15 replies to this topic

#1 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 11:51 AM

I am curious as to why Kingsley Amis is credited with being a Bond writer from 1965 to 1968. Is this due to the belief that he finished "The Man With The Golden Gun" after Ian Fleming died? John Cork of the Ian Fleming Foundation wrote an obituary of Amis that stated although he lent his opinion on certain ways to finish the book, he did not actually write anything in it. He did not rewrite nor add to the book.

-Joe

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 07:35 AM

Ah there is a reason for it, believe me. How many books did Amis write?

#3 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 03:58 AM

1. as robert markham

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:21 AM

Perhaps the James Bond Dossier counts as well

#5 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:25 AM

yeah that could do actually. But it does seem strange to include it on the basis that its a dossier and not a novel. Anyway, I always thought Aims should have written more novels, he's the closest style and substance wise to Fleming.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:35 AM

Well done Freemo :) When Brett (Blofelds Cat) and myself decided to include the dates we decided to include the James Bond dossier.

#7 JLMuench

JLMuench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 10:52 PM

Shouldnt this be in the trivia section? :)

#8 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 12:47 AM

Well done Freemo

Hey, I'm not just a pretty face you know. :)

#9 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:28 AM

What about Every Man his own 007? It's a fun little book that Amis wrote using Bill Tanner as his alias.

clinkeroo

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 09:56 AM

What year did he write it?

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
What year did he write it?

I've often thought that somehow this book tied into his work on TMWTGG. Like his wk and pay on GG was hidden within the contract for this book.

#12 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 04:57 PM

It was published in 1965 by Cape, and the same year by Viking in the States, so it still fits within your window. Its official title is The Book of Bond, or Every Man his Own 007 by Lt. Col. William (Bill) Tanner. It breaks down, comically, Bond's lifestyle into separate categories/chapters, and how the average man, or woman, can achieve these "standards" without too much trouble. Categories include: Drink, Food, Smokes, Looks, Exercise, Clothes, Cars, Gambling, etc. Although it is intended as humorous, it is almost an abbreviated version of the Dossier, and a great quick reference on Bond's character.
One great little quirk, the Cape edition has a reversible dust cover that shows the actual book on one side, but on the reverse side has the

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:59 AM

Kingsley Amis wrote "The James Bond Dossier",and "Colonel Sun" which are must reads for Bond fans. Ian Fleming read "The James Bond Dossier" before finishing TMWTGG . Amis is said to have "finished" the novel . There is a interesting "article"on www.007forever.com as to who ghost -wrote TMWTGG . To some Amis seem the ideal "heir" to Fleming , Ann Fleming objected . Colonel Sun is Amis's re-working the Bond myth from the conclusions he came to in "The James Bond Dossier". He keeps many of Bond's characteristics : golf , food , Drink , smoking . I feel that both books ought to be read in together. And are important in understanding Literary Bond.

#14 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:16 PM

Well done Freemo :) When Brett (Blofelds Cat) and myself decided to include the dates we decided to include the James Bond dossier.

View Post

Okay, that makes some sense, even though "The James Bond Dossier" isn't a novel. And there are certainly a lot of writers who have written detailed examinations of Fleming and the films.

Which brings me to Raymond Benson. Why is his tenure cited as 1997 to 2002 when "The James Bond Bedside Companion" (which has a style very similar to Amis' book) was originally written in 1984?

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:30 PM

[mra]I

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 October 2004 - 10:55 AM

Such is life. :)