[quote]Was that "Cet obscur objet du d

#32 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

Best of Roger. One of the best films in the series. Best since 1967.

#33 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

Easily one of my top 5 Bond movies. And Roger's best. :)

#34 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:06 PM

Easily one of my top 5 Bond movies. And Roger's best.

It's great to hear from these other FYEO fans. I love the down-to-earth plot of this one, and it only just beats TSWLM, for me.

#35 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:08 AM

Watched it last night; great film. Probably the most emotionally-charged/melancholy Bond film since OHMSS, but in a strange way also one of the most fun. It features Moore's best performance as Bond, which is also one of the best performances as Bond.

Oh, and I personally really like the PTS.

#36 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

Me too.

Also compare the way London looks from the air, in this, compared to the PTS of TWINE, it's quite interesting.

#37 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

In response to that naughty person saying this movie is boring, a little read through this thread eases the mind.

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:23 AM

I know I am bumping up this thread, but I thought I'd post some of my favourite underrated images and scenes from the movie.

Attached Files

#39 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

Another FYEO fan here, I love it. Simply Roger's best. Definitely in my top 5, much action, great plot, great locations and Roger at his best. I also like the pre title with the return of Blofeld. Great film. :(

#40 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

My favorite part about FYEO may be the honest approach they take to Bond’s age. IMO, he’s right at the tip of his downturn. They put Roger in bed with peers, and make the point from the other end of the scale with his reaction to Bibi’s advances - a scene I LOVE. The whole film feels like the adventure of a savvy and experienced, but still physically capable, government agent (who is also an olympic level skier as is established by SWLM). After FYEO, Roger’s physical prowess (for what it was ever worth) is clearly sliding, and they try to counter that with more encounters with younger women. :(

So, plainly I’m a big fan of the film, but its praise as being a ‘gritty 180 degree improvement on Moonraker’ is ridiculous, IMO. The story was more down-to-earth, certainly, and the manner in which they treat Bond’s sexual appeal is also realistically handled, but FYEO only trimmed some of the cheesy humor, even lost some intensity and grit action-wise, and completely shot to hell all of the visual splendor of the previous film. A better director would have done wonders with this script and crew.

#10 on my list, nestled between two other greats from the Roger era; SWLM and MR.

#41 broadshoulder

broadshoulder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Its my favourite film of the series featuring my favourite Bond girl - Melina Havelock.

What I like it is that its a character piece - its not a world destroying villain but a shady bunch trying to outwit each other for an espionage mcguffin. No one quite trusts each other. Even Bond doesnt quite trust Melina until Corfu. But theres so many little stories going on - Bibi and Jacoba Brink, Kristatos versus Colombo, Kriegler and the KGB, Melina versus Gonzales. Its the characters which push it along.

Set with a gorgeous score in places (St Cyrils is a wonderful bit of music) and set it in the Meditterranean during the summer and you have top notch Bond. It feels more Fleming then the previous five adventures.

Its not splashy but mellow - there are no submersible cars or crocodiles - all there is a Greek girl with a crossbow and a grudge and a good story.

Edited by broadshoulder, 22 August 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#42 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Watched it last night; great film. Probably the most emotionally-charged/melancholy Bond film since OHMSS, but in a strange way also one of the most fun. It features Moore's best performance as Bond, which is also one of the best performances as Bond.

Yep, quite agree with your comment about Moore's performance being one of the best performances as Bond.

A lot of the reason why this is such a good film can be attributed to Moore's performance IMO. Praise must also go to John Glen though, who made a fantastic debut as a director.

#43 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

MAJOR . . . MAJOR fan of "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY". Not only is it my favorite Roger Moore Bond movie, it is one of my top five Bond movies ever.

#44 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:26 AM

They put Roger in bed with peers,

Interestingly enough, the difference in age between Bond and the leading lady is greater here than in any other Bond film, even AVTAK.

#45 Blofelds Cat

Blofelds Cat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

While Moore's tenure as OO7 doesn't sit well with me overall, I nevertheless count FYEO among my favourites. As a matter of fact of the six back-catalogue Bond's being released on Blu-ray later this year, FYEO is the one which I am most looking forward to watching in hi-def.

FYEO has all the elements which make for a 'classic' Bond film - insofar as my personal benchmark goes of course. There are only two things that stop FYEO from being a perfect viewing experience for me.

Good stuff, Rog.

#46 john.steed

john.steed

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

FYEO is also one of my favorite Bonds. While I enjoyed the two previous films, especially TSWLM, I did think at the time that it was a time for a change from the Epic Bonds. Hence, I enjoyed the move to the relatively more realistic FYEO. I also liked how they took interesting parts of different Fleming stories to make an original story.

#47 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

Yep, quite agree with your comment about Moore's performance being one of the best performances as Bond.

Well, thank you, but while I stand by my comments to some degree, I must admit that my fondness for the movie has decreased over the last year and a half. It's a good movie, but I find myself agreeing with Leslie Halliwell's review (and it's rare that I say that!) commenting that it leaves one with little to remember the next day. I think FYEO is that rarest of species; a film better seen than remembered.

#48 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

I love For Your Eyes Only. It's my third favorite Bond film. It's got a great plot, great stunts, and great music. Topol's Milos Columbo is second as an ally only to Pedro Armendariz's Kerim Bey. Carole Bouquet is good as Melina Havelock, I like Bibi Dahl, Aris Kristatos is a solid, understated villain. The best stunts are the car chase, ski chase, and rock climbing--the latter being very suspenseful. I don't have a problem with the parrot providing the key clue (it's set up honestly and works for me). I also like the ending with Margaret Thatcher, which I think is pretty funny. And, of course, there's Bond's killing of Emile Locque, which is one of the best scenes in the entire series. Thank you John Glen for insisting that Moore kick the car over--a definite classic.

The only things I don't like and would definitely change is Blofeld's idiotic statement of buying Bond "a delicatessen in stainless steel"--the absolute worst line in a Bond film. I'd also probably make Bond a little more pleased/relieved to have finally killed Blofeld off. The other thing I'd change is the hockey fight on the ice rink--one of the worst fights in Bond history. The only things that works in it is Bond taking the hockey stick away from a guy and hitting him with it and the initial assault on Bond ending up with a skate to the wall. Everything else is forgettable--particularly the horn buzzing and scoreboard tally--ugh.

#49 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:56 PM

My favorite part about FYEO may be the honest approach they take to Bond’s age. IMO, he’s right at the tip of his downturn. They put Roger in bed with peers, and make the point from the other end of the scale with his reaction to Bibi’s advances - a scene I LOVE. The whole film feels like the adventure of a savvy and experienced, but still physically capable, government agent (who is also an olympic level skier as is established by SWLM). After FYEO, Roger’s physical prowess (for what it was ever worth) is clearly sliding, and they try to counter that with more encounters with younger women. :(

So, plainly I’m a big fan of the film, but its praise as being a ‘gritty 180 degree improvement on Moonraker’ is ridiculous, IMO. The story was more down-to-earth, certainly, and the manner in which they treat Bond’s sexual appeal is also realistically handled, but FYEO only trimmed some of the cheesy humor, even lost some intensity and grit action-wise, and completely shot to hell all of the visual splendor of the previous film. A better director would have done wonders with this script and crew.

#10 on my list, nestled between two other greats from the Roger era; SWLM and MR.

Nice review. I read someone else's recent post that they liked that Bond was growing older gracefully in this one.

#50 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:20 AM

I read someone else's recent post that they liked that Bond was growing older gracefully in this one.

I find it ironic that if Bond is supposed to be growing older gracefully in FYEO that it's also the film that upped the action and emphasis on stunts. The same can be said somewhat of NSNA, where the emphasis on Bond's age is actually referred to, though.

#51 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:36 AM

I also like FYEO.
Part of the attraction for me, is that it is so apart from Moore's other entries, and is his "Down to earth" entry. He is using his wits to the fullest extent here. Like in the skiing scenes with Bibi, you can see its Rog there ski-ing for real, rather than the Blue screen in TSWLM, And Rog can be clearly seen doing some of the climbing scenes at the monastery. Very good film, always in my top 8 Bond films.

Edited by BoogieBond, 18 September 2008 - 04:56 AM.

#52 Shot Your Bolt

Shot Your Bolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:58 AM

For Your Eyes Only is a superb film and second only to TSWLM in the Bond series. I posted a review here:

http://debrief.comma...p...&pid=919174

#53 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

It also features the best Blofeld apperance in a bond film.

Mr.Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooond!

:(

Plus the supporting characters of Melina & Columbo are top notch!

#54 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

It also features the best Blofeld apperance in a bond film.

Mr.Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooond!

;)

Plus the supporting characters of Melina & Columbo are top notch!

I think it has a very underated cast. I love everything about this one.

:( :) :)

#55 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

Well this one is strongly becoming one of my favourite james bond movies of all time. That soundtrack HAS to be an amazing event!

"I love a drive in the country. don't you?"

#56 00Jaws

00Jaws

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

The locations in this Bond are probably the most beautiful ones in the whole series.
The biggest minus imo is the villain and his henchmen. Namely Kristatos and Loque. They are boring and don't add that certain "flavour" and charm. All the other Moores have better villains and henchmen.
I also like the score, it sounds old nowadays but i could imagine it was quite fresh in 81. Title song is also one of my favourites.

Overall to me it's Rog's fourth best Bond and i'd rank the movie around #10 in my list.

Edited by 00Jaws, 24 January 2009 - 11:40 AM.

#57 Marcato

Marcato

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I always smile at the place where bond says hello to the enemies in the CITROEN chase (a drive in the country) - so funny and so Moore-Bond

#58 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

I always smile at the place where bond says hello to the enemies in the CITROEN chase (a drive in the country) - so funny and so Moore-Bond

A favourite Moore's Bond moment of mine also. EXCELLENT, simply AMAZING! Sir Roger was a master at those types of moments. :) :(

#59 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

I watched it last night. Been having a Bond marathon. i skipped over the 70s. This has beautiful locations, great stunts. The music can seem dated at times, but it works very well in a lot of scenes. I like the tension when Bond is pursued by Locke and his henchmen up the elevator. Columbo stands with Kerim Bay and Marc Ange Draco as Bond's best allies. Also refreshing Bond only beds one lady in the film , till the end. Just a great movie, with drama, action, great scenery. My favorite Bond film , post-60's.

#60 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

Good to see some FYEO fans on here. I agree that Melina is a great Bond girl, and Bond does not sleep with her until the end.

Or does he? There has always been some debate as to whether the two slept together at the hotel after their first meeting. It is hinted that perhaps they did but nothing is shown on screen except the two packing their bags the next morning (where Bond gives the warning on revenge).
Sir Roger in his commentary mentions the debate and says he thinks they did not (a view I agree with). However the two act like quarreling lovers later in Cortina. I guess it's a debate that will continue to be aired.

Watched it last week in glorious Blu-ray and the movie is one of my favorites, most definately in my Top 5. I think Carole Bouquet is a fantastic Bond girl and truly beautiful as well as compelling (I've always had a thing for French women).
I think the skiing action is the best of the series and definately outdoes that of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and The Spy Who Loved Me (the less said about the abysmal The World is not Enough sequence the better). The battle at the mountaintop hideaway is also well handled and preceded by some thrilling rockclimbing.
The supporting characters are all excellent and there is a sense of genuine friendship between Columbo and Bond and Julian Glover gives a fantastic performance as the mercenary Kristatos. I even quite like Lynn Holly Johnson (a favorite actress/skater since seeing "Ice Castles") as the flirtatious Bibi and Bond's "I'll buy you ans ice cream" line has always brought a smile to my face. Cassandra Harris as the tragic Lisl is also well handled and if I was Columbo I would never have let her spend the night with 007.
In addition to skiing action I have always enjoyed underwater sequences in Bond movies so the excellent scenes in For Your Eyes Only were very enjoyable. It was not until years later that I learned that (because of a sinus issue) Carole Bouquet never actaully filmed a scene underwater.
All in all a great movie and one that contains my favorite Roger Moore 007 moment: "You left this with Ferrara I believe."