9 replies to this topic

#1 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 11:37 PM

I was just able to order a copy of Amis's James Bond Dossier, a Signet paperback for six dollars, US, it should be here withing a week.

Does anyone have this book and if so how is it?

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 12:29 AM

It's pretty well done book. Much like Benson's The James Bond Bedside Companion, but obviously earlier and really focusing on the books. I read a library copy of the book some fifteen years ago when I was in the middle of reading the Fleming novels for the first time, so I don't remember alot of the details. But I do remember really digging into it and it getting me fired up for the rest of the Fleming books.
I bought the Signet version about six months ago but have yet to really tear through it, just an occasional use as a reference piece.

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 January 2002 - 12:45 AM

I have a very early edition, if not the original, locked away in storage in Sydney.

On my next trip I should bring some of these books up and scan them for CBN. I have a few such Bond related books from that period.

I feel a little depressed now.:)

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 03:02 AM

It must be depressing not to have your collection with you Blofelds Cat, but that's the way it works sadly sometimes.

I missed out recently on a first edition of the dossier in pretty good condition. It was on Ebay and went for about US$12. It's a book I really want to get.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 January 2002 - 06:33 AM

Blue Eyes (15 Jan, 2002 03:02 a.m.):
It must be depressing not to have your collection with you Blofelds Cat, but that's the way it works sadly sometimes.

It never played on my mind for the last 5 years. Then I discovered CBN, which really piqued my interest in Bond once again.

Damn you, CBN! :)

#6 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 11:09 PM

I'm sure the Dossier will come in handy for references when writing my Bond fanfic, having already made a chronological mistake with SMERSH.

Sorry to hear about your collection, BC.

#7 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 08:40 PM

Well, I just got the Dossier in the mail just now. I briefly skimmed through it and looks like it will be very interesting.

#8 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 09:35 PM

The James Bond Dossier is a very enjoyable read. I bought my first copy many years ago -- it was a first edition paperback and has a really tight binding. I think I've got a signed copy of the UK hardback somewhere -- I'm just not sure of it's whereabouts right now. Due to the size of my collection there is a lot of stuff in boxes. I'm sure it is in one of those. I alternate the stuff I display every month or so.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 01:09 AM

RossMan (15 Jan, 2002 11:09 p.m.):
I'm sure the Dossier will come in handy for references when writing my Bond fanfic, having already made a chronological mistake with SMERSH.

Sorry to hear about your collection, BC.

Yeah, thanks RossMan. At least it is safe and sound.

That book should be able to help out anyone writing a fanfic. Its an excellent Bond reference tool.

#10 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 February 2002 - 08:17 AM

I've read this book twice, and it's not too bad. It also has a nifty chart in the back of the book.
Also, has anyone read O. F. Snelling's bokk about Bond? It's similar to this book and was written roughly around the same time. While I find it inferior in some ways, I also have found it to be an easier read. He mentions the first 2 Bond flicks in it.