295 replies to this topic

#91 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

I would say the silliest Bond film ever is surely DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER ("right idea - wrong pussy").

I greatly admire OCTOPUSSY. It gets a bad rap that is never deserved. Not only is it a great old-school spy caper (Bond films need a bit more caper-ness in them and I don't mean farce), it is one of the few times you really believe BOND has fallen for the woman and it is the only time that both parts were played by similiarly aged actors.

I will brace myself for the criticisms.....

#92 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

I would say Moonraker's probably the most fun Bond movie,but I do like Octopussy alot,it's my third favourite of Moore's. I think the balancing of For Your Eyes Only seriousness and Moonraker silliness is actually done pretty well-something for everyone!

I agree. I like OP better than FYEO probably because if I wanting to watch a Roger Moore Bond I want some silliness and if I want a serious Bond film I'd rather watch early Connery, Dalton (or now Craig).

I think Octopussy is a really good combination of Humour and Action, it is a really fun Bond movie (Disguises, taxi chase) but its actually really dark too, one of the most serious Roger Bonds imo.

Exactly. While India's pretty much in the MR/TMWTGG/DAF mode of Bond, the East and West Germany sequences seem a forerunner of the mood of the Dalton films and CR.

I would say the silliest Bond film ever is surely DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER ("right idea - wrong pussy").

I greatly admire OCTOPUSSY. It gets a bad rap that is never deserved. Not only is it a great old-school spy caper (Bond films need a bit more caper-ness in them and I don't mean farce), it is one of the few times you really believe BOND has fallen for the woman and it is the only time that both parts were played by similiarly aged actors.

I will brace myself for the criticisms.....

No criticism from me. I too believe that Bond and Octopussy seem to have a really plausible chemistry together but that's probably due more to Roger and Maud than the actual script.

OP rocks and is my 2nd favorite 1980s Bond film after TLD.

#93 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

A thread in celebration of Octopussy. See, this is why I love CBn. :cooltongue:

BTW, I saw Octopussy herself (Maud Adams) yesterday in Trader Joes.

#94 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

Did you leave a tip?

#95 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

Did you leave a tip?

LOL.

#96 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:47 PM

Then you'll probably like this:
http://www.ew.com/ew...4_21_0_,00.html

#97 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

Then you'll probably like this:
http://www.ew.com/ew...4_21_0_,00.html

Oh, great article! Thanks, Safari Suit.

#98 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:13 PM

OCTOPUSSY is my favorite of the Moore films for reasons that DaveBond has already stated...FUN. I never tire of watching it unlike Moonraker & AVTAK...

Thanks, Number 6. Yes, I find it very easy to watch, too.

The only things I would get rid of - Tarzan yell, "Sit!" and the gorilla suit.

Also, I think Bond meets 6 different creatures in India, trying to get him!!! Tiger, leech, snake, crocodile, spider and elephant.

#99 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

This movie has grown on me a lot after soaking it in on the UE. There are just so many cool things here.
People say it's like a Raiders of the Lost Ark, even my movie guide it calls it "an adult" version of it in a good way. Even during the dinner scene of Bond hesitant to eat the exotic food, they would do the same thing in the next Indiana Jones movie a year later, perhaps in a nod to OP? Awesome. Then of course "i don't suppose you'd like a nightcap? Of course not.." In the PTS his cuban-disguise, excellent, and that chick with him is so hot.
In the palace when he's fighting the goons he has a machine gun and is sliding down the stair rail and shoots down the stump at the end of the rail, badass. Safari hunt, alligator suit, and Q's excellent scenes.

#100 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:42 AM

This movie has grown on me a lot after soaking it in on the UE. There are just so many cool things here.
People say it's like a Raiders of the Lost Ark, even my movie guide it calls it "an adult" version of it in a good way. Even during the dinner scene of Bond hesitant to eat the exotic food, they would do the same thing in the next Indiana Jones movie a year later, perhaps in a nod to OP? Awesome. Then of course "i don't suppose you'd like a nightcap? Of course not.." In the PTS his cuban-disguise, excellent, and that chick with him is so hot.
In the palace when he's fighting the goons he has a machine gun and is sliding down the stair rail and shoots down the stump at the end of the rail, badass. Safari hunt, alligator suit, and Q's excellent scenes.

I totally agree with you Colossus. This movie has affected me in the same way especially after having it in The UE dvd mode. It's really a fun movie and I enjoy it more than Moonraker. I think I have popped this movie in the DVD player more times than any other movie in this box set collection, and I really enjoyed the commentary Roger did (check out the sheep's eyeball dinner scene, hilarious). The last time I watched it my mom and I cracked up laughing at the line Roger gave after being chased in the jungle when he gets into the boat and the lady says something like..."Are you with our group?" and he's like.. "No ma'am i'm with the economy tour." lol. I never noticed that before but it was funny after seeing him run through that jungle. Octopussy is cool in my book.

#101 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

Oh yeah. I like Moonraker too!
In Lewis Gilbert's Bonds and John Glen's OP, i think Moore is at his greatest natural-self.

#102 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

octopussy is a MAGICAL film.

it encompassed totally moore's superior take on the bond character.

the intro is superb and standout scene is when he is captured by the cubanesque military and is on the back of the truck. his foxy allie then pulls alongside to titilate his captors and provide a 'leggy' diversion .

bonds expression is priceless as he smirks and grins at his captors using the famous 'eyebrow' actin and mischievous twinkle in his eye to encourage them to take the sexual bait. heh . it was like a cat toyin with mice. moore carried himself as a character who was always ten steps ahead of his adversarys and as such had fun with them.

moore made bond mighty ! an arrogant , self assured , humourous demi god and made me proud to be british!

only moore's tenure as bond could have a theme song 'nobody does it better' from TSWLM and it fits the character perfectly .. any other actor and the song would have drowned the film with cheese and met with howls of protest.

moore's bond was just SO SUPERIOR ! bravo !

http://www.youtube.c...g...ted&search=

Edited by jaws_dentist, 23 March 2007 - 04:20 PM.

#103 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

"Cubanesque military" just got me cracking up. :cooltongue:

#104 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Just watched Octopussy UE-DVD last night and I couldn't agree more! It is a fun movie throughout and Moore has his version of Bond perfected. He is suave, sophisticated, and confident in his abilities to overcome anything thrown at him.

#105 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

Nice to see that this thread is still going strong, and that people do agree that Octopussy is good, old-fashioned fun...!!

:cooltongue:

#106 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:57 AM

For my fellow Octopussians, check out this way rad (that's the way we spoke in '83) button I just got on eBay.

Attached Files

#107 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:01 AM

For my fellow Octopussians, check out this way rad (that's the way we spoke in '83) button I just got on eBay.

Like totally tubular, dude. Funny how that didn't feel weird to put in print, but would have sounded incredibly lame out loud. :cooltongue:

I had a similar button for NSNA I got when I was still part of the U.S. James Bond fan club from back at the time. Still have it in my collection.

#108 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

Totally awesome, bro. Long live the '80s!

#109 AgentPB

AgentPB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

I have to say that i just re-watched it last night and it exceeded my expectations it must be one of Moore's best. My only complaint is that in the end i wasn't sure who the main villain was. I defiantly liked this more then FYEO, which is a first. It makes me wish he had gone out on this movie rather than AVTAK.

#110 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:57 AM

My only complaint is that in the end i wasn't sure who the main villain was.

It does seem to be evenly split between Kamal Khan and General Orlov, although it seems Kamal seems to often get that credit--perhaps because of more screentime with Bond and in the film as a whole.

#111 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:16 AM

:cooltongue: That's absolutely beautiful! I'd love a t-shirt with that on it.

#112 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:17 AM

I feel the same way about that, and also TLD.

#113 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:57 AM

It does seem to be evenly split between Kamal Khan and General Orlov, although it seems Kamal seems to often get that credit--perhaps because of more screentime with Bond and in the film as a whole.

Kamal seems to the the main villain to me, even though Orlov seems to be in charge of their big plan. KK does all the things on the Bond Villain Checklist :

-loses a gambling duel with Bond
-has dinner with Bond
-like Bond, enjoys the finer things, is sophisticated
-asexual
-greedy/insane

#114 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

I watched Moonraker again last night and it is also a really fun, escapist, action-packed Bond.

#115 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:31 AM

OCTOPUSSY is great fun, although the humor got a little silly at certain moments:

-Bond focusing the camera on the Indian intelligence agent's cleavage

-the Tarzan yell

Yet, although a fun movie, it's plot was chillingly plausible.

#116 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

OCTOPUSSY is great fun, although the humor got a little silly at certain moments:

-Bond focusing the camera on the Indian intelligence agent's cleavage

-the Tarzan yell

Yet, although a fun movie, it's plot was chillingly plausible.

Agreed.

Even though I'm very much partial to the more serious Bond entries (such as TLD, LTK, FRWL, CR, etc.), Octopussy is one of my favorite Bond films, and is one of the most fun films in the series. You're right, the plot wasn't the usual escapist type of plot with the villain using some outlandish scheme for world domination, and the film managed to perfectly walk the very thin line between making the film too serious and inappropriately humorous given the plotline that they were working with. And, even though this is the film where Moore really began to show his age, he's still very good in the role and a lot of fun to watch as Bond.

#117 Steed

Steed

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

I LOVE Octopussy and make no apologies for it. There are some dodgy moments- the Tarzan yell, the 'sit' bit to the tiger, the assault on Kamal's palace by Octopussy's troupe- and some silly (if highly amusing) moments like the chase through India, but I genuinely think this is one of Roger's best Bond films.

This has one of the most thrillingly tense sections in any Bond film- that action sequence on the film is astonishing and the scene where Bond in clown costume breathlessly tries to stop the explosion (can't believe that anybody sees this as a comedy scene though- save the very end where the guy pops out of the cannon, which imho is perfectly judged as a relief from the previous tension) are amongst the best scenes of the series. Indeed, the aforementioned scenes show Roger at his best as an actor, imho- barking out 'That's For 009' when killing off one of the knife throwing twins and 'damn it man, there's a bomb in there'- and how good he was when the material was good.

I too tend to veer towards the more serious Bond film but this straddles seriousness and humour better than most any other Bond film outside of 'Goldfinger', imho.

#118 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:48 AM

Yes, it's just good oldfashioned fun, to me.

And Leonard Maltin gives it ***1/2 - which is half a mark more than CR!!!!!!

#119 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:43 AM

Octopussy will always have a special place for me. It was the first 007 movie I ever saw! 1983 at a small move theater in Ankeny, IA. 1 little screen. probably terrible sound.

Great film! The opening has to be one of the most memorable?

Also when he rides down the hand rail and Kamal's palace? Fantastic.

Great score by John Barry. It's a shame it was not expanded recently.

I think the villains in this one are some of the best too. I loved India as a location too.

Great one for me and special as it was the first James Bond movie I ever saw.

#120 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:26 PM

Great one for me and special as it was the first James Bond movie I ever saw

Yes, a fan's first Bond movie will always have a special place.