rocked as Bond. Anyone know if he was considered? This may ofcourse be old news but I'm not aware if he was approached...Anyone?

#2 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

I believe I've heard and read most names considered for the part, and I cannot recall McQueen's name ever coming up. Some American names did make it into the mix over time, including Burt Reynolds, Adam West, and James Brolin, but never McQueen.

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Too bad...he would have been an interesting choice...anyway, I like Laz just fine but Mcqueen has a special star quality to him that few stars have had...

#4 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

Mmmmmmm, Steve McQueen. Yum.

#5 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

I don't think he was ever considered because he was American.

Anyway, I think Daniel Craig is basically Steve McQueen only British.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

I can imagine Craig playing McQueen in a biopic.

#7 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

I've always thought that to be an excellent idea. I would love to see a McQueen biopic, and I think craig would fit perfectly

Edited by rogermoore007, 04 April 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#8 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

Interesting... I think Layer Cake is as close Craig comes to being like McQueen. In fact, several reviews praised Craig for being a latter day version of him.

#9 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

What a good thought- yes, I can see that.

As for McQueen as Bond; well yeah- he's as magnetic as they come- he'd have been an excellent star for the Bond films. But I think he might have been wasted somehow- for McQueen to have played anyone that wasn't American would have seemed just.. wrong; his coolness almost comes directly from being American.

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

He'd have made a fine Leiter.

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

I dunno- you can't have Leiter cooler than Bond, can you?

#12 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

Exactly. I think he had far too much charisma for that kind of supporting role.

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

I dunno- you can't have Leiter cooler than Bond, can you?

Yeah, that's probably why Eon's Leiter has usually been a throwaway role played by an unremarkable-looking guy. Take him as close to Bond as he is in the books, and you'd risk having him steal the show.

#14 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

Saltzman stated they were looking for an unknown in 1967. They were looking for someone they could turn into a star - not a star already.

#15 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

Height would have been an issue too. Most reports put his height at 5'9", but I've seen the figure as low as 5'7". Macho stars are sensitive about their heights and not a few of them probably lie. So, bear in mind: during the filming of The Magnificent Seven, McQueen was said to go out to the set early--to add dirt to where he'd be standing. Why? So he look taller than Yul Brynner. How tall was Brynner? 5'8"!

#16 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

The TCA was an MGM/UA film so it seems odd that he wasn't on the list...

Height would have been an issue too. Most reports put his height at 5'9", but I've seen the figure as low as 5'7". Macho stars are sensitive about their heights and not a few of them probably lie. So, bear in mind: during the filming of The Magnificent Seven, McQueen was said to go out to the set early--to add dirt to where he'd be standing. Why? So he look taller than Yul Brynner. How tall was Brynner? 5'8"!

I've heard that too. 5'10 may be a reach...I think Norman Jewison shot him at odd angles(floor up) in certain scenes...in TCA, I didn't notice he looked shortish.Certainly not "tall" but Bogart wasn't tall but he was such a force...a guy with a powerful charisma and presence can overcome the tall issue...granted Sean was charismatic and tall and the press would never let Mcqueen forget it if they hired him.Ultimately, Steve Mcqueen was perhaps too big a star to take over the Bond role at the time. It would have been like Mel Gibson(another diminutive superstar) doing Bond in '87 or '95...maybe too much baggage.

#17 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

The TCA was an MGM/UA film so it seems odd that he wasn't on the list...

Yes, he was in TCA - and was already headlining movies.

Am I the only one that has seen the Life Magazine article from 68 with the candidates for OHMSS?

None of them had "starred" in any films as the lead.

2 had no tv/movie/stage credits at all.

McQueen's salary for films at the time probably would have taken most of OHMSS's budget.

#18 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

Actually, it was Brynner who added dirt to make himself look taller than McQueen. McQueen then kicked the pile of dirt when he showed up...

#19 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

Actually, it was Brynner who added dirt to make himself look taller than McQueen. McQueen then kicked the pile of dirt when he showed up...

Thanks for the correction. Either way it's just as amusing--a couple of swaggering shorties fighting for an inch or two. Coburn towered over both--and did go on to star in a certain American Bond film.

#20 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

Men can be very amusing creatures, bless them.

#21 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

Second response to this one: I'll still take your word on who piled up the dirt. But here's an interesting sidebar on McQueen and Brynner. Source: DVD Verdict on The Steve McQueen Collection:

"Brynner felt--absolutely correctly--that McQueen was trying to steal scenes from him. Whenever they are paired, McQueen will do some subtle thing--twist a horse's rein, play with a button, do some such thing--to draw the viewer's eye away from Brynner. Brynner's contempt is thinly veiled...It's all a great insight into McQueen's personality. He clearly wanted to be the center of attention in every scene...even when he wasn't supposed to be. Needless to say, Brynner never worked with him again."

#22 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:31 PM

If they're in a western than they had the advantage of cowboy boots! I guess that extra inch or two of hieght makes all the difference. :cooltongue:

#23 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

Second response to this one: I'll still take your word on who piled up the dirt. But here's an interesting sidebar on McQueen and Brynner. Source: DVD Verdict on The Steve McQueen Collection:

"Brynner felt--absolutely correctly--that McQueen was trying to steal scenes from him. Whenever they are paired, McQueen will do some subtle thing--twist a horse's rein, play with a button, do some such thing--to draw the viewer's eye away from Brynner. Brynner's contempt is thinly veiled...It's all a great insight into McQueen's personality. He clearly wanted to be the center of attention in every scene...even when he wasn't supposed to be. Needless to say, Brynner never worked with him again."

Steve McQueen: GORGEOUS, Yul Brynner: DEAD SEXY - until reading that. Seriously, you've just ruined two of my major crushes :cooltongue:.

#24 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

Men can be very amusing creatures, bless them.

To my surprise Tom Cruise is listed as 5'7 on IMDB...I was totally expecting anywhere from 5'10 to 6'! Maybe Scientology has some merrit afterall! :cooltongue:

Wow, Mcqueen and Brynner remind me of Zoolander and Hansel...that's pretty funny stuff.Someone should make a comedy about competitive stars-someone not named Will Farrel.

#25 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

But women can be more amusing. Men fight over inches and matters that matter while women fight about shoes.

#26 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

Am I the only one that has seen the Life Magazine article from 68 with the candidates for OHMSS?

Yes.

What information did the article give?

#27 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

That's so interesting because I thought they worked really well together on screen. I heard McQueen was a lot like that though. He supposedly turned down Butch Cassidy because he wanted his name over Paul Newman's in the credits and his contract for the Towering Inferno called for him to have the same number of lines as Newman's. They even had to alter the opening and closing credits so one name was above the other vertically but not before it horizontally. It's so weird how insecure actors were back then.

#28 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Yes.

The candidates were John Richardson, Hans De Vries, Robert Campbell, Anthony Rogers and George Lazenby.

Household names all, eh?

#29 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

Yes.

The candidates were John Richardson, Hans De Vries, Robert Campbell, Anthony Rogers and George Lazenby.

Household names all, eh?

You've outdone yourself here. Thanks. The only non-Laz name I know--I think--is John Richardson.

#30 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

Some American names did make it into the mix over time, including Burt Reynolds, Adam West, and James Brolin, but never McQueen.

Talk about a nasty game of Russian Roulette.

Burt Reynolds, Adam West, James Brolin = all bullets to the forehead.
Steve McQueen = the only empty chamber.

I have to remember to be thankful that none of those first 3 names ever materialized as Bond.

<Thank you, thank you, thank you...>