13 replies to this topic

#1 tambourineman

tambourineman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

I was just browsing around the wikipedia at random Bond things, as I spend far too much time doing, and come across an atricle about Timothy Dalton appearing in Sony and Kevin McClory's Warhead 2000 circa 1999.

Im sure its old news for a lot of people here, but I was quite shocked when I read this. Anyone know how far along it was, and if there are any Dalton quotes on the subject? I didnt even know Dalton was even interested in 007 after the leaving the project.

And if it had happened, how do you think Thunderball Take 3 would have worked out? Would it have been worse then NSNA, or would it have given us another chance to see Dalton's awesome portryal, something that we didnt get to see enough of?

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:57 AM

I was just browsing around the wikipedia at random Bond things, as I spend far too much time doing, and come across an atricle about Timothy Dalton appearing in Sony and Kevin McClory's Warhead 2000 circa 1999.

Im sure its old news for a lot of people here, but I was quite shocked when I read this. Anyone know how far along it was, and if there are any Dalton quotes on the subject? I didnt even know Dalton was even interested in 007 after the leaving the project.

And if it had happened, how do you think Thunderball Take 3 would have worked out? Would it have been worse then NSNA, or would it have given us another chance to see Dalton's awesome portryal, something that we didnt get to see enough of?

I think its just fanboy speculation. NSNA only worked because it featured Connery back as Bond. Dalton was not a popular Bond, there was no huge demand for him to return as Bond, especially as Brosnan's movies were raking in the dough.

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

Dalton was just one of the names being thrown around by fans, the media etc. Liam Neeson and Sean Connery were the ones that I recall the most and it doesn't mean that Dalton was ever really interested. Dalton is a good friend of the Broccolis. I highly doubt any realistic sum of money could draw him back to the role in an unofficial (i.e., non-Broccoli) James Bond film.

#4 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:31 AM

Actually, the stories I read were that McClory and Sony wanted Dalton for the role because he was an established Bond. (They didn't want to take a chance on someone who may or may not be accepted in the role. Dalton, while not the most popular Bond, was accepted as a legitimate James Bond actor.)

With his career stuck in neutral he may have considered it - but MGM/EON shut the whole thing down in court, so it's a moot point now.

I wish that it could have happened, though.

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:37 AM

I wanted to see it too. At the time (around 98 or so) it was announced, I was really put off of Brosnan's two films at the time. I didnt care for the "new" tonal shifts the series had taken in regards to it's action sequences. I missed the old style shoot outs that didnt depend on how many squibs the producers could afford.

In any event, I was eager to see a new take on Bond.

#6 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:50 AM

Actually, the stories I read were that McClory and Sony wanted Dalton for the role because he was an established Bond. (They didn't want to take a chance on someone who may or may not be accepted in the role. Dalton, while not the most popular Bond, was accepted as a legitimate James Bond actor.)

With his career stuck in neutral he may have considered it - but MGM/EON shut the whole thing down in court, so it's a moot point now.

And remember, both of Dalton's Bond films were still international box office hits, so while not as financially successful as Brosnan's films, Sony still could have easily made a profit.

Its posters might have looked like this-

http://007art.free.f...ive/warhead.htm

http://007art.free.f...e/warhead2c.htm

http://007art.free.f...e/warhead2d.htm

Like the idea of Monica Bellucci(The Passion of the Christ) as Domino

#7 ChickenStu

ChickenStu

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, I kinda wish this got made. I certainly would've checked it out. I don't mind "Never Say Never Again", and it would've been interesting to see Dalton's Bond in an interpretation of that general storyline.
Wasn't Roland Emmerich attatched to direct this aswell?

#8 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

Nah, Dalton was NEVER going to do anything with McClory. He was and still is very good friends with the Broccoli's, esp. MGW.

#9 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

According to the press at the time, McClory said he liked Dalton's Bond, and wouldn't rule him out as a potential Bond for the Warhead film.

But I'm pretty certain Dalton dismissed the idea in an interview at the time, saying he had no interest in playing Bond again. Not that he would have done it anyway, because of his friendship with the Broccoli's.

Brozza had talks with The Kevster about remaking Thunderball in about 1990. I reckon he might have done it after his time, if the film was still on the drawing board.

#10 cameraguy

cameraguy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well, Dalton was my first cinematic Bond experience in TLD. I think he was finished with Bond in '94 maybe even in '93 when his contract expired and he realized his third outing was going to take at least another year and a half to get made. He was in his late 40's by then and had reastablished himself as an actor on the stage aside from Bond. I did believe him when he said in '94 that he felt too much time had passed since LTK in order for him to continue. Since he didn't want to do another film for Cubby Broccoli and Michael Wilson, both of whom he was/is friends with (he was one of Cubby's pallbearers remember), he would certainly not be Bond in a film that was going to be the second remake of Thunderball.
I think his involvement with the project (whether he was contacted or not) was mainly wishful thinking by McClory as well as a lot of fans.
In retrospect I'm rather glad a Dalton Warhead 2000 movie never got made. He had two solid outings as 007. Him starring in another Thunderball remake would have overshadowed his official Bond films in a negtive way (especially considering that all McClory could come up with for the first TB remake was NSNA which is one of my very least favourite films).

#11 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

Let's get all the Bonds do to a Thunderball remake-- it'll be a right of passage :cooltongue:

#12 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

If WARHEAD 2000 was going to be a non-canon bond, why do the alt posters say it's an EON production?

Good looking posters though.

#13 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

I'm not a big fan of the idea in general, but if it meant seeing Dalton play Bond one more time, it've been worth it to add one more film to the non-EON Bond list. NSNA was okay, but sorta mediocre. Although, the more I think about it, another version of the Thunderball story as a movie in the late 90's, if executed the right way, would actually be pretty interesting to see, (again, especially if it had Daton).

#14 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

Blah.

Yes, Dalton kicked [censored] as Bond. Yes, I wouldn't have minded seeing him doing more Bond OFFICIAL movies.

But "Thunderball take 3"? Yawn. You can only go to that well so many times. Even as a kid, I remember how pissed off I was when I first saw NSNA and realized it was just a remake of that other Sean Connery Bond that they showed every year on TV.

This "Warhead 2000" would have been a disaster. I am glad the courts finally put an end to McClory's hubris.