This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Interesting blurb about Craig as Bond from Roger Ebert.

5 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:32 AM

Here is a rather interesting blurb near the end of Ebert's review of Layer Cake:

Daniel Craig was said to be the front-runner for the next James Bond, until it began to be said that Pierce Brosnan might return for a farewell lap. My own money is on Clive Owen, but who would wish James Bond on anyone?

I remember when those rumors of Pierce coming back were cropping up, they didnt last very long. I think it's rather interesting what he has to say about Craig, implying that Craig being Bond would be a step back for an up and comer like himself. It's also interesting that Ebert was betting on Owen getting the part (he has good taste :tup: ). In any event I thought that was intresting when I read it and thought I'd share :D

The link to Ebert's review can be found here Layer Cake review

Incidentally, the review is quite positive.

#2 ChrisWalkensPal

ChrisWalkensPal

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

I think its sad that he said "who would wish Bond on anyone" Is this what the world has come to?
Too bad so many people moan and whine about change.

#3 avl

avl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

I think its sad that he said "who would wish Bond on anyone" Is this what the world has come to?

The avalanche of nonsense press vitriol and so-called "fan" "boycott" websites would seem to indicate that he was spot on
very sad I agree and kudos to Craig for being ballsy enough to ignore that side of it and take the role :tup: (I dont think Owen had the guts btw :D )
Hopefully CR will rock and change everyones expectations of what a Bond film should or could be :D

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

Nice review.That's a great pic of Craig.He really looks like James Bond in that shot,despit the blond locks. :tup:

He did seem way too practical to be a criminal.

#5 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

Well I think it's true. The actor had better be very committed to actually doing it. Look whats happening to Craig. Even if you had someone that might have been more favorable with the masses like Owen, we still would be seeing problems. Brosnan got the same kind of crap, although not as bad because the Internet wasn't as huge in 94/95. Still a baby. So did the others - even (and in some circumstances, especially) Connery.

#6 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:47 AM

That's exactly right. The only reason Craig seems so controversial is that the Internet has magnified fan criticism. Had this been the state of affairs in 1969, the controversy then would have been much greater than it is now. People would have been calling for the series to end, complaining that no one could possibly live up to Connery, griping about continuity, saying an Australian can't possibly play Bond, etc. etc. Someone would eventually post pictures of Lazenby wearing a kilt. He'd be torn to bits.