295 replies to this topic

#211 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

I would place it behind The Spy Who Loved Me, The Man with the Golden Gun and For Your Eyes Only and Live and Let Die, but ahead of A View to a Kill and Moonraker.

Edited by O.H.M.S.S., 04 December 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#212 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:42 AM

I love Octopussy. It's a great, fun, underrated film (although I agree that the Tarzan yell should be taken out).

As for the John Glen debate, I don't see why so many are so down on him. I enjoy all his films--four in particular, which also happen to land in my top five Bond films. 1) Licence To Kill, 2) Octopussy, 3) For Your Eyes Only, and 5) The Living Daylights. :(

#213 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

It's a great, fun, underrated film (although I agree that the Tarzan yell should be taken out).

Yes, take out some of the sillier scenes, and it's a great Bond movie.

#214 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

Whenever fans say stuff like "the Tarzan yell should be taken out" it always reminds me of the scene in Fraiser where Niles describes a meal they had as perfect except for "one small flaw", which Fraiser responds to by saying "What's better than a perfect meal? A meal with one small flaw we can complain about endlessly into the morning". What I'm saying is, you may think you wouldn't miss these scenes, but in a roundabout way you would, at least as long as you're a member of CBN!

#215 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

Upon my first viewing, I HATED Octopussy. I mean LOATHED it. But, after viewing it several more times, I like it now. It's not Moore's best, but it's certainly better than AVTAK. It does have a lot of great action (the Acro-Star and the last plane sequence), and a good plot.I would have to say that Octopussy is one of my favourites! :(

#216 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:46 AM

I can't imagine it beeing placed behind TMWTGG. I rank Octopussy as one of the best Bond films since the 60's. Aside from the tarzan yell, the rest of the movie is just about perfect. It's also quite original compared to TSWLM for example.

#217 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:06 AM

Upon my first viewing, I HATED Octopussy. I mean LOATHED it. But, after viewing it several more times, I like it now. It's not Moore's best, but it's certainly better than AVTAK. It does have a lot of great action (the Acro-Star and the last plane sequence), and a good plot.I would have to say that Octopussy is one of my favourites! B)

I think alot depends on which era you grew up in. It is an old Bond movie for some, because it's now 26 years old. But some of us remember it being the new Bond movie, and that means our opinions are a little different. You have to remember that Octopussy came in the Indiana Jones, Gremlins, War Games, Poltergeist era, and I think it fits in there perfectly.

#218 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

Actually, I've always thought that "OCTOPUSSY" was one of the better written Bond movies I have come across. And General Orlov's plot was also one of the better ones concocted by a Bond villain. It's ironic that the plot was used by Fredrick Forsyth in his 1984 novel, "The Fourth Protocol". Aside from at least three or four silly moments, I think that "OCTOPUSSY" was a first-rate film.

#219 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

Aside from at least three or four silly moments, I think that "OCTOPUSSY" was a first-rate film.

I'd agree with that.

#220 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:24 PM

i love octopussy because the chemistry between bond and octopussy is great.

#221 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:37 AM

OP fun? I hate to be the wet blanket, but I'd much rather be waterboarded than sit through it.

Really a low point. Unlike TMWTGG, which I gave another chance recently and became a fan of, this will never happen for me with OP and MR.

#222 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:04 AM

i like it

#223 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

A massively entertaining adventure-thriller with Roger on top form (he's always on top form, come to think of it). Maud Adams is possibly the most stunning Bond girl of all time, I just can't take my eyes of her whenever she's on screen, and the finale onboard, no, outside the plane is unberably tense. Love, love, love this film. Probably the most underrated Bond movie among die hard fans.

#224 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

It's... okay. I tend to think of it as the middle chapter of the "Grandpa Bond" Trilogy.

What hurts the film? Mainly its schizophrenic tone (deadly serious one moment, then "Sit-ah!", etc. the next), the super-conspicuous stunt doubles, and botched action sequences (i.e., the visible rod supporting the Acrostar during the hanger fly-through; Gobinda's parachute straps).

And yes, Sir Rog is just to danged old.

Cut out the comedy and put Dalton in this film.

Edited by General G., 09 November 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#225 DJR007

DJR007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'm sorry Octopussy fans but, although I think Roger Moore is terrific in some roles I've not watched many of the Roger Moore Bond movies. The scripts and screenwriting just got too silly for me. I've never seen Octopussy before (and I started watching Bond films at the cinema since Dr No was released in 1962 when I was 13) so I thought I watch it tonight.
I switched on late in time to catch Bond stepping out of the water taxi. When the snake charmer started to play the Bond theme music I just gave up. I realise he was a contact for Bond but it's all just too silly !

#226 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

In my terms of fun; no.

#227 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'm sorry Octopussy fans but, although I think Roger Moore is terrific in some roles I've not watched many of the Roger Moore Bond movies. The scripts and screenwriting just got too silly for me. I've never seen Octopussy before (and I started watching Bond films at the cinema since Dr No was released in 1962 when I was 13) so I thought I watch it tonight.
I switched on late in time to catch Bond stepping out of the water taxi. When the snake charmer started to play the Bond theme music I just gave up. I realise he was a contact for Bond but it's all just too silly !

That's quite the point of it. It's the Roger Moore as Bond film. Silliness turned up to eleven.

#228 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

That's quite the point of it. It's the Roger Moore as Bond film. Silliness turned up to eleven.

Exactly. Also - in 1983 - virtually every blockbuster movie had this kind of humour in it. It was something cinema-goers expected. They way we expect fast-editing & black & white flashbacks in our action movies now.

#229 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

I guess there are still some fans left that appreciate the unique atmosphere and style of filmmaking that once was so characteristic for the Bondfilms. From that point of view, there is a lot to enjoy in OP because this film is genuine EON-Bond from first frame to last frame... One of our specialities!

#230 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:17 AM

Any fan that's been watching Bond since 1962 has no exscuse to not have watched every Bond film at least once.

#231 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

I'm sorry, Octopussy fans, but I've not watched any of the Roger Moore Bond movies. I've never seen Octopussy before (and I started watching Bond films at the cinema since Dr. No was released in 1962 when I was 13) so I thought I'd watch it tonight. When the snake charmer started to play the Bond theme music I just gave up. I realise he was a contact for Bond but it's all just too silly!

Says the man who wants Samantha Bond brought back as Moneypenny... B)

#232 bond4life

bond4life

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:59 PM

My favorite Moore film. If they got rid of the jokes it would be a top 5 bond film for sure

#233 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Well, after watching it last night I really have to rank this one higher. Roger is just fantastic, now matter how old he looks he never loses what makes him such a great version of 007 in my opinion,

The movie itself is just very original. Many critism on the Bond in a clown suite around here, but in my opinion that circus scene is one of the best in this whole movie, it's fun and thrilling at the same time. That's what makes a lot of scenes in this movie classy in my opinion. I also really enjoy some of the music in this one.

A very enjoyable Bondmovie. B)

Edited by ChrissBond007, 13 November 2009 - 05:07 PM.

#234 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

Definitely not one of my faves; that being said, I have fond memories of seeing it at the Odeon in Manchester on opening day back in 1983;
I find the 3 Roger/John Glen movies to be among the weakest of the entire series; tonally they're all over the place.
I do agree that Octopussy is well plotted and in some parts, very well acted. It has a terrific Barry score and a really nice theme song (not quite sure why its ranked so low by so many), however, overall it doesn't come close to what a truly great Bond movie should be;
Yes, it's better than DAF and AVTAK, but isn't that damning with faint praise?

All that being said, This is the last Bond movie that reminds me of my first era of infatuation with Bond (79-83) so it is one that I can always sit down and watch; and it was 100x better than the dreadful NSNA.....

#235 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

I tried to post this last night, but the boards were offline:

I'm literally watching it right now, and I suppose the fact that I'm posting while watching sort of lets you know how I feel about it. I haven't seen it in years, but after the train action sequence (which is awesome) I kind of lost interest. Random Octopussy thoughts (fueled by rum and RC Colas):

1. I completely and totally mean this as a compliment: Only Moore's Bond can pull off being a clown.

2. You know, I can totally see how Raiders of the Lost Ark/Temple of Doom and Octopussy/AVTAK influenced each other. During the fight scene in the city square in Octopussy, I thought, "Totally Raiders." Which makes sense since Raiders came out in '81 and Octopussy came out in '83. Then during the scene where Bond eats dinner with Khan (sheep's head), I thought, "Totally Temple of Doom," which came out a year later, in '84 (monkey's brains, spiders, snakes for dinner). While watching AVTAK, the last scenes in the mines were totally Temple of Doom. I have to say I think they both borrowed equally heavily from each other, and I'm wondering if George Lucas got a hold of the Octopussy script before/while he was writing Temple of Doom, because, man -- VERY similar.

3. Worst Bond theme song ever. Well, except maybe for "TMWTGG" -- Lulu's voice is hammier than an Easter dinner. However, Rita Coolidge is literally the only singer of a Bond theme that I had never heard of previous to . . . singing a Bond theme. Plus, it just kind of sucks - there's no passion behind it. Also, Worst. Title sequence. Ever. It just seems really lazy and quickly slapped together.

4. The Tarzan yell. No. Just . . . just no.

5. Still though -- Moore is engaging and witty as always. And yeah, he's still sexy. I love how he smirks at the two soldiers in the opening sequence as his scantily-clad sidekick drives by. And as I said, the train sequence is really fantastic. And I enjoyed Octopussy's back story (which pretty much sums up Fleming's Octopussy short story, which could never be a proper Bond film anyway). In short, I suppose, Octopussy can be a fun ride at times, but at this point, it's my least favorite Moore outing. I'm much more partial to AVTAK. I know, I know, but there you go.

#236 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

Octopussy the most fun Bond movie?

Well, I like to think so! It's easily in my top three.

#237 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

Also, Worst. Title sequence. Ever. It just seems really lazy and quickly slapped together.

Oh, I think TMWTGG's is definitely the worst; it looks like they got the camcorder out at the 11th hour, made quick recordings of whatever girls they could find doing something vaguely interesting (like swimming) on their way to the studio, and then added some effects over the top with whatever sheet of glass was nearest to them at the time. At least Octopussy's title sequence has some design to it. I'm quite fond of it personally.

#238 Genuine Felix Leiter

Genuine Felix Leiter

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

In my heart of hearts I think I should hate Octopussy. I mean, what the hell type of film is it trying to be. It's got a Soviet villain with a chilling plan on the one end, but yet it's got fairy tale style Indian locations on the other, not to mention Bond dressed as a clown defusing a nuclear weapon and still managing to be a gripping and suspenseful moment. Personally, I think this film should not work on any level, yet it does. It is a film that defies logic on every level, it's a good movie when there shouldn't be any good at all. It's one of those films you watch, know should think it's bad, but you get suckered into it anyway. I can't help it but I think I love it, I really do.

#239 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:40 AM

Also, Worst. Title sequence. Ever. It just seems really lazy and quickly slapped together.

Oh, I think TMWTGG's is definitely the worst; it looks like they got the camcorder out at the 11th hour, made quick recordings of whatever girls they could find doing something vaguely interesting (like swimming) on their way to the studio, and then added some effects over the top with whatever sheet of glass was nearest to them at the time. At least Octopussy's title sequence has some design to it. I'm quite fond of it personally.

I've not seen TMWTGG in ages (it's not really one of my faves), but I'll be watching it tomorrow, and I'll report back.

#240 St. John Smythe

St. John Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

I never reported back, did I? Well, having seen both OP and TMWTGG's title credits, I think they're equally craptacular . . . though I'm leaning toward OP's on the crappier side . . .