14 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Woodpigeon

Mr Woodpigeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:45 AM

Just found on Amazon a book by Amis called The James Bond Dossier . What was this? Is it now out of print?

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:07 AM

This was the first serious look at the literary Bond in depth and before Amis was tapped to write Colonel Sun. He breaks down the books into chapters on the girls, villains, etc. It's a good read.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:01 AM

Turn sums it up nicely. Definitely one to pick up if you're at all interested in the literary James Bond. It's usually pretty cheap (used) on amazon and eBay.

#4 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

I highly recommend this amusing, highly incisive essay into the literary James Bond from the author who would become the first continuation novelist. For example, Amis ponders what Bond's job really is and concludes that, if Bond's duties were fairly analyzed, Fleming would have titled his book "The Medium Grade Civil Servant Who Loved Me." For those who haven't read Fleming's books, this is a great introduction to the novels and the character of James Bond. For those of use who love the books, it offers a lot of insights as to why Bond continues to fascinate.

#5 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:59 PM

It is a terrific source of reference with some *very* witty commentary from Mr Amis. I cannot recommend The James Bond Dossier highly enough.

#6 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

...great book, although just a tad too clever for me; I honestly prefer O. F. Snellings "007 James Bond: A report" - more fun. See discussion Snelling vs. Amis further down.

#7 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

Good book. I found it in the university library and took it out for a read.

#8 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

Just found on Amazon a book by Amis called The James Bond Dossier . What was this? Is it now out of print?

This is a very insightful and enjoyable read; I highly recommend it.

:tup: :tup:

#9 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

I enjoy my copy of the Dossier, but agree with the earlier comment that Snelling's book is a little better.

If you see it for a good price - buy it and enjoy it!

#10 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

I endorse everything the members above have said about this book. Also, O F Snelling's book, referred to above, is worth a read too.

Also, if you obtain a copy of the Dossier with a dust jacket on, you'll recognise some of the original Richard Chopping images from the novels, combined together.

It's a good read from a distinguished author and obvious Fleming enthusiast.

#11 perdogg

perdogg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I wonder who owns the printing rights to both Col Sun? Does Ian Fleming Publication own the rights? I wish they would at least come out with an ebook/Kindle.

#12 Ren

Ren

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Copyright Glidrose Productions Ltd, 1968

#13 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

You can still get reasonably priced pre-owned copies. I recommend this as one of the very best works on the literary Bond of Ian Fleming. It puts a light on numerous aspects of the original books and deciphers their impact, effect and significance for the reader and - up to a point - the genre in general. It's so valuable in particular because the approach to the various elements of the Bond canon gives readers a tool for their own analysis without requiring them to agree with every single thesis Amis elaborates on. Your own observations may differ significantly from Amis, but his work nonetheless can help you nailing down what makes the originals work for you. It's also a tool for the deeper assessment of the continuations, particularly Amis own COLONEL SUN.

#14 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Both the Snelling and Amis books are excellent. I've reread both several times, though not recently.

#15 perdogg

perdogg

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

I actually have found hardcopies of both The James Bond Dossier and 007: A Report for reasonable prices. The James Bond Dossier is a Jonathan Cape, with dustjacket and I aslo found 007: A Report with a dustjacket.