10 replies to this topic

#1 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 10:05 AM

Have anybody read this. I read this last year and I think it's the worst Bond novel I've ever read. There's no action, no thrills, and although there're plenty of bedroom scenes between Bond and Flicka, there's little chemistry. The villian is absolutely useless, and the plot is bored and tired. I'm sorry, but I think this spelled the end for Gardner and paved the way for Benson.

#2 bridge

bridge

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2001 - 03:31 AM

I read it and I didn't like it. All that time in the castle I expected some kind of thrilling adventure, and a failed attempt at suspense on the writer's part came instead. The book was not organized well. I think the story wasted a villain who could have been one of the best.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 06:38 PM

I really hated NSF when it first came out. Another Gardner disappointment, I thought. But I recently re-read it (as I did all the Gardner books) and while I still think it's a weak entry in the Gardner canon, I found it was not as bad as I remembered. I sensed that Gardner was going for a Bond horror story with this book. At least that's how it starts out. There

#4 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 03:47 AM

I actually enjoyed NSF the first time I read it. The "serial killer" plot was a nice break from the usual Bond formula and I thought that Dragonpol was one of Gardner's better villains.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 August 2001 - 07:51 PM

Gardner leaps on the mid-90s serial killer craze. Really quite an odd book (although not quite as weird as The Man from Barbarossa, nor quite as bad (just) as Brokenclaw). The novels plumb a pre-Benson depth with the comment about Bond's admiration for the Disney corporation, which is one of the oddest things I've read in any of the books and doesn't seem to fit in with the 007 of (say) Diamonds are Forever and his views on American culture

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 10:53 AM

I've never read it but I have heard a similair review before. But isn't it called Never Send Flowers???

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 09:09 AM

I've never read it. But I also thought it was titled Never Send Flowers.

#8 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 12:23 PM

But all the characters were so plastic, with Dragonpol as the main villain (a major disappointment), lack of action (only two major fight scenes) and underinventiveness (Bond girl's name could be more exotic than Flicka von Grouse). The ending was a poor flick as well, with the whole book seemingly relying on its last line, 'Never send flowers, sir', to make its impact.

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 01:47 PM

All very valid criticisms there Digitarius. In fact, I think this could be said about most of the late term Gardners. That's why I so disliked NSF when it first came out. I saw the series going down hill and with each book I hoped he would turn it around. But no. This was also during the 6 year "gap" in the movies so it was a VERY dark time for Bond fans.

But now, with the 007 renaissance in full swing, I can re-read the Gardner books and accept them for what they are. Weak Bond...but still Bond.

#10 Digitarius

Digitarius

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 May 2001 - 11:41 AM

Yeah, it's called Never Send Flowers, but I always compare this with the unofficial Bond film Never Say Never Again, for both exhibited Bond as a slow-moving, useless, lack of action man who's reason in the MI6 remains a mystery.

#11 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 09:46 AM

Jim (02 Aug, 2001 08:51 p.m.):
The novel plumbs a pre-Benson depth with the comment about Bond's admiration for the Disney corporation, which is one of the oddest things I've read in any of the books and doesn't seem to fit in with the 007 of (say) Diamonds are Forever and his views on American culture

I guess having secured Disney's assistance in the research phase, Gardner felt obliged to give Disney an endorsement, no matter how out of character the sentiment is.
But Gardner's Bond is mostly out of character anyway.
Whatever Benson's literary limitations compared to Fleming, at least he makes a genuine effort to keep "his" Bond consistent with Flemings.