55 replies to this topic

#31 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

The 'Much appreciated, Brother" line kinda bothered me, but the scene where Felix distracted Bond in order to stop him from killing Le Chiffre was awesome.

Edited by MR. BOND 93, 29 November 2006 - 09:22 PM.

#32 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

I hope this is the beginning of their eventual friendship.

#33 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

Agreed. Plus the chemistry between Craig and Wright seemed better than any other Bond movie that featured Leiter in it.

Edited by MR. BOND 93, 29 November 2006 - 09:30 PM.

#34 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:04 PM

Do people have a problem with the line because Felix is black in this movie? As in if a white guy said the exact same line, none of you would have a problem? One person in this thread typed it as "brotha" which is rather sad. Seems like a lot of people are making a deal out of nothing, IMHO. Langley and MI6 often refer to each other as "brothers" in real life, films, and books. It's even been mentioned in previous Bond novels - specifically I recall it used in one of Gardner's novels (Licence Renewed maybe?) where they stamped a file with the line "Not For Brotherhood" (which I thought would make a good Bond title) which meant that it wasn't to be shared with Langley. I'm sure there are other uses.

:)

#35 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

I have no problem with it. I actually prefer Leiter to be black.

#36 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

I like the line "Not For Brotherhood" as a title as well, K1. And I don't think many folks have a problem with the race issue. At least, I certainly hope not. :)

Actually, I thought I'd have more issues with not sticking to Fleming's Felix, but the spirit is totally there, and Wright is a terrific actor. (Don't get the wrong idea from my sig! :P )

#37 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

I like the line "Not For Brotherhood" as a title as well, K1. And I don't think many folks have a problem with the race issue. At least, I certainly hope not. :)

I don't think many people have a problem that he's black, but instead with the use of a word that has a sort of racial association depending on its usage. Clearly this thread exists... whatever. I guess I don't see a problem .. or why this thread does exist.

#38 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

Yes...good point! :)

#39 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

At least Bond doesnt go comedically ethnic like he does in TMWTGG with "I shuaa aahhhm, booyy!" when replying to Sherriff JW Pepper.

Actually, that quote easily makes my Top 10 :)

#40 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

TMWTGG and CR are like polar opposites of politically correctedness.

#41 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:25 AM

Agreed. Plus the chemistry between Craig and Wright seemed better than any other Bond movie that featured Leiter in it.

Thank you finally! I couldn't agree more.. This is (in my mind) the first time that Bond and Leiter are believable friends!

Whoever pointed out the "Not for Brotherhood" cue from the novel is right.. If anything, the 'brother' line reminded me of Connery's repetition of the phrase "Spectre" in front of Largo.. Leiter is trying to remind Bond of their shared interest in the case (as well as to cement their new buddy relationship :))..

Nuf Said!

#42 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:12 AM

Wright is fantastic in CR... and I have a hunch that he took what amounts to a pretty small part after being promised that he'd have a lot more to do in the next film. If we can't have another involving romance in the next film, then how about a blossoming friendship?

Now, has anyone noticed this:

In the scene on the stairs, as Wright talks to Craig, he gets very close, and if you look at his eyes, he's not always keeping eye contact, his eyes drop and he appears to look Craig's face up and down, and look at his mouth.

I hesitate to say this round here but... it's vaguely erotic :) :P

#43 Mathis05

Mathis05

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:24 AM

All I can hope for is a greater part for Wright to play in Bond 22. That casting and his role has so much more potential to drive a story. Great fun!

#44 Stylo

Stylo

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:08 AM

Do people have a problem with the line because Felix is black in this movie? As in if a white guy said the exact same line, none of you would have a problem? One person in this thread typed it as "brotha" which is rather sad. Seems like a lot of people are making a deal out of nothing, IMHO. Langley and MI6 often refer to each other as "brothers" in real life, films, and books. It's even been mentioned in previous Bond novels - specifically I recall it used in one of Gardner's novels (Licence Renewed maybe?) where they stamped a file with the line "Not For Brotherhood" (which I thought would make a good Bond title) which meant that it wasn't to be shared with Langley. I'm sure there are other uses.

I have no problem with any element of the casting, or the word "brother" whatsoever. It's very hard to imagine Jeffrey Wright wanting to play part written as "Token Gangsta CIA Guy". Equally hard to imagine Paul Haggis signing off on such a thing.

In the scene on the stairs, as Wright talks to Craig, he gets very close, and if you look at his eyes, he's not always keeping eye contact, his eyes drop and he appears to look Craig's face up and down, and look at his mouth.

I hesitate to say this round here but... it's vaguely erotic

LOL! He sees what would be obvious to a CIA agent - Bond is holding something behind his back and Leiter is trying to get a good look - then he sees the knife and says "have some faith, brother" as if he senses Bond's rage and desperation. It's brilliantly written and acted.

#45 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:32 AM

If Felix shows up again, I hope they use Jeffery. Not only because he did so well, but also to provide some continuity with the character. That was always botheriing me over the course of the serries.

#46 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

I absolutely hope Jeffrey Wright's Felix returns. For continuitys sake, and for the fact he is one cool Felix.

#47 VisualStatic

VisualStatic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

I didn't even think of it as an ethnic line. When I heard him say it, my immediate thought was that he meant a fellow intelligence agent, sort of a brother's in arm type reference. Since I'm sure that the CIA and MI6 have worked together before.

#48 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

All I can hope for is a greater part for Wright to play in Bond 22. That casting and his role has so much more potential to drive a story. Great fun!

Agreed. I think they have set it up very nicely for some further development next time round. Just hope they don't go down the buddy movie route.... not that there's much risk. Anyway, Wright was great and had good chemistry with Craig (as far as can be judged from so little...).

#49 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:46 AM

Speaking of Wright as Felix, thought I's share this page from YTMND. Pretty funny little gag there: http://felixdoesnotbelong.ytmnd.com/

:)

Wright kicked [censored] as Felix. Really hope he gets a bigger part in Bond 22.

Edited by Arch Stanton, 09 December 2006 - 02:46 AM.

#50 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

I hesitate to say this round here but... it's vaguely erotic :P :)

I think they were playing Gay Chicken.. Craig won :P

Noooo, I didn't think it was erotic at all, I think they didn't want to be overheard, and Leiter was trying to get the knife away from Bond! Sheesh :)

#51 YellowDetective

YellowDetective

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

[quote name='shady ginzo' post='658640' date='28 November 2006 - 15:47']firstly, I thought the Felix "reveal" on the stairs was brilliantly done and would have been extra satisfying if the viewer were unaware of the casting.[/quote]

No kidding... I tell you, after reading the book only 2 mos ago, I was wondering when Leiter was going to introduce himself. I LOVED the way it was done... And the way he gave Bond the re-buy was better, too. It makes a lot more sense than simply being an onlooker who has money wired to out hero.

[quote name='shady ginzo' post='658640' date='28 November 2006 - 15:47']While I agree it could also be a cloak and dagger slang for

#52 Odd Job

Odd Job

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:29 AM

Like a lot of other posters, I thought Jeffrey Wright 'rocked' as Felix. It would be great to see him back in Bond 22 with a larger part. In the meantime, may I recommend watching him in 'Syriana'. This is an excellent and very thought provoking film.

#53 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

Yep, JW was probably the best Felix I've seen :cooltongue: . His Felix and DC's James Bond could quite believably become friends in the way Fleming had them in the books. I took the brother as both a reference to their 'special working relationship' and as part of that Felix's everyday vocabulary. It's unfortunate that the word has racial connotations now, and I admit it is probably most often used in certain racial contexts, but I also have some white, male Australian friends who call each other 'brother' as standard in the same way they call each other 'mate', and they're not related. Coming from JW it didn't seem at all forced to me and I'd love to see him more in the next films.

#54 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

I'd consider it a compliment if Jeffery Wright called me 'brother.'

#55 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:37 AM

firstly, I thought the Felix "reveal" on the stairs was brilliantly done and would have been extra satisfying if the viewer were unaware of the casting.

Yes, it was great as I didn't know he was Felix. I had also forgotten that Felix was in the movie at all, until that point.

#56 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have no problem if Felix and Bond start to refer to each other as brother.

However, if Bond starts to ask Felix to