This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Role Of Honour; Reviews & Ratings

3 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate 'Role Of Honour'?

How do you rate 'Role Of Honour'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:25 AM

This thread is intended for reviews and ratings of Role Of Honour by members of the The Blades Library Book Club here. Be sure to add your review if you do vote in the poll!

The Blades Library Book Club will be reading Role Of Honour from: 19 February 2007 - 15 April 2007.

#2 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

One of his best Bond adventures: tense, evenly paced, suspenseful and a fast read. Percy Proud is an above-average Gardner Bond girl. It also has a more realistic feel. ROLE OF HONOUR is one of the most under-rated of his books, especially by the author himself. In 1993 he revealed to fellow author Raymond Benson that '..it was the hardest book of all of them to write' and 'I don't like (it) too much'. It isn't likely SPECTRE would work alongside Bond - or that Bond would drink tea!

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:26 AM

Keep the reviews coming!

#4 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:02 AM

One of the best, but by no means the very best, Gardner novels. The first half of the book is brilliant. I like that he gets to do some real spying. I like the girl, she's one of the most memorable, and the computer game stuff is fascinating. Yes, Gardner gets Bond wrong in places, but it's a fast read that I couldn't put down.
The second half,after Bond finds himself at the terrorist training camp, is more of a standard action adventure novel. It becomes nothing too inspired but still a more than decent read.
Underrated