39 replies to this topic

#1 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 11:40 PM

What's everyone's opinion on Gardner sticking Bond in a Saab, the car which appeared throughout Gardner's books, but mostly the early ones I think (only a slight mention of it in Seafire).

In Licence Renewed I wasn't too sure of it but when I read For Special Service I had warmed to it a little better. In The Bedside Companion there are photos of the car (with Gardner behind the wheel) and I was able to really picuture this and accepted this as a fine addittion to Bond's automobiles.

It would be beaten by Benson's Jaguar but that thing got too hi-tech with the gadetry. The Saab's gadgets were simple, tear gas, hidden weapon compartment as oppose to changing colors and projecting holograms while having a little flying thingy launch.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 12:11 AM

I really liked the SAAB and I was sorry to see it go after only 3 books. Unlike a Jag or yet another Aston Martin, the Saab was a car of great character. I know it's hard to believe now, but at the time it really felt like a hip, cutting-edge European car that only a great car connoisseur like Bond would discover and drive. It wasn't a boy's car, it was a man's car. In fact, I was so turned on by his Saab that I got one in 1983; license plate: "SAAB 007". I'm not kidding.

#3 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 12:14 AM

Mister Asterix (22 Mar, 2002 12:06 a.m.):
I only remember the SAAB showing up in the Gardner's first three. Was it in one of the later books?

I re-read Seafire not too long ago, yuck, it also dropped a few slots on my Gardner scale (Man From Barbarossa is above it now) and there was a mention of it someplace in the middle. Just something VERY brief to the effect of "Bond took the Saab back to his flat".

Nice pic. Gardner got his own Saab to keep didn't he?

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 12:18 AM

Damn, I posted the reply twice. :)

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 12:19 AM

zencat (22 Mar, 2002 12:11 a.m.):
In fact, I was so turned on by his Saab that I got one in 1983; license plate: "SAAB 007". I'm not kidding.

I don't doubt it. If I had the money at the time I would have done same thing. (Still might.) Except I would have had the plates read '007S SB'. The SB would have been taken as a shortening of SAAB but I would have known it stood for Silver Beast. I decide this after seeing a Silver SAAB on Cape Cod with plates reading 'DUBL O 7'.

#6 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 12:21 AM

I did it again, please ignore the madness.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 02:36 AM

RossMan (22 Mar, 2002 12:14 a.m.):

Mister Asterix (22 Mar, 2002 12:06 a.m.):
I only remember the SAAB showing up in the Gardner's first three. Was it in one of the later books?

I re-read Seafire not too long ago, yuck, it also dropped a few slots on my Gardner scale (Man From Barbarossa is above it now) and there was a mention of it someplace in the middle. Just something VERY brief to the effect of "Bond took the Saab back to his flat".

Nice pic. Gardner got his own Saab to keep didn't he?

That's right. Bond got another SAAB late in the Gardner books, this time a Saab 9000 CD Turbo (he had a 900 in the first 3). He drove the 9000 in NSF and SEAFIRE, but somehow it just wasn't a memorable car.

And for the record, M drove a Saab 9000 in The Man from Barbarossa and Bond drove a rental Saab in Nobody Lives Forever and No Deals Mr. Bond.

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 March 2002 - 04:02 AM

zencat (22 Mar, 2002 12:11 a.m.):
I really liked the SAAB and I was sorry to see it go after only 3 books.

Maybe he only signed a 3-book sponsorship deal with SAAB. :)

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 March 2002 - 12:06 AM

I loved the Silver Beast, particularly the gadgets. They were the type that I could see doing to my own car. ;D And I loved that Major Boothroyd was trying to get a peek at what Bond had done to the car. I only remember the SAAB showing up in the Gardner's first three. Was it in one of the later books?

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 06:20 AM

Since it was 'the Silver Beast', does that mean Bond gave up the battleship grey of which Fleming seemed to be fond? Was this influence from the films?

Either way, I liked it as a Bond car. More than just gadgets, one really got to like it in Licence Renewed.

#11 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:57 AM

I think it's very cool that Bond drove a Saab. Or maybe I'm more proud, cause I am swedish and Saab is swedish.

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:47 PM

The Saab was okay. it was a more modern "every mans"car . IT was still a exotic car . Very few people owned one , especially here in america. I liked the return of the Bentley. Bond is not about thing that we can get in every day life. It's the Aston-Martin , Bollinger , Savile Row , any middle class joe can own a Saab. I thought the Bentley was in at least 3 Garnder books especially "Role of Honor" and "Nobody Lives Forever" . The Saab was in "For Special Services" and "Icebreaker" and his return to literary life "License Renewed" . Why is Bond driving a Jaguar ? Waht happen to a Aston Martin DB7 . The jaguar and the DB7 have the same platform. A Porsche 911 is a better car.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 10:53 PM

Saabs continued to appear in the Gardner books, even after Bond got rid of the "Silver Beast" after Icebreaker. He drives a rental Saab 900 in Nobody Lives Forever and No Deals, Mr. Bond. M drive a Saab 9000 CD in The Man from Barbarossa. And Bond drives a Saab 9000 CD Turbo in both Never Send Flowers and SeaFire (not sure if it's supposed to be the same car).

The Bentley appears in Role of Honor, Nobody Lives Forever, No Deals Mr. Bond, Scorpius, and briefly in Benson's The Facts of Death.

#14 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:21 PM

The whole idea of Bond driving a Saab made my skin crawl. Since reading some Gardner books, I found it difficult to accept that a Saab was sexy and should be driven by Bond.

The Bentley ws cool, elegant and British. Jaguars in Benson's books didn't excite me that much. The BMW's were great in Brozza's films, but Aston Martin's return is a welcome.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:31 PM

Originally posted by zencat
I really liked the SAAB and I was sorry to see it go after only 3 books. Unlike a Jag or yet another Aston Martin, the Saab was a car of great character. I know it's hard to believe now, but at the time it really felt like a hip, cutting-edge European car that only a great car connoisseur like Bond would discover and drive. It wasn't a boy's car, it was a man's car. In fact, I was so turned on by his Saab that I got one in 1983; license plate: "SAAB 007". I'm not kidding.

The car is long gone, but I still have the plate! Here it is.

#16 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:25 PM

Originally posted by zencat

The car is long gone, but I still have the plate! Here it is.

Cool licence plate, John.

#17 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:05 PM

Zen, I see on that photo you have the Bond and Beyond book that came out some time in '89 I believe.

From memory that was the hardest book on Bond I ever had to trawl through. How long did it take you to get through this psychological, political text???

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:16 PM

I'm not sure I ever made it all the way through.

#19 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 11:15 PM

Bond also drove a Bentley Mulsanne Turbo in Gardner's books after the Saab 900. I forget which novel it started in though, I think Role of Honor.:)

#20 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:32 AM

Bond and Beyond? I don't think I have heard of this? What is it about? Is this book of a literary criticism of Bond?

And btw...if you check out the thread "Xenobia Returns" you will see that when I went to the apartment believed to be where James Bond lives, there was a Saab parked out front.

-- Xenobia

#21 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 03:28 PM

Originally posted by SirMiles83
Bond also drove a Bentley Mulsanne Turbo in Gardner's books after the Saab 900. I forget which novel it started in though, I think Role of Honor.

Correct ! He brought it after his Uncle Bruce left Bond some money . I like Literary Bond in a Bentley .

#22 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:09 PM

The Saab was a great car for Bond. I too loved the "Silver Beast". In the Benson novels he uses the Jaguar on assignments but there is mention of the garage where he keeps the DB5 and the fact that the Bentley is still there.

I came close in about '88 to getting a silver 900 turbo, but ultimately couldn't swing it. I'm happy with what I have now though:

1993 GMC Jimmy SLT 4WD - Dark metallic green. CA. plates 007 4EVR

1984 Jaguar XJ6 Series III - Custom pale sapphire blue. CA plates 007'S JAG

I really need to post some pics of these.

#23 Grace in Hiding

Grace in Hiding

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:37 PM

What happened to the old Volvo?

~Grace~

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:03 PM

Methinks you're thinking of Simon Templer, Grace in Hiding. :)

#25 Grace in Hiding

Grace in Hiding

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:42 PM

Actually, I wasn't referring to "The Saint", though I can see why you thought I made that error.

~Grace~

#26 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:26 PM

Today, I saw a blue SAAB 900 Turbo and it made me think of Bond.

#27 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:30 PM

I like the idea of Bond driving a Saab.
Why not? It is a cool and a class car.
The Bentley is ok too.
A volvo? When didi Bond drive a volvo?

#28 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:41 PM

Whenever I see a 900 Turbo, I think of Bond.

The Bentley was outstanding, as well.

#29 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 08:53 PM

The Times, 27 April, 2003.

For Sale: 1984 Bentley Mulsanne Turbo. One owner. Immaculate condition. New Dunlop tyres with less than 900 km. British racing green. Multiple incidents of significant body and drive work performed over the years, yet automobile appears new. Maintained since 1984 by licensed Bentley technician with over thirty-five years experience. 370,000 km. Call for price. Serious inquiry only, please.

#30 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 02:49 AM

Are you kidding me? Where did you find that?

-- Xenobia