7 replies to this topic

#1 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

As some of you may have noticed I have been scarce around these parts recently. Part of the reason for my absence has to do with some weird personal stuff and the other part has to do with the fact that I am working with the BBC on a film they are doing in South Dakota about George Armstrong Custer starring Toby Stephens. I was originally hired as the head PA/assistant unit production manager which meant that I was spending nearly 15 hours a day locking down trailers, RVs, transport, lighting, catering, toilets, etc. etc. You name it, I had to find it and rent it (not an easy task when you live in an unfriendly film state such as SD). Anyway, we finally started shooting last Monday and midday of the shoot I was offered the postition of 3rd Assistant Director. Not bad considering I've only ever really worked on one real major film in the past. On Thursday and Friday of last week I was the fill-in 2nd Assistant Director since our 2nd AD was out of town. I heard all day how much smoother things had gone with me in the 2nd AD position which may mean I get promoted to 2nd 2nd AD which would just be swell. The guy who is directing is Dave Stewart (not from the Eurythmics) the guy who did The Human Face documentary with John Cleese.

That is all cool, but what is really cool is working with a first class guy like Toby Stephens. It's been a bit surreal for me looking over in the passenger seat of my car and seeing Gustuv Graves sitting there telling me a story about growing up in the country or ex-girlfriends or jamming to Stevie Wonder.

It's a bit funny to think that the two films I've worked on thusfar have starred James Bond cast members and both films have been Westerns.

Anyway, I've attached a few pictures from CUSTER'S PLAN for you all. The first two of are Toby and the third is of a dead soldier.

I'll write more at the end of the shoot.

Attached Files

#2 alisonb

alisonb

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

Any more news on this mccartney007?

#3 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

Whoa! Toby looks awesome as Custer. I didn't know the Beeb did shows about US history.

Did he share any Bond anecdotes with you, mccartney007?

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Whoa! Toby looks awesome as Custer. I didn't know the Beeb did shows about US history.

The BBC shot three different 50 minute docu-films in a series called Heroes of the Wild West for air sometime next year on the BBC and the Discovery Channel here in the US. One of them is about Billy the Kid (filmed in Spain), another is about the OK Corral (filmed in Arizona) and, obviously, the one we filmed was about Custer's last stand (filmed in South Dakota).

Toby and I had a nice chat about Bond in my car one day, but I don't think what Toby told me should be plastered on the internet for all to see. He's a friend and I don't want to upset him by spilling his beans.

#5 Jericho_One

Jericho_One

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1370 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

The BBC shot three different 50 minute docu-films in a series called Heroes of the Wild West for air sometime next year on the BBC and the Discovery Channel here in the US. One of them is about Billy the Kid (filmed in Spain), another is about the OK Corral (filmed in Arizona) and, obviously, the one we filmed was about Custer's last stand (filmed in South Dakota).

Toby and I had a nice chat about Bond in my car one day, but I don't think what Toby told me should be plastered on the internet for all to see. He's a friend and I don't want to upset him by spilling his beans.

Yes, you're right.

#6 alisonb

alisonb

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

I for one am not interested in what he spoke to you about but I would be very interested to learn more about the production. Is it focused completely on the last battle or does the production cover Custer's life prior to that. I love detail about productions. Do they go into detail about how the soldiers die or is the blood and guts factor kept to a minimum.

Do you know if its being shown early next year or do we have to wait till next autumn/fall? I'd like to keep an eye out for it.

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

Cool, I understand. Sounds juicy though :)

So, are any other 'name' actors in 'Custer'? The imdb doesn't have anything about it.

#8 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

Will this TV Movie be a "subtle" metaphor for current events?