27 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

In his Q&A on the official forums, Charlie Higson mentioned that Young Bond Book 3 would see the first "gadgets" of the series:

[box]"...in book 3 there is an early computer, a pneumatic railway under London (driven by air pressure rather than electricity) and one of the villains has a combination weapon called an Apache

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

I'll dig into some of my archaic weapons manuals - picked up a few in Scotland last month - and check. If it is what I *think* it is, its a dual purpose crossbow type device. On trigger fires bolts with a silent deadly accuracy up to 100 meters and the fold-cocking mechanism almost requires two people to arm it. Almost 250 foot pounds. The second (they are an over-and-under design) has less foot pounds but attaches a cable - hence, upon "harpooning" your prey, you can then reel them in. It might also work as a delivery system for a grappling hook.

Interesting...

I'll do some digging Zen.

#3 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

It's a revolver. 7mm. It has brass knuckles on it. I've seen it before. Don't know why I remember it being 7mm... fyi.. but there you go. I'll try and find a pic.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Cool. Sounds like you may be on the right track there, Bryce. Keep me posted.

It's a revolver. 7mm. It has brass knuckles on it. I've seen it before. Don't know why I remember it being 7mm... fyi.. but there you go. I'll try and find a pic.

Ooooo...okay. :)

(But I could have sworn he said something about it being a crossbow.)

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:46 PM

Here..

http://www.horstheld.com/0-blades.htm

Search for Apache on the page.

Named after these guys:

http://www.savateaus...says/apache.htm

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

If we're talking crossbows, I go with what I recall, but if we're talking firearms, there are several options.

*scans library*

Contemporary weapons manual, History of Firearms, The Shaft and the Bolt...

I'll go digging...

"Back to the salt mines"

EDIT - Having just read K1's post.

Damn good finds. I have that book. Any other details Zen? This has got my curiosity up.

#7 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

Ooooo...okay. :)

(But I could have sworn he said something about it being a crossbow.)

?

Well I suppose, but if we're talking about being on the streets in London why the hell would you be using a crossbow? Read the article about the apache people (not the Indians) from Paris that I linked. Then try and picture 1930s London. I think it's a real possibility.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

I think you've nailed it K1. The clincher is this is called a "combination" weapon. Exact word Charlie used in the Q&A. Maybe he didn't say "crossbow" in SF. Like I said, I was yapping to Athena when he was talking.

This little thing looks vicious!

#9 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

I think you've nailed it K1. The clincher is this is called a "combination" weapon. Exact word Charlie used in the Q&A. Maybe he didn't say "crossbow" in SF. Like I said, I was yapping to Athena when he was talking.

I don't know much about firearms or weapons in general (20th century like you'd see in a game - yeah), but I can't imagine too many combinations on a crossbow.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

You know, this has GOT to be used on the cover art. Sort of a FRWL type of cover. Wouldn't that be cool? :)

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

Now a STORY on YBD. Thanks, K1. :)

#12 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

You know, this has GOT to be used on the cover art. Sort of a FRWL type of cover. Wouldn't that be cool? :P

LOL, I admit to putting maybe 15 minutes (at best) into this so don't laugh. :) It's decent though, but you probably shouldn't use this on your site...

Posted Image

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:59 PM

First thing that popped into my mind upon seeing it. Young Bond Book 3 is shaping up to be a pretty interesting story so far.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

You know, this has GOT to be used on the cover art. Sort of a FRWL type of cover. Wouldn't that be cool? :P

LOL, I admit to putting maybe 15 minutes (at best) into this so don't laugh. :) It's decent though, but you probably shouldn't use this on your site...

Posted Image

Love it! :)

Oh, it's going up on my site. :P

#15 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

That's a great little weapon. Very cool looking. Definitely an item that should be in a Bond book/film. Will be interesting to see how it's used. :) My kudos to Charlie Higson for coming up with it.

Nice artwork by the way K1Bond007. Well done. :P

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

This baby represents everything I love about the Young Bond series. Even in a 1930s setting, Charlie pulls out something that is more Bondian than anything in the last, what?, dozen films. And I love that this weapon has a diabolical history tied in with the "Apache" thugs of Paris. A far out gizmo grounded in realism with a nefarious history that ties-in with the book thematically (big city crime as puzzle piece). These books really are of the highest quality.

#17 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

This baby represents everything I love about the Young Bond series. Even in a 1930s setting, Charlie pulls out something that is more Bondian than anything in the last, what?, dozen films. And I love that this weapon has a diabolical history tied in with the "Apache" thugs of Paris. A far out gizmo grounded in realism with a nefarious history that ties-in with the book thematically (big city crime as puzzle piece). These books really are of the highest quality.

Do we know for sure that this is it? I mean I can't imagine it being anything else now, but I suppose we could be wrong. :) Have you "submitted a picture" to Charlie for verification like your quote suggests?

#18 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

I have three little words to say about this "Apache"

I WANT ONE

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

Do we know for sure that this is it? I mean I can't imagine it being anything else now, but I suppose we could be wrong. :) Have you "submitted a picture" to Charlie for verification like your quote suggests?

Actually, no, we don't know for sure. LOL. And I've lost Charlie's email address. And I don't want to pester IFP with every little thing. And I don't want to lean this isn't the weapon, because it's too cool. :P

So here I sit in my happy land of illusion. :P

#20 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Actually, no, we don't know for sure. LOL. And I've lost Charlie's email address. And I don't want to pester IFP with every little thing. And I don't want to lean this isn't the weapon, because it's too cool. :P

So here I sit in my happy land of illusion. :)

You run a website devoted to Young Bond and you lost the author's email? :P LOL. DOH!

#21 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

Maybe Charlie will see this thread and shoot zencat another e-mail. :) That would be nice!

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Maybe Charlie will see this thread and shoot zencat another e-mail. :P

Or breathe a sigh of relief. :)

I broke down and fired off an email to IFP asking if we've got the right gun. But I'd be surprised if we don't. BTW, I might pick up a copy of that Blades & Barrels book. Looks like there's some cool stuff in there.

#23 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:48 AM

I have three little words to say about this "Apache"

I WANT ONE

You're not the only one, Athena!!!

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

Major update! I heard from the The Man himself...

Looks like K1 "nailed it" :P

Check out the full story and quotes HERE.

Way to go K1Bond007! :)

#25 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

LOL, awesome. Kind of wish I put more time and effort into the FRWL-mock up now. Oh well. :)

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:11 AM

Way to go indeed. I'd love to see that on the cover of an adult version of the book.

Now on the CBn main page...

As discovered on the CBn forums

#27 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

Congratulations K1Bond007. Good find. :) You certainly know your bizarre Bondian weapons. :P

#28 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Congratulations K1Bond007. Good find. :) You certainly know your bizarre Bondian weapons. :P

Nah, I really don't. You don't tend to forget a gun with brass knuckles and a knife when you see it. :P Especially since it wasn't that long ago...