"This is not a country club 007!"

7 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 February 2002 - 03:12 AM

In LTK when M revokes Bond's licence to kill, and demands him to hand over his gun Dalton says "I guess this is a farewell to arms".

What is the hidden significance of this line?

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:43 AM

Ahhh.....

If that's the case, DVDs should be banned from this particular forum. :)

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:01 AM

Blofeld's Cat (14 Feb, 2002 04:06 a.m.):
I'll give that to you, walther, although it's actually the title of one of his books. :)

It's a shame that this isn't recognised as what it is, one of the more sophisticated jokes of the Bond series, and certainly the most sophisticated moment of Licence to Kill.

Shame that scene is then blown to buggery (don't ask; perhaps it's an English public school thing) by some bloke in a lighthouse trying to shoot Bond. I mean, what?

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:34 PM

Jim (15 Feb, 2002 08:01 a.m.):
It's a shame that this isn't recognised as what it is, one of the more sophisticated jokes of the Bond series, and certainly the most sophisticated moment of Licence to Kill.

Shame that scene is then blown to buggery (don't ask; perhaps it's an English public school thing) by some bloke in a lighthouse trying to shoot Bond. I mean, what?

Jim?

Did you just praise something in Licence To Kill? I'm shocked. Obviously, your wife's pregnancy was got you all flustered. It's understandable. When my wife was pregnant I think I might of actually said something good about Octopussy.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:50 PM

Lack of sleep, and the hormones are raging.

That's me, not the wife.

It is just that moment though. All three seconds of it.

(And I am referring to Licence to Kill here, not the baby making. Three seconds? What do you think I have, some kind of superhuman stamina?)

#6 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:03 AM

Thank you BC, but the reason it was so easy for me was because I was just watching the LTK commentaries yesterday and that was mentioned on them.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 04:05 AM

I'll give that to you, walther, although it's actually the title of one of his books. :)

#8 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 03:23 AM

I believe the location was Ernest Hemingway's home and A farewell to arms was a line in one of his books. I think it was his last book if I'm not mistaken.