153 replies to this topic

#61 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:36 AM

Good to see some FYEO fans on here. I agree that Melina is a great Bond girl, and Bond does not sleep with her until the end.

[font="Century Gothic"]
Or does he? There has always been some debate as to whether the two slept together at the hotel after their first meeting. It is hinted that perhaps they did but nothing is shown on screen except the two packing their bags the next morning (where Bond gives the warning on revenge).
Sir Roger in his commentary mentions the debate and says he thinks they did not (a view I agree with). However the two act like quarreling lovers later in Cortina. I guess it's a debate that will continue to be aired.

It's an interesting question, especially in light of Bond's love life in QoS. Both QoS and FYEO have a lead female character bent on avenging the death of her parents and Bond seems to back off with her for the most part in terms of advances, and they disagree more than once.

Both films also feature a secondary female character who seems to be there for little more than making sure Bond clearly scores with one woman in the film only to have her end up a sacrificial lamb.

Some people have pointed to TLD as the least sexy Bond picture, but there was at least a romance between Bond and Kara if no real sexual activity. I'd have to count FYEO as maybe the least sexy Bond film.

#62 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:58 AM

Some people have pointed to TLD as the least sexy Bond picture, but there was at least a romance between Bond and Kara if no real sexual activity.

There was sexual activity between Bond and Kara . . . in Afghanistan, at Kamran Shah's place.

#63 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

So, plainly I’m a big fan of the film, but its praise as being a ‘gritty 180 degree improvement on Moonraker’ is ridiculous, IMO.

#10 on my list, nestled between two other greats from the Roger era; SWLM and MR.

I actually saw both Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only when they came out during their respective summers and whereas I was thrilled by Moonraker, I was left utterly dissappointed by FYEO two years later.

This thread is supposed to welcome all the lovers of FYEO, but I think a few things need to be stated as per Judo's view...

Moonraker is less ridiculous than FYEO.

For such a supposedly 'gritty and realistic Bond film', we have the stupidity of the once-menacing Blofeld's final sentence, a car chase played completely for gags, Bond reduced to being a grandpa who proposes buying an ice cream for the secondary Bond Girl, and the utter humiliation of having a frickin' talking parrot saving the western alliance's defence capability. A TALKING PARROT saves the world! Prime Minister Thatcher is reduced to ridicule...again strictly for laughs.

There's more, but this is an appreciation thread...so I'll limit my criticisms to the stuff revolving around the word "ridiculous".

#64 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

I love FYEO. It's one of my top five favorite Bond films of all time.

Despite the silly pre-title sequence - which I consider to be the worst in Bond film history - the rest of the movie proved to be a superb spy thriller. And Moore was excellent in this film.

#65 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

The only thing wrong with the pts , which is great, is Blofeld's accent. He sounds like Dracula.

#66 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

Despite the silly pre-title sequence - which I consider to be the worst in Bond film history - the rest of the movie proved to be a superb spy thriller. And Moore was excellent in this film.

I actually really enjoy the pretitles with some great stuntwork, the reappearance of Blofeld, great music (Bond theme does not appear until Bond is in control) and the reference to Tracy.

It's not my favorite of the series but it's better than the PTS for Live and Let Die (Bond doesn't even appear and some guy in th U.N. is killed in a ludicrous manner, The Man with the Golden Gun and Tomorrow Never Dies (we all know that a jet fighters weapons don't work while it's on the ground).

#67 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

I actually really enjoy the pretitles with some great stuntwork, the reappearance of Blofeld, great music (Bond theme does not appear until Bond is in control) and the reference to Tracy.

It's not my favorite of the series but it's better than the PTS for Live and Let Die (Bond doesn't even appear and some guy in th U.N. is killed in a ludicrous manner, The Man with the Golden Gun and Tomorrow Never Dies (we all know that a jet fighters weapons don't work while it's on the ground).

I love the PTS to this film! Tracy's grave combined with a great actionscene makes it one of the best.

#68 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

I love the PTS in all ways but for Blofeld's involvement.

His appearance is anticlimatic and really rather disrespectful of the character. His dying line is worse than anything any pigeon ever did to the series.

#69 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

Some people have pointed to TLD as the least sexy Bond picture, but there was at least a romance between Bond and Kara if no real sexual activity. I'd have to count FYEO as maybe the least sexy Bond film.

TLD looks sexier than FYEO.

#70 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

FYEO was my first cinematic 007 outing and I loved it-it's my favorite Roger. I love Melina (despite her Bluto-esque mustache according to Jim), The locales, the mixing of a winter/summer time activities and the car chase which unconventionally uses a low performance car instead of the Lotus/Aston, forcing Bond's creativity and cunning. It has the last great ballad style title song too. And while I prefer John Barry I still enjoy Conti's disco driven score. :(

#71 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

I would say that LTK is the least "sexy" Bondfilm. Bond slept with Q.

I love the PTS in all ways but for Blofeld's involvement.

His appearance is anticlimatic and really rather disrespectful of the character. His dying line is worse than anything any pigeon ever did to the series.

You mean "Mister Boooooooond!".... ?

#72 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

at least he didn't snore. :(

#73 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

You have to be kidding, with all those amazing Greek locations and the fantastic Italian sequences. No disrespec to Maryam D'Abo (who is undeniably a beautiful woman) but she cannot hold a flame to Carole Bouquet (or even Cassandra Harris or Lynn Holly Johnson for that matter).

#74 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

I would agree that the skiing is the best in the series with OHMSS coming in second, but TSWLM having the very best ending of any ski chase, and, IMO, one of the most memorable PTS sequences.

#75 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Good to see some FYEO fans on here. I agree that Melina is a great Bond girl, and Bond does not sleep with her until the end.

[font="Century Gothic"]
Or does he? There has always been some debate as to whether the two slept together at the hotel after their first meeting. It is hinted that perhaps they did but nothing is shown on screen except the two packing their bags the next morning (where Bond gives the warning on revenge).
Sir Roger in his commentary mentions the debate and says he thinks they did not (a view I agree with). However the two act like quarreling lovers later in Cortina. I guess it's a debate that will continue to be aired.

My guess to that question would be that Bond and Melina waited to have sex until the end of the film. My evidence? Bond slips off Melina's robe and Melina says: "For your eyes only, Darling." She wouldn't say that if they had had sex before.

#76 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

You have to be kidding, with all those amazing Greek locations and the fantastic Italian sequences. No disrespec to Maryam D'Abo (who is undeniably a beautiful woman) but she cannot hold a flame to Carole Bouquet (or even Cassandra Harris or Lynn Holly Johnson for that matter).

I don't find the greek locations very aesthetically pleasing personally. Sorry, I hope that doesn't make me xenophobic! And something, I'm not sure what it actually is, makes the film look cheaper and less glamourous than either Moonraker or Octopussy. The film stock itself maybe? It's a very "grey" film.

As for Carole Bouquet, one word; tash! :(

#77 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

I don't find the greek locations very aesthetically pleasing personally. Sorry, I hope that doesn't make me xenophobic! And something, I'm not sure what it actually is, makes the film look cheaper and less glamourous than either Moonraker or Octopussy. The film stock itself maybe? It's a very "grey" film.

MR and OP have more glamorous set design. However, I wouldn't say that FYEO looks grey. The cinematography is stunning! Especially the scenes filmed under water and in Corfu.

#78 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

And something, I'm not sure what it actually is, makes the film look cheaper and less glamourous than either Moonraker or Octopussy. The film stock itself maybe? It's a very "grey" film.

As for Carole Bouquet, one word; tash! :(

The gunfight sequence in 'Albania' looks very cheap. It looks 'staged' as opposed to 'natural' and the film stock makes it look very cheap...as if it were an expensive The Saint episode made for TV. The underwater close ups look even cheaper! Pure Junk.

Carole Bouquet, although having nice eyes, can't act. She's not in the same league as Eva Green or Sophie Marceau in terms of French actresses. Even Claudine Auger from Thunderball was superior in the acting department.

I think Bouquet needed acting lessons more than she needed a wax job or electrolosis treatment..

She looked good to a then young teenager who didn't care about things like 'acting' but now, 27 odd years later, I think she's no better than Denise Richards or Tanya Roberts, two women who are at least sexy blonde eye candy.

What was really dissappointing then and now is that Cubby ran out of ideas after Moonraker...so he stole from FRWL (Cold War device: Lektor/ATAC, revenge: Kerim>Krilencu / Columbo>Kristatos), Thunderball (underwater sequences) and OHMSS/TSWLM (Skiing, bobsleigh run) and mashed it together with gag after gag.

For all the chat about FYEO being a 'serious Bond', the fact of the matter is that more than half the film is a comedy, with scenes played stricly for laughs and chuckles (see my previous post).

It's in the bottom quartile of the canon, i'm afraid. I'm not happy to say it, because I actually skipped off school on a Friday afternoon to see it back in 1981.

#79 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

I also love Columbo. His "pistachio nuts" smuggling bit is great.

Anytime someone says the words 'smuggling', 'smuggler', 'smuggle' 'gold', 'diamonds' or 'pistachio nuts' -- I reply with that line. It gets me a few confused looks sometimes.

I'm a huge fan of FYEO - it competes with TSWLM for my favorite Roger movie and is a definite top 10.

My only complaint is the PTS. It's much too throwaway in my opinion. I once suggested that a Bond/Blofeld showdown might've worked in LTK --with a similar PTS that ends with Tim on top of him throttling him rather than the drop into a smoke stack.

Otherwise it's one of the best Bond movies -- the chracters, action, and scenery are all perfect.

And it's tough not to love an appearance by the wine-drinking man.

#80 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm not sure what it actually is, makes the film look cheaper and less glamourous than either Moonraker or Octopussy. The film stock itself maybe? It's a very "grey" film.

MR and OP have more glamorous set design. However, I wouldn't say that FYEO looks grey. The cinematography is stunning! Especially the scenes filmed under water and in Corfu.

Well my view may be driven by just having watched it on Blu-ray and the clarity and color were simply stunning, especially during the Greek locations and the underwater shots. I would never refer to For Your Eyes Only as a grey film.

#81 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

The only thing wrong with the pts , which is great, is Blofeld's accent. He sounds like Dracula.

The voice is Robert Rietti - who also provided the voices of Largo (Thunderball), and Tiger Tanaka (YOLT).

The actor is the same guy who played Lobot in The Empire Strikes Back.

#82 Darth Prefect

Darth Prefect

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Bond reduced to being a grandpa who proposes buying an ice cream for the secondary Bond Girl

I'm only going to address this one head on because I think what you see as a weak spot is, in fact, one of the film's strengths. It's an example of an older Bond who recognizes that the girl is too young for him. That's refreshing and not something you see too often. Bond doesn't treat her obvious infatuation as ridiculous, but he's enough of a grown-up to see how silly it would be to sleep with this young girl. He handles the situation with class, grace and humor. It makes the true affection and attraction that he has with Melina all the stronger. This is a Bond who has moved beyond a desire to sleep with "girls". He needs a woman.

And while I don't care for the Thatcher stuff (the only negative in my favorite Bond film as far as I'm concerned), it hardly ruins what is an otherwise completely solid film (PTS, parrot and all).

#83 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

For all the chat about FYEO being a 'serious Bond', the fact of the matter is that more than half the film is a comedy, with scenes played stricly for laughs and chuckles (see my previous post).

What's wrong with mixing 'seriousness' with comedy, particularly in a Bond movie?? Anyhow, I don't see FYEO as a really serious Bond (actually, I don't think any Bond movie should fall- purely- in that category), I see it, simply as a more down-to-earth Bond in comparisson with its direct predecessor, which, by the way, I liked too, almost just as much as FYEO.

#84 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:56 AM

My favorite bond film.
Wondeful main bond girl,beautifullocations,great supporting cast & although he doesn't get much love alot of the time when it comes to villains,i feel one of the best bond villains.

#85 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

Okay, let me start out by saying I like For Your Eyes Only (don't love it, but I like it). The pts, I agree that Bond could have been more satisfied that he killed Blofeld. I mean come on, the guy just left his wife of 20 minutes graveside because of a "company helicopter" that was actually Blofeld. I'm sorry, but I would be very much urined off, but maybe thats just me. I'd have at least hit it with some kind of nod to that, like "That was for Tracy." or something. Rogers look at the Citreon getaway car was priceless. Having said that, I have a question: I am watching For Your Eyes Only on the UE DVD (and no, I am not getting Blu Ray.) and I noticed during the scene near the end where Bibi walks into the monestary and says "You can go to hell!", there is a jump in the film. If you are as geeky as I am and still have the DVDs, (because I do not know if Blu Rays count is the same) it ends at Chapter 28 Time 1:59:12. I would recommend starting at about 1:59:05. Watch it in slo mo, and what do you think. Bad editing, maybe?

#86 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

at least hit it with some kind of nod to that, like "That was for Tracy." or something.

I agree, but of course they weren't legally allowed to say it was Blofeld, and so it wasn't credited as that character - instead called "Wheelchair Villain" in the closing credits. It was just a two-fingered salute to Kevin McClory, and that's another story.

#87 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Bond reduced to being a grandpa who proposes buying an ice cream for the secondary Bond Girl

I'm only going to address this one head on because I think what you see as a weak spot is, in fact, one of the film's strengths. It's an example of an older Bond who recognizes that the girl is too young for him. That's refreshing and not something you see too often. Bond doesn't treat her obvious infatuation as ridiculous, but he's enough of a grown-up to see how silly it would be to sleep with this young girl. He handles the situation with class, grace and humor. It makes the true affection and attraction that he has with Melina all the stronger. This is a Bond who has moved beyond a desire to sleep with "girls". He needs a woman.
And while I don't care for the Thatcher stuff (the only negative in my favorite Bond film as far as I'm concerned), it hardly ruins what is an otherwise completely solid film (PTS, parrot and all).

You've said perfectly why the most overtly comic aspect of FYEO doesn't jar for me. FYEO partially, though with no great depth, focuses on Bond getting older and his reaction to Bibi's seduction says as much about how this man has changed as his attempts to dissuade Melina from gaining her revenge.

It's not so much Bond having moved beyond sleeping with "girls" or killing for revenge (as we'd see plenty of that in the future) but him not quite getting the kicks from it as he once did.

#88 007½

007½

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

I don't think there's any one specific thing that makes it a great film - it just is.

#89 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

You've said perfectly why the most overtly comic aspect of FYEO doesn't jar for me. FYEO partially, though with no great depth, focuses on Bond getting older and his reaction to Bibi's seduction says as much about how this man has changed as his attempts to dissuade Melina from gaining her revenge.

It's not so much Bond having moved beyond sleeping with "girls" or killing for revenge (as we'd see plenty of that in the future) but him not quite getting the kicks from it as he once did.

Completely agreed. I had never actually thought of that before, but I had read through this thread a few days ago and watched the film again with this in mind, and I think that this is something that's sitting under the surface of the film.

I don't think there's any one specific thing that makes it a great film - it just is.

Agreed. Having just watched the film again a few days ago for the first time in quite a while, I have to say that it's held up well since my last viewing of it.
It also reinforced for myself that this is easily Moore's best performance in the role, and it makes me wonder how he would have fared in a film in a similar style to LICENCE TO KILL or QUANTUM OF SOLACE. I think that he would have fared quite well, and would have been easily the best of the Bonds had he had a film like in his tenure.

#90 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

Completely agreed. I had never actually thought of that before, but I had read through this thread a few days ago and watched the film again with this in mind, and I think that this is something that's sitting under the surface of the film.

Agreed. Having just watched the film again a few days ago for the first time in quite a while, I have to say that it's held up well since my last viewing of it.
It also reinforced for myself that this is easily Moore's best performance in the role, and it makes me wonder how he would have fared in a film in a similar style to LICENCE TO KILL or QUANTUM OF SOLACE. I think that he would have fared quite well, and would have been easily the best of the Bonds had he had a film like in his tenure.

Good on ya, tdalton. But yes, it shows he was good in that type of role, even if he didn't enjoy playing a darker 007.