98 replies to this topic

#91 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

The only Craig thing that bothered me (and it's really slight, and not even worth caring about except that's the point of this post) is the scene where he asks soon-to-be-dead-girl (who's name escapes me) if she wants to have a drink at his place. While she's deciding, they trade silent looks, and Craig looked kinda goofy to me at that moment, rather than charming and irresistible. Of course, as a guy, perhaps I just don't know what charming and irresistible looks like when set on a man's face, but he seemed kind of bug-eyed and mildly crazy the way he stared at her. Maybe it was just choice of camera angle, who knows. But anyway, that's the only thing that made me go "meh" a little.

I see why you might think that, but to me (a straight male with no idea what a woman like Solange finds attractive) Craig's sex appeal lies in his playfulness, self-deprecating sense of humor, and confidence. I'll have to re-watch the scene you're talking about, but the whole exchange the two had struck me as Bond winning her over by being silly and not taking himself too seriously, and I remember most of his facial expressions also fitting into that.

Anyway, the only gripe I still have with Craig's performance is his "continue funding terror" mini-speech. Not a single other thing bothered me, honestly.

#92 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 03:39 AM

Of course, as a guy, perhaps I just don't know what charming and irresistible looks like when set on a man's face, but he seemed kind of bug-eyed and mildly crazy the way he stared at her.

Really? I watched it twice recently; first time around, he looked vaguely creepy, but the second time he just seemed to be trying to charm the dress off of her. :tup:

#93 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

I love the little ‘pop’ move he does with the DB5 keys after Vesper storms off into the elevator in a huff. He kind of tosses the keys for a split second then snatches them back with the same hand before he walks off screen. It’s those little touches that put the coolness in Bond.

Sort of reminds me of the scene in FRWL when Bond flips (a flashlight, I think it was) to Kerim Bay down in the tunnels. He could have more easily handed the object over, but obviously Young and co. thought of a cooler, smoother way to run the scene.

#94 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

Watched the first hour and half this weekend. Random thoughts for my Craig acting journal:

I honestly think Daniel Craig manages to be funny – the right kind of funny for Bond – in every scene he’s in. Ok, seriously… maybe not every scene, but then every sequence. There’s not a stretch of time in the film in which he doesn’t nail the dry humor that’s been missing in Bond for most of the past 40 years. The writing is good, and is a big help no doubt, but there are plenty of spots where a less conscientious actor would either let obscure opportunities slip, or might overplay the obvious hits.

Argh! He’s really so good. So detailed. I LOVE THIS NEW BOND!!!!

“Yes. Considerably.”

Notice the face. In his expression you can see him stop to consider the emotional effects of killing Dryden. And it’s, ‘well, YES. Yo are quite right Mr. Dryden. It IS easier this time.’ Of course at the same time he saying as much about the worthlessness of Dryden’s life as his own feelings towards extinguishing it. Ah, the good ol’ jab at the dead man. Finally we get that deliciously flippant attitude towards killing that defined the Connery era.

During the whole Miami sequence humor runs a little dry, but the pat on Dimitrios’ cheek is right on the mark (again the flippancy) and his look when he notices the keychain bomb snapped under the truck provides exactly the right amount of comic relief and helps smooth over the total implausibility of that particular sequence.

Worst line in the film has to be “you want to do what to me?” Yuck. Juvenile mockery straight from the bottom shelf of the Brosnan era and/or Billy Madison. The best Craig can do is make it forgettable allowing it to pass unnoticed, but even that is really nothing short of a miracle, ‘cause it’s a real stinker. I don’t know how the rest of the elements will compare, but think we’re going to see even less ‘questionable’ dialogue in QoS than we did in CR. Not that the latter set the bar low or anything.

#95 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Notice the face. In his expression you can see him stop to consider the emotional effects of killing Dryden. And it’s, ‘well, YES. Yo are quite right Mr. Dryden. It IS easier this time.’ Of course at the same time he saying as much about the worthlessness of Dryden’s life as his own feelings towards extinguishing it. Ah, the good ol’ jab at the dead man. Finally we get that deliciously flippant attitude towards killing that defined the Connery era.

I found that scene even more interesting because while Bond didn't give the guy the respect of being able to finish speaking, Bond also took him by surprise and probably didn't give him any time to stew in his impending death (well, other than the two minutes leading up to it).

My biggest criticism of the movie, apart from the fact that LeChiffre's shuffling of chips was unpolished and unwieldy

That reminds me, I was bothered by Bond scattering chips everywhere. Very rude, especially to the dealer. At least he more than made up for it with his tip. :(

#96 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

I found that scene even more interesting because while Bond didn't give the guy the respect of being able to finish speaking, Bond also took him by surprise and probably didn't give him any time to stew in his impending death (well, other than the two minutes leading up to it).

Yeah, I think there was plenty of stewing in that scene. Much more than I care to experience before my eventual death. :(

My biggest criticism of the movie, apart from the fact that LeChiffre's shuffling of chips was unpolished and unwieldy

That reminds me, I was bothered by Bond scattering chips everywhere. Very rude, especially to the dealer. At least he more than made up for it with his tip. :)

I think that was an entirely deliberate move to contrast Bond from LeChiffre (who always slides his stacks in neatly) and/or just to point another finger at Bond’s bold, reckless and blunt nature.

I don’t know if Campbell and co. were concerned with ‘real’ table etiquette. ie. I don’t think we’re supposed to feel for the dealer in any way. But, again, as you said... in either case you have to think that all's well with Mr. Dealer once Bond tips.

#97 Elvenstar

Elvenstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Oh my, I can go on and on about Dan's performance in CR (in a complimentary way of course) but I have some things that I didnt like for example his running manner. Many others (as well as me) complained that its a bit funny to see him running and I dont know really why...

But almost all other acting seems spot on. Of course I must give credit to the actor who dubbed Dan in our cinemas (btw he was also a voice of Brosnan!!!) Great voice indeed. I still watch the dubbed version on DVD more frequently than with original sound.

Some of my favourite Dan's acting bits:

Talk with M at the airport. Very funny (I dont know if it was intentional) when he says that he will call back or something like that.

Bit with a drink when every other man start to order the same as him.

Poisoning scene.

"That last hand"

"LOOK IN MY EYES!!!" :)

On the floor with Solange. (MMMMMM hottest blood runs through my veins :( )

Dinner jackets.

Train scene

And I dont know why (again) but my fav bit of his acting he displays
before the game with Dimitrios when he says to the Goldfinger-looking guy "Guten abend!"
I cant help but feel his cool in this simple scene. It stuck in my head and I use this in my everyday life instead of the usual "Добрый вечер" :)

Of course there are a lot of other great moments but the truth is simple - he's a fine actor (with wonderful expressive blue eyes last but no lest)

Edited by Elvenstar, 10 October 2008 - 01:05 PM.

#98 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Oh my, I can go on and on about Dan's performance in CR (in a complimentary way of course) but I have some things that I didnt like for example his running manner. Many others (as well as me) complained that its a bit funny to see him running and I dont know really why...

But almost all other acting seems spot on. Of course I must give credit to the actor who dubbed Dan in our cinemas (btw he was also a voice of Brosnan!!!) Great voice indeed. I still watch the dubbed version on DVD more frequently than with original sound.

Some of my favourite Dan's acting bits:

Talk with M at the airport. Very funny (I dont know if it was intentional) when he says that he will call back or something like that.

Bit with a drink when every other man start to order the same as him.

Poisoning scene.

"That last hand"

"LOOK IN MY EYES!!!" :)

On the floor with Solange. (MMMMMM hottest blood runs through my veins :( )

Dinner jackets.

Train scene

And I dont know why (again) but my fav bit of his acting he displays
before the game with Dimitrios when he says to the Goldfinger-looking guy "Guten abend!"
I cant help but feel his cool in this simple scene. It stuck in my head and I use this in my everyday life instead of the usual "Добрый вечер" ;)

Of course there are a lot of other great moments but the truth is simple - he's a fine actor (with wonderful expressive blue eyes last but no lest)

Yes, YES, YES!!!

Good stuff for a pointy-eared celestial body!

And yes, I do believe Craig hanging up on ‘M’ at the airport is meant to be funny. A Bond kind of funny. Presumptuous and bluntly effective. Exactly the kind of thing I was praising in one of my previous posts up there!

But that example brings up another point, and that is the inappropriateness of Dench’s M. Villiers coldly puts Bond on hold, which is funny. But then cut to M’s office, and she nearly knocks over her coffee rushing to answer Bond's distress call. (She doesn’t even know it’s a distress call at this point!)

She honestly looks like a MOTHER whose 14-year old son didn’t come home last night and has been awake all night staring at the phone waiting for his call. ALL WRONG! Why is Villiers ice cold and M a nervous wreck?

I’m really starting to miss the cold war too, M. :)

#99 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

I’m really starting to miss the cold war too, M. :(

No disrespect intended to Robert Brown, but it feels like M's chair has been empty since it was left vacant in FYEO. :)