Moneypenny replaced?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Nikos

Nikos

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

I was watching Octopussy on tv last night, and it occured to me that I ve never heard or read an explanation for Miss Smallbone's presence. I suppose she was to Maxwell whatever Cleese was to Llewelyn in TWINE, but I ve never heard anyone commenting on it. Anyone have a clue?

#2 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:06 AM

I've always assumed that she was intended as an eventual replacement for Moneypenny. Not sure if I've ever seen that in writing though, or why they decided to not go that way..

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

Smallbone was supposed to replace Miss Moneypenny but Lois Maxwell decided to return for one more so they scrapped the idea.

#4 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:50 AM

I think the actress who played Penelope would've made a better Moneypenny for Dalton than Caroline Bliss did.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:04 AM

I think the actress who played Penelope would've made a better Moneypenny for Dalton than Caroline Bliss did.

I do too.

Smallbone, we hardly knew ya.

BTW, Smallbone is a great screen name. Has anyone used it yet?

#6 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

Penelope Smallbone seemed a bit characterless for me in OP. I was never bothered that they never brought her back. That said, Lois Maxwell was getting way too old to play Moneypenny by 1983. I've always thought she should have gone either at the end of TSWLM or MR.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

BTW, Smallbone is a great screen name. Has anyone used it yet?

From a quick search, it still seems to be available. :tup:

#8 I Like Sharks

I Like Sharks

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:04 AM

I think that Louis Maxwell left at the right time, when Roger Moore left. Penelope Smallbone should have stayed in the series-it would have been interesting to see Moneypenny have a rival.

The Moneypenny/Smallbone scene is definatly a highlight of Octopussy. Moneypenny gets a rose, Smallbone gets the bunch-says it all about Roger Moore really! :tup:

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

I can't remember where I read it. But one of the source books mentioned that a new "younger" character was introduced to be able to flirt with the newer younger Bond. Remember, this was during the period where Moore "quit" after every film he did. It's always been my believe that they wrote each of Rog's last three films with the intention of it being a "first" film for a Bond actor.

#10 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

I think that Louis Maxwell left at the right time, when Roger Moore left. Penelope Smallbone should have stayed in the series-it would have been interesting to see Moneypenny have a rival.

The Moneypenny/Smallbone scene is definatly a highlight of Octopussy. Moneypenny gets a rose, Smallbone gets the bunch-says it all about Roger Moore really! :tup:

Indeed.... Roger's "oh of COURSE you are" was perfect....

#11 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

Actually, he didn't say that...

#12 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

I think when the 80s arrived, Moneypenny was only there because she was a member of the cast - if you follow me!

I mean look at Octopussy - why she has that scene is anyone's guess. The same with A View To a Kill.

I can recall an outake from Octopussy when Maxwell as Moneypenny says: This is my new assistant, Miss Penelope Smallbush! and Roger says: Oh, Moneypenny, I know where your mind is!

#13 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

Actually, he didn't say that...

yes he did....

Edited by deth, 20 April 2006 - 03:14 PM.