7 replies to this topic

#1 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 May 2001 - 05:37 PM

Do you all like Benson making up scenes on his film-novelisation. Personally, I find it sometimes irritating, because I felt as if I forgot a whole chunk of the film, and then when I watch it again, I found that it was Benson who made the whole thing up. Damn him!
However, this does give me a better insight of Bond as a character.

#2 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 May 2001 - 05:43 PM

I haven't read any of his film novelisations (SP) - would you say it's worth reading them? I've read Goldeneye by John Gardner - but that's it.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 11:15 AM

If Benson didn't create the additional scenes the books would be as boring as crap. It's the extra scenes that make them better than the films.

As for you Dave, hurry up and read TND Novelisation. It's the bes tof all of them!

#4 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 10:37 AM

Maybe they should do a new edition of it or something, then. The movie novelisation were never as good as High Time To Kill though.

#5 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 05:23 PM

I'll get the book ASAP! I have 11 days of exams left, then I'm done with the horrible things :)

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 11:26 PM

I have 3 exams left and I finish on the 11th :)

They're definetley worth a read. Great books! TWINE suffers as a result of being rushed. TND extra scenes are brilliant. Carver and Stampers back history is perfect!

#7 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 10:54 AM

Ok, point taken, but what I really dislike about Benson's novelisations is that he change things as well. Like he puts in different dialogue in TND, and the ending was slightly if not completely different to the film. When I read the book after watching the film, I thought, what the? I missed chunks of the film! And then I watched it again, and I realised that Benson was telling a lot of jitters. TWINE was basically a tale of the movie in words, and so it wasn't too bad.
Don't get me wrong, TND the book was great on its own, but when you put it together with the film, then it starts getting funny due to the inconsistencies.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 02:26 AM

The differences weren't his fault. They gave him the script to write the novel from and various set drawings etc... however, they then changed the script again and never gave him the differences.

So that's why the differences!