740 replies to this topic

#691 __7

__7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Here's one that's "unorthodox".  This harkens back to my very first post on Commander Bond.  A view of Bond SO unorthodox that it got a bunch of people angry with me and many thought I was simply a troll and not a true Bond "fan".  Based on certain convictions, I would very much prefer Bond didn't sleep with any woman who was not his wife.  This would therefore limit this aspect of Bond's character to Tracy Bond.  I don't mind romance or beauty or lady companions or villains on his adventures, but there you go...there's my very unusual Bond opinion.  And I'll bet I'm virtually alone on that, but that's okay.  I don't mind swimming against the tide.

Not puting this out for debate.  In fact I won't debate it.  I did that like nine years ago.  Just adding to the list of "unorthodox" Bond opinions, which this DEFINITELY is.

You are not alone, sir.  In fact I would look forward to the reintroduction of Tracy into the series now that is has been rebooted with CR.  Would she have to die? Wouldn't be Flemming, but would that matter?  Perhaps introduce her, have the OHMSS ending and then have him remarry in a later film.  You could then have all the love scenes you wanted with he and his wife.  In any event, as opposed to having love scenes with every new Bond girl, have him just assassinate more baddies in the films.  It would certainly be a different take on 007 that's for sure.

#692 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

Less sex, more killing."You didn't say what part of the States you're from."

#693 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:20 PM

Nothing to see here.

Edited by The Shark, 22 September 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#694 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

Make Idris Elba Bond. Keep Tracy white. Show them married and making love. Watch the breakdown of essential social services.

Unless 'Tracy' is just a nickname for the man in Bond's life.

'Splatterhand': the last Bond film before EON HQ and Pinewood Studios get fire-bombed into oblivion by the decent, moral, God-fearin' right.

#695 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

Before you respond, _7, just let me say that I know my last post was OTT, but it wasn't directed at you personally. It was more in response to the Shark's (original) post than yours.

However, I like the phrasing too much to take it down.

Remember how this all started:

Thought this would be a good idea for a thread. Please share your blasphemous, rabble-rousing, and just plain subversive opinions about the James Bond movies, things you have a different opinion on from what you think the Bond public has.

You are, of course, entitled to your definitely non-blasphemous opinion, however subversive it may seem in regard to a film series based on and fueled by sex and violence.

I hope my sarcasm doesn't make me seem racist or homophobic - the opposite sentiment (irony) was intended.

#696 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:40 AM

I guess if I were to share a blasphemous opinion of the Bond films, it would be that I think Tomorrow Never Dies is the best of the Brosnan films.

#697 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

I guess if I were to share a blasphemous opinion of the Bond films, it would be that I think Tomorrow Never Dies is the best of the Brosnan films.

I agree absolutely!

#698 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

I'm not entirely sure that that opinion would necessarily qualify as unorthodox, at least not around here anyway.  :)  Tomorrow Never Dies has always seemed to have a rather sizeable following around here, at least in terms of ranking it at the top of the four Brosnan films.

#699 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

I agree absolutely!

Me three. Tomorrow Never Dies is the best Brosnan outing, IMO. Though Goldeneye has nostalgic value. 

#700 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

That's not blasphemous or unorthodox, it's the plain truth :D

It was also the last Bondfilm that had really great henchmen with Stamper and especially the brilliant Dr. Kaufman.

#701 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

So therefore my opinion that TND is humdrum at best, would qualify as unorthodox???   :)

#702 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

So therefore my opinion that TND is humdrum at best, would qualify as unorthodox???   :)

Not really. In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king :D

#703 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:29 AM

I agree that TND is Brosnan's best Bond film, though I prefer the first half of DAD.

The film was somehow seen as a letdown from the inexplicably overrated GE. For a while, it was considered the weakest of Brosnan's four - that is, amongst those who don't have a pathological hate for all things DAD. (Did he not buy you a pony or let you have that second scoop of ice cream on your fifth birthday?)

#704 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:03 AM

I agree absolutely!

Me three. Tomorrow Never Dies is the best Brosnan outing, IMO. Though Goldeneye has nostalgic value. 

Wot they said.

#705 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:37 AM

I agree absolutely!

Wot they said.

Same here. Although I only recognized TND's rightful place at #1 in recent years, as my nostalgia for GoldenEye had been clouding my judgement for the better part of fifteen years.

#706 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

And one more for TND as best Bond Brosnan... B)

#707 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:58 PM

Yep, TND is definitely the best Brosnan Bond for me, followed by GE, then the first half of DAD. TWINE is too much like a DieHard film - largely made up of one big, continuous action scene.

#708 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

OCTOPUSSY is the strongest Moore entry, and a top five Bond film to boot.

#709 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:06 AM

Seeing the DB5 in MI:Rogue Nation has me pondering......  I would like to see James Bond and Ethan Hunt meet each other at an airport bar.  Not necessarily work together, but more of a knowing glance, a nod, or a short conversation about the new guy, Jason whats-his-name.

#710 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

Seeing the DB5 in MI:Rogue Nation has me pondering......  I would like to see James Bond and Ethan Hunt meet each other at an airport bar.  Not necessarily work together, but more of a knowing glance, a nod, or a short conversation about the new guy, Jason whats-his-name.

Ugh.

#711 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:38 AM

Ugh.

I wouldn't want to see that either.  

That said, though, I wouldn't mind Cruise featuring in a Bond film as the villain at some point.  

#712 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:49 PM

Cruise as the villain...as the head of a world-wide church  cult bent on world domination?

I could see it....

#713 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:47 PM

I can't get the Writing's On the Wall out of my head

#714 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:33 AM

Me either! But do you like it? That would be even more unorthodox! It has really grown on me. I think it will be perfect for the film.

#715 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:07 AM

Me either! But do you like it? That would be even more unorthodox! It has really grown on me. I think it will be perfect for the film.

I do like it. I don't think it's as good as Skyfall but it's good.

#716 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:11 AM

I even go one further: I prefer it to "Skyfall".  

It´s a really strange beast, this one.  At first I was astonished and a bit alienated.  But the more I listen to it the more I am convinced that it is spectacular.  It is haunting (in a good way, please!), highly dramatic, unusual and at the same time typical, provocative and still reassuring.  And the melody is one of the best of all Bond songs, IMHO.

#717 Bondage007

Bondage007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:14 AM

I've forgotten what it sounds like already! I'm a bit meh on the song. I feel the melody fits into the tone of the film (what we've seen so far) but not a very Bondian song - however you could say the same for quite a lot of the theme songs

#718 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:43 PM

The orchestra throughout makes it sound more like a Bond song than anything we've had in a long while. IMO.

#719 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:53 PM

I even go one further: I prefer it to "Skyfall".  

It´s a really strange beast, this one.  At first I was astonished and a bit alienated.  But the more I listen to it the more I am convinced that it is spectacular.  It is haunting (in a good way, please!), highly dramatic, unusual and at the same time typical, provocative and still reassuring.  And the melody is one of the best of all Bond songs, IMHO.

I can't stop humming it, that is for sure!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#720 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:41 AM

It's a really strange beast, this one.  At first I was astonished and a bit alienated.  But the more I listen to WOTW the more I am convinced that it is spectacular.  It is haunting (in a good way, please!), highly dramatic, unusual and at the same time typical, provocative and still reassuring.  And the melody is one of the best of all Bond songs, IMHO.

This is very close to my own views, and journey, regarding WOTW. I've been singing it and humming it non-stop all weekend.