295 replies to this topic

#271 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, I think that Octopussy is the most well-rounded of all of the Moore films, in addition to being "fun". It has all of the following Bondian elements to it:

- A great John Barry soundtrack, one of the better Bond scores, IMHO
- A nice romantic title theme song
- A entertaining pre-title sequence
- A perfect blend of Bondian wits with gadgetry, without one overpowering the other
- A perfect blend of over-the-top and conservative Bond villains in Kamal Khan and General Orlov
- A lot of humor and funny moments that work well and aren't forced. When we saw it in 1983 in the movie theatres, everyone had a great laugh!
- Maud Adams, looking hotter than ever as Octopussy, as a smart yet vulnerable Bond girl.
- Roger Moore, who blended seriousness with light-heartedness as 007 to great effect in this film. He was well-rounded in this film as well.

Now, mind you, this is not my favorite Bond film (Moonraker will always have that title), but I think that it is one of the Moore Bond films where everything was in sync.

Nice summary. :tup:

#272 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

I have seen Octopussy a number of times, because of the slightly opaque plot. After repeated viewings a couple of shots stick in my mind:
The women in India turning to look at Bond's helicopter arrival. (It's dreamy)
The stuntman clinging to the top of the airplane, with the wind almost blowing the skin off his face! (It's so real)

I know that dreamy and real are antonyms but does anyone else think these shots belong in a Lewis Gilbert film, not a John Glen one?

ie; YOLT -first glimpse of the girls in the fishing boats (dreamy)
MR - Bond gets pushed out of a plane and falls right towards the camera! (real)

Edited by Onyx2626, 12 November 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#273 Aries Walker

Aries Walker

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

If absolutely nothing else, it was definitely Q's finest moment on screen.

#274 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Just watched Octopussy again.

It is a very action-packed, but also fun Bond movie. It also has its silly moments! Does anyone else think it is one of the best Bond films to just make you smile?

It also has the most animals in a Bond movie - surely? It has a tiger, snake, leech, monkeys, crocodiles, elephants, spiders!!

It also has its silly moments - the Tarzan yell, the "tennis chase" on tuk-tuks, the scenes with Q, the "Sit: scene with the tiger, and the gorilla suit scene!!

But it also has great stunts - especially Bond on the side/top of the train, and also the slide down the balcony!!!

Great fun. Who else is a fan of Octopussy?? I think I have to be in the right mood for it, but it is a good laugh and a great Bond movie.

Posted Image

It works because it doesn't take itself too seriously.

#275 mrevans

mrevans

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

I just watched Octopussy again the other night. I have watched many reviews of people trashing this movie but I have say after coming off of a fresh viewing that it thouroughly hooked me and entertained me. It did what it set out to do. Also, I don't understand why many people get so upset about Bond dressing up as a clown. No I don't think Fleming would have written something like that but all the same if Fleming's Bond was trying to keep an atomic bomb from exploding and that is the only way he could do it, would he say, "James Bond's too good for a clown suite?" Anyway... not among the best for me but good all the same.

#276 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

"Toro?" "Sounds Like A Load Of Bull!"

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 05 January 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#277 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

I like the film and think that it struck a pretty good balance between Moonraker humor and Cold War espionage. The plot is pretty good and by coincidence the book "The Fourth Protocol" was released a year later with the same basic idea. Not sure how many bought the idea that Jourdan's Kamal (one of the rare main villains Bond addresses by first name, maybe the first time in the series) is Afghani.

I wonder if that film was made today, with characters like Gobinda, the filmmakers would find themselves the recipients of a jihad declaration.

#278 robdread

robdread

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I believe I mentioned some of the funnier lines earlier, such as:
Bond: I trust you can handle this contrapcion Q
Q: It goes by hot air.
Bond: Oh, then you can.

But I also wanted to add that I remember seeing it in the theaters in 1983 and the crowd absolutely loved it.
Plus, great chemistry between Roger Moore and Maud Adams. She was definitely his best leading lady.

#279 SteveBolton

SteveBolton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I remember going to see this at the cinema when it first came out, my first Bond at the cinema. The film has something for everyone in my opinion, great stunning locations which i cant wait to see on the forthcoming Blu-ray release. Defiantly one of Moore's best Bonds,

#280 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I remember going to see this at the cinema when it first came out, my first Bond at the cinema. The film has something for everyone in my opinion, great stunning locations which i cant wait to see on the forthcoming Blu-ray release. Defiantly one of Moore's best Bonds,

I agree about the amazing locations. Let's hope Skyfall emulates it in that respect.

#281 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Fun? More like just plain stupid! Bond as a clown battling circus performers. Tarzan yells, etc.

More like agonizing! It's one of 3 or 4 Bond flicks I just cannot bear to watch again.

Ian Fleming must be rolling over in his grave for that one.

Octopussy is enjoyable if you do not take it too seriously. I admit... some of the the things Roger Moore must endure are certainly NOT Bond-like; maybe even cringe-worthy. However, there's plenty to enjoy about it. I thought it had one of the more exciting pre-title sequences of Moore's films.

Even though there was little to identify from the original book in the movie, I liked that OO7 provided the plot of the novel as the backstory of Dexter Smythe.

The stark seriousness of Checkpoint Charlie cut away from the silliness of the adventure, reminding the audience that millions of lives were at stake and were OO7 to fail...

Also, besides the fact that Kamal Khan was probably one of the most forgettable of Bond villains, I thought Gen. Orlov was GREAT; absolutely diabolical, even to the point of Gen. Gogol thinking, "This guy's gone WAY off the grid."

Gobinda was, I thought, a very cool henchman, His death was more of a memorable one.

I think, had Octopussy been Moore's last film, it would have stood out as being much better than it actually was.

Edited by Miles Miservy, 29 May 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#282 Ren

Ren

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

For me the most fun Bond movie is LTK.

#283 Panavision

Panavision

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I do like Octopussy, and it's because of Roger Moore - the guy's hilarious. He makes mundane lines special. The problem with Octopussy is that it makes no sense. The plot is convoluted for subterfuge's sake.

#284 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

One thing that always bothered me about this film; keeping in mind that the producers have always been known to dub lines, scenes, even entire characters. (DN, GF, TB, OHMSS)

There's a part, between Octopussy & Magda, right after Bond deactivates the bomb in the cannon:

Octopussy asks, "Where was Khamal going?"
You hear Magda say, "Back to India." but she had mouthed something completely different. I've always wondered what she'd actually said.

#285 Golddragon71

Golddragon71

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

I have a strong spot in my heart for this film. it was only my second "In theater" Bond Film. I liked that the title character was the daughter of the character in the short story Fleming wrote. I think the clown suit was fine (The only unbelievable aspect was that he could get the makeup applied so quickly and so perfectly) of course todays Bond would've been kicked out of the service on Sexual Harassment Charges for zooming in on that secretary's cleavage in the Q-Lab. Aside from those bits I found the rest of the movie really enjoyable. I mean sure it's not perfect but as a friend of mine once said "it may have it's Flaws but it's ceilings are great!" :D

#286 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

You hear Magda say, "Back to India." but she had mouthed something completely different. I've always wondered what she'd actually said.

"After the Swamp Thing."

#287 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

Ah, I always enjoy Octopussy. Moore has some pretty funny moments, the gadgets are cool, & the expanded role for Q was a welcome addition. Not my favorite of his tenrue though.

#288 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

So true that Octopussy is a fun film. Moonraker was the nadir, and VTOAK was distressing due to the fact the star was making one too many, looked too old (unless they'd chosen an older female lead -- he was fine together with the Russian lady agent), the female lead was played by a suddenly out-of-shape Tanya Roberts (she'd been stunning in Sheena). Octopussy was glamorous, with exotic settings and luxe interiors. Octopussy had a great homage to Oddjob's hat with the yo-yo circular saw, and, somehow, overall, a sense of pace and enjoyable action and stunts. I remember how -- Connery fan that I am -- I wanted NSNA to be better, but it just was not as much fun or as luxe and glamorous and exotic.

#289 Golden Claw

Golden Claw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Random, unrelated comment: It seems that in the early 1980s, the Brits felt nostalgic about us, their former colony ;) . In 3 consecutive years, 3 British movies were made that about or set in India. Gandhi in 1982, Octopussy in 1983 and A Passage To India in 1984.

#290 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

One thing that always bothered me about this film; keeping in mind that the producers have always been known to dub lines, scenes, even entire characters. (DN, GF, TB, OHMSS)

There's a part, between Octopussy & Magda, right after Bond deactivates the bomb in the cannon:

I believe she says, "I've no idea."

That answer is what necessitated the inclusion of the voice over "Back to India." Otherwise, where would Octopussy know where to lead her assault on Kamal?

#291 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

First Bond film that I ever saw. I was hooked after seeing it too! 29 years ago!!

: )

Still a huge Bond fan and Roger Moore is James Bond for me.

Looking forward to seeing Octopussy on blu ray in September!!!

#292 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

So true that Octopussy is a fun film. Moonraker was the nadir, and VTOAK was distressing due to the fact the star was making one too many, looked too old (unless they'd chosen an older female lead -- he was fine together with the Russian lady agent), the female lead was played by a suddenly out-of-shape Tanya Roberts (she'd been stunning in Sheena). Octopussy was glamorous, with exotic settings and luxe interiors. Octopussy had a great homage to Oddjob's hat with the yo-yo circular saw, and, somehow, overall, a sense of pace and enjoyable action and stunts. I remember how -- Connery fan that I am -- I wanted NSNA to be better, but it just was not as much fun or as luxe and glamorous and exotic.

Good points. The other connection with Goldfinger is the unrelated PTS.

______

#293 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

Moonraker the nadir!? No Bond directed by Lewis Gilbert, master of epic Bond, can ever be considered a nadir. No, it is this one that is the most aimless fun.

#294 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Random, unrelated comment: It seems that in the early 1980s, the Brits felt nostalgic about us, their former colony ;) . In 3 consecutive years, 3 British movies were made that about or set in India. Gandhi in 1982, Octopussy in 1983 and A Passage To India in 1984.

And we miss The Sea Wolves by one year... 1980

#295 singleentendre

singleentendre

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I love OP, but I feel like that about a lot of Moore's films, including Moonraker. Just simply out-of-this-world fun.

#296 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:29 AM

One thing I noticed on watching it a couple of month's back, was that it was a bit of a risk to use the Octopussy girls to attack Kamal's palace at the end, as they weren't even armed!