This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How old were you when you first read 'Licence Renewed'?

42 replies to this topic

#31 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Title is LR.

Although there are a number of references to Meltdown that are crossed out throughout.

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

Title is LR.

Although there are a number of references to Meltdown that are crossed out throughout.

Neat.

I think the title change came pretty late in the game. I have press clippings when the book was first announced that call it Meltdown. I wonder if there was any prototype cover art with the Meltdown title? That's I'd love to see/own.

#33 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

I think the title change came pretty late in the game. I have press clippings when the book was first announced that call it Meltdown. I wonder if there was any prototype cover art with the Meltdown title? That's I'd love to see/own.

Do you have dates on those press clippings?

The Chopping cover art was usually overlayed with text done by Jonathan Cape - so I don't think either title was ever part of his artwork.

#34 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:41 PM

Do you have dates on those press clippings?

The only clipping I have at hand doesn't have a date, dang-it. Back then, I didn't think to write the dates on clippings. But there are clues. It's from a US paper and on the back is part of a story about the World Series. It appears to be about the Phillies and Game 3. The article says "Meltdown" comes out "next April." So is this from October 1980 maybe?

EDIT. Yes. I looked up the 80 World Series online and it says Game 3 was played 10-17 and Game 4 on 10-18. The article talks about the possibility of a Philly sweep in Game 4, so, this MUST be from either 10-17 or 10-18-80.

#35 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hmm,

Glad we have a ballpark figure.

According to the Wikipedia the US first edition pre-dates the UK by a month - April versus May - was that true?

#36 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

about 17. My first Bond book, I started with the gardners and I just finished man from barbarossa

#37 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Yikes, a bad pun. Ballpark figure. hehehe.

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

According to the Wikipedia the US first edition pre-dates the UK by a month - April versus May - was that true?

I don't remember, but the clipping does say April and if Wiki does as well, then, yeah, I guess it was April. Came out first in the US, eh? That's interesting.

#39 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

I don't remember, but the clipping does say April and if Wiki does as well, then, yeah, I guess it was April. Came out first in the US, eh? That's interesting.

Fairly sure Wikipedia is relying on Bondian for its dates. Wiki probably should (but isn't for the most part) cite a source for that regardless.

#40 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

Yea - where have we been? I just checked Bryan's Bondian.com - all but two of the Gardner's came out in the US first - sometimes by 4 months or so!

With Benson they went back to UK first.

#41 Svyatogornyj

Svyatogornyj

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:49 PM

I was 18 when I first read License Renewed.

#42 Svyatogornyj

Svyatogornyj

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:02 AM

I was 18 when I first read License Renewed.

To follow up, it was not my first introduction to the Gardner era because when I was much younger I read GoldenEye when staying at my uncle's one week.

#43 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

Yea - where have we been? I just checked Bryan's Bondian.com - all but two of the Gardner's came out in the US first - sometimes by 4 months or so!

With Benson they went back to UK first.

A bit surprising since the majority of Bond novels and books seem to often be UK first.