7 replies to this topic

#1 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

This is a thread for discussing the plotline of everything or nothing as opposed to discussing the elements of gameplay. Effectively, treating the story like a movie as opposed to a game.

Some observations that I made having just beaten it.

* Hurricane Katrina makes some of the New Orleans levels uncomfortable now (break the levies after all did happen)

* I was rather disappointed by Heidi klum's character. She was rather interesting.

* The storyline with the nanites was very over the top but oddly I could buy it more than the "death laser" of DAD.

* It's interesting they were able to insert the subtext to Diavalo's attempt to takeover Russia is based on his desire to restore the Soviet Union.

* It's curious that Max Zorin was Diavalo's mentor when Max couldn't have cared less about world domination, hated the Soviet Union, and doesn't seem the mentoring type.

* 007 also certainly has a habit of picking up the girlfriends of his fellow dead 00 agents.

* Is there really enough platnium in the world to make that many war machines?

* How DID Diavalo survive that plane crash? Did he eject without his girlfriend?

Just some thoughts thus far.

#2 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:10 AM

* The storyline with the nanites was very over the top but oddly I could buy it more than the "death laser" of DAD.

Nanites, I can buy. What I can't buy is an army of platinum-covered tanks in Russia.

* It's interesting they were able to insert the subtext to Diavalo's attempt to takeover Russia is based on his desire to restore the Soviet Union.

I think it's a boring and cliched villain plan that's been done many times over. They could have given Diavolo a much better motivation.

* It's curious that Max Zorin was Diavalo's mentor when Max couldn't have cared less about world domination, hated the Soviet Union, and doesn't seem the mentoring type.

It was nothing more than carelessly dropping a name, hoping to get people excited about the connection. That point was very poorly thought out.

* How DID Diavalo survive that plane crash? Did he eject without his girlfriend?

Supposedly. I don't buy it.

Overall, there's some good stuff in the game, but because it's a game, it wouldn't automatically work as a film. It would require a lot of restructuring, editing, and modification to make a decent film out of it.

#3 Willowhugger

Willowhugger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

Nanites, I can buy. What I can't buy is an army of platinum-covered tanks in Russia.

I was able to buy this to a certain extent because of my belief that Diavalo didn't actually have a full army but a relatively small number of war machines. Since Bond himself is enough to turn the tide then its really a matter of D risking everything to try to capture the government and force them to submit to his demands. He gambled everything on his nanites since he only has a relatively small force.

I think it's a boring and cliched villain plan that's been done many times over. They could have given Diavolo a much better motivation.

Given I'm so utterly sick of guys just out for money, I couldn't honestly disagree with you more. Take Elliot Carver's motivation of wanting television network access in China. That's not cliche but it's stupid. Some old fashioned idealogy may have been done before but given there was a military coup in Russia then it actually ties the charcter to the real world without being dumb like DAD.

It was nothing more than carelessly dropping a name, hoping to get people excited about the connection. That point was very poorly thought out.

And I'm still very glad that they did it. Even if there's no explanation why someone like Max Zorin would be able to be friends with Diavalo (they both are into the same type of crazy) then that's still better than just leaving the Bond characters in the utter absence that they existed before.

Supposedly. I don't buy it.

I would have preferred a cut scene where he murders her or something otherwise villainish. I don't mind "villains that refuse to die" like Liquid Snake in Metal Gear Solid (very linked to the Bond series anyway) but Diavalo isn't exactly Liquid.

Overall, there's some good stuff in the game, but because it's a game, it wouldn't automatically work as a film. It would require a lot of restructuring, editing, and modification to make a decent film out of it.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think that you really need to change the basic plot that much to bring it up to speed and I think it works very well as a storyline in the Bond universe as a game without removing it from the rest of the world. Nanites work for me about as well as a space laser.

#4 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

I thought making Zorin Diavolo's 'mentor' was just a shameless DAD-style 'homage' that was completely ludicrous as once again, it makes Bond too old. I also didn't like that according to this game AVTAK takes place in the same continuity as the Brosnan films. I prefer to think of all the different actors as having independent continuities from each other.

Other than that, the story wasn't bad. Terribly silly, but nothing could be worse than DAD and we have CR now so past-silliness doesn't bother me as much. I really thought that there wasn't really any particularly good dialogue outside of Bond's and Q's. M was just an expositionary character and Diavolo was just an over-the-top stereotype (how they ever landed Dafoe is beyond me).

The game itself is easily my favourite Bond game ever and it blew me away completely with its high-production values and superior level-design and features, but we're not talking about that. :)

#5 007FANATIC

007FANATIC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:32 AM

Personally, I love the story.
It definitely should have been a movie.
BTW, I love the Zorin reference that Bond makes. B)

#6 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

"We once played bridge together" might be the best line Brosnan ever got to say in the part.

#7 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

BTW, I love the Zorin reference that Bond makes. :tdown:

I'm in complete agreement B)

#8 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

BTW, I love the Zorin reference that Bond makes. :tdown:

I'm in complete agreement B)

Agreed, Conlazmoodalbrocra and 007FANATIC! I think that EoN was one of THE best Bond games EVER! It's the only reason I still have my "outdated" gamecube. :tdown: