The pros and cons of Benson!

65 replies to this topic

#61 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 August 2001 - 02:05 PM

Actually the question was "Is there anyone else who can't stand Benson". I just want to know if there's anyone else who doesn't like him.

#62 bridge

bridge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 01:14 AM

Boldman (04 Aug, 2001 03:05 p.m.):
Actually the question was "Is there anyone else who can't stand Benson".  I just want to know if there's anyone else who doesn't like him.

Count me then. I don't hate him but I surely don't like him, either.

#63 bridge

bridge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 01:17 AM

Jacques Nexus (04 Aug, 2001 01:55 p.m.):
I think the best way to sort out this whole question is to ask:

Who besides Benson can write GOOD Bond novels ?. The answer ?. I don't know. Can people suggest candidates ?. At this point of time Benson, with his expertise in the Bond character, has to be the best man for the job.

In the old days I used to think to myself why didn't scriptwriter Richard Maibaum write or collaborate in the writing of new 007 novels. Geewhizz !...they would have been corkers !!!.

Even if there are no other Bond authors out there, it does not mean that Benson is just good enough. Besides, there must be some great authors that we don't yet know about simply they don't have the fame other authors do have.

#64 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 06:46 AM

This thread is turning sour, sorry to say it. I don't want complications in this community at any stage of it's hopefully long life. While I can see that people out there do not like Benson and that there are those out there who do I must say this. Unless this topic receives better and more substantiated posts I'm going to have to close it.

I'm not trying to close down any peoples opinions, mearly stop arguements that could turn sour.

#65 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:57 AM

zencat (29 Jul, 2001 07:59 p.m.):
I'd like to see Bond in a real 21st century hot zone, like the Middle East or Africa. Bond in Israel? That would rock! I know Benson doesn't wanna travel to these locations (can you blame him for not wanting to go to Iran), but I think he should. I think it would inspire him and could lead to a real masterpiece of modern espionage. It could be his FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE, and it could be a Bond book that crosses over to the non-Bond reading public.

I would like to see it happen, however, you must remember that FRWL was Fleming's best not so much for it's plot but because it's a very fine piece of LITERATURE with Fleming's best characterisation of Bond. His descriptive writing was superb. It's no wonder the novel was #9 in President Kennedy's all time favourites. Benson isn't capable of producing an equivalent to FRWL in terms of LITERATURE. The last time a 007 novel hit the bestseller lists was with Gardner's first book or two; and that was because it was a novelty the world was hungry for.
How do we get 007 back on the bestseller lists again ?...I don't know.

#66 Boldman

Boldman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 08:24 PM

Posted by Blue Eyes:
This thread is turning sour, sorry to say it. I don't want complications in this community at any stage of it's hopefully long life. While I can see that people out there do not like Benson and that there are those out there who do I must say this. Unless this topic receives better and more substantiated posts I'm going to have to close it.

Not quite sure what you mean there. I don't think this thread is a threat to the life of your forums at all. Although we seem to be going round in circles, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Feel free to edit any of my posts you find offensive.

Posted by bridge:
Even if there are no other Bond authors out there, it does not mean that Benson is just good enough. Besides, there must be some great authors that we don't yet know about simply they don't have the fame other authors do have.

That's exactly how I feel. They should look a bit harder before hiring Benson for more books.