30 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

After Vesper dies, Bond is on the boat in Venice talking to M. Afterwards, he looks at Vespers things and picks a shell out--then checks out her phone and finds Mr White's number.

What relevance is the shell? stromberg and me thought that perhaps it was from a deleted scene that didn't make the final cut - like where Bond and Vesper are swimming in the sea during his recovery.

I re-read the script at that part but couldn't see any mention of a shell. I thought maybe one of them gave it to the other as a gift or something after coming out from the sea, while laying on the beach...

Any ideas?

#2 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Just a memento from the beach, I suppose.

#3 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Maybe just a memento, but why have it so prominently in a key scene when there is no explanation for it at all?

The easiest way to explain it certainly is that it is a reference to a scene that was ommited from the beach sequence (which - given the pictures that we saw before must have been heavily cut). On the other hand I refuse to believe that they would let slip something like that in this film.

The question is: does Bond know the meaning of the shell (if it has one at all - it might as well be nothing but a souvenir)? Or is it more something like a clue given by Vesper, the meaning of which he has yet to find out?

I've come to the idea that this is one of the many loose ends the film has, and on which Bond 22 has to tie on - What is ELLIPSIS? What is it with Mathis? What about Mr. White? What's the name of the organisation and what is the great masterplan behind all this?

#4 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

Isn't ELLIPSIS the password for the security door at Miami?

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:00 PM

Yes, but there has to be a greater meaning behing it, as it is also used as the "Go" signal for Molakka.

#6 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, ELLIPSIS is the password for the security door at Miami airport. It was handed to each of the bombers via Dimitrius via Le Chiffre.

Le Chiffre says something to the words of, 'When does ELLIPSIS expire?' - here referring to the password.

But the shell... there's no clear answer.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

What I was thinking as well.

#8 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:34 PM

What I was thinking as well.

Ditto.

#9 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:42 PM

Interestingly, Bond doesn't take possession of Vesper's necklace as he had in the script draft. That was quite symbolic. But we also didn't see Bond throw Vesper's possessions into the canal either. I suppose there could be some significance to the shell, but most likely a simple memento.

#10 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

It has to have something to do with Mr White. Pretty much right after that scene, Bond goes to see White and, well, you know what happens next.

Maybe it was in a deleted scene. She may have mentioned something or let something slip, and Bond puts 2 and 2 together and gets a big mofo gun.

#11 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

It has to have something to do with Mr White. Pretty much right after that scene, Bond goes to see White and, well, you know what happens next.

He gets Mr White's mobile number from a message left by Vesper on her phone, after he's put down the shell.

#12 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

He gets Mr White's mobile number from a message left by Vesper on her phone, after he's put down the shell.

Dammit, you're right.

Okay, ignore me. :)

#13 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

I don't think there's any significance to the shell. Just a reminder of happier times.

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

I think it's just a momento.

But speaking of deleted scenes, I am hoping they release an extended cut with those deleted scenes included when they bring out the DVD, rather than just listing them as deleted scenes.

#15 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

What they didn't focus on that I thought was a great throwback to the novel is the bottle of Guerlain's 'Ode' right below the shell.. what a nice hint back to the book and the Fleming era :)

#16 MrMoneypenny

MrMoneypenny

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

What they didn't focus on that I thought was a great throwback to the novel is the bottle of Guerlain's 'Ode' right below the shell.. what a nice hint back to the book and the Fleming era :)

Wow, that is a nice referrence! As for the shell, of course it's from the beach. The beach where Bond tells Vesper he loves her! I mean, pretty big for him to utter those words!!!!

#17 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:47 PM

A very nice reference indeed :)

#18 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

I think it's just a momento.

But speaking of deleted scenes, I am hoping they release an extended cut with those deleted scenes included when they bring out the DVD, rather than just listing them as deleted scenes.

Me too. It might be an inferior cut of the film, but there was so much material cut that I would like how to see it play with all of it edited into the whole.

#19 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

Yes, but there has to be a greater meaning behing it, as it is also used as the "Go" signal for Molakka.

ELLIPSIS as the title for Bond 22, anyone? :)

#20 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:01 PM

ELLIPSIS as the name of the terrorist orginisation, maybe :)

#21 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:52 PM

I thought the shell worked. Merely a small detail of their relationship. Why does it need to be spelled out? Spoon feed no more! I see many of you speculating as to what it means and THAT is exactly why it is there - for the audience to bring their own meaning to it. It obviously contained some memory and meaning for Bond. Just a small detail. And in filmmaking, God is in the details. Do the math, my friends...

#22 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

I agree but I wish I didn't so we could fist fight :)

#23 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

I thought the shell worked. Merely a small detail of their relationship. Why does it need to be spelled out? Spoon feed no more! I see many of you speculating as to what it means and THAT is exactly why it is there - for the audience to bring their own meaning to it. It obviously contained some memory and meaning for Bond. Just a small detail. And in filmmaking, God is in the details. Do the math, my friends...

Indeed... but most importantly it shows Bond that their relationship did mean something to her. He might have doubted that, but her keeping a memento suggests she was genuine.

#24 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

Just an idea. Seeing as Bond 22 is a kind of 'carry-on', could it be a 'tie-in'?.

#25 ckoch

ckoch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts
  • Location:Aboard my stealth ship on the Bow River - Calgary, Canada

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

It would have made more sense for it to be the Algerian love knot necklace or something that he holds in his hand at the end of the movie because with that at least we knew what it was and why it would hold some significance for Bond. With the shell all we can do is speculate.

#26 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

Actually the sea shell made me think of "The Hilderbrand Rarity" which is set in the Seychelles Islands. I agree now with those who say it's just a memento from the beach.

#27 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

I was going to start my own thread until I found this one in a search (although it's no longer spoiler necessary now).

Can anyone add to this discussion now that the DVD is out?

To me "the shell" DOES seem to have a major significance that the audience is supposed to be able to latch onto from a previous scene. It also seems to me that the shell reminds Bond of something that makes him pick up Vesper's mobile.

If what a few people have suggested is true (it's just a memento) then it's a very lazy plot point to use. It's like those old TV whodunits that the audience can't possibly solve, but the hero suddenly recalls some event never heard or seen earlier in the show that ties everything together to catch the culprit.

#28 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, ELLIPSIS is the password for the security door at Miami airport. It was handed to each of the bombers via Dimitrius via Le Chiffre.

Le Chiffre says something to the words of, 'When does ELLIPSIS expire?' - here referring to the password.

But the shell... there's no clear answer.

I just assume that it represented Bond and Vesper's time together following the incidents of Montenegro. After all, the movie did show one scene with the couple at the beach.

#29 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

I think Vesper deliberately left the shell in her bag so that Bond would find it, and remember that it was at this point he told her that he loved her. She wanted him to know that it really meant something to her, and the shell signified that. The realization that Vesper's feelings for him were genuine prompted him to think that maybe she'd left something else for him, too. He checked her cellphone, and sure enough there was the message for him about Mr. White.

#30 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

I think Vesper deliberately left the shell in her bag so that Bond would find it, and remember that it was at this point he told her that he loved her. She wanted him to know that it really meant something to her, and the shell signified that. The realization that Vesper's feelings for him were genuine prompted him to think that maybe she'd left something else for him, too. He checked her cellphone, and sure enough there was the message for him about Mr. White.

I like that explanation. The shell could be her way of saying, "I loved you, too." Why else would she keep a memento of that day? I think it would be some pretty elementary-level storytelling to have had the shell be an explicit clue, rather than just a memento from the beach. When I first saw it (and every time since), my mind just went straight back to the scene on the beach that took place 15 minutes prior. It was quite possibly the happiest day of Bond's life. IMO, that's significant enough as it is, and the shell needn't have been an obvious link to Mr. White from a cut scene (although I can't wait to see those as well!). Bond has always been known as a pretty intuitive fellow...it's pretty thin, but it's possible that he remembered Vesper sending a message in their room (which was probably the one about Mr. White) and checked it on a hunch. Just my musing.