11 replies to this topic

#1 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:55 AM

I am preparing trivia files for all the Bond films and perhaps a future book. I am starting with Goldeneye, but I cannot seem to find one report of how Dalton got the role in 1986 that agress with another!

I thought it went like this...
Dalton was the first choice. He was offered but couldn't do it because he was doing a play. They went to Brosnan. They offered him the role, but ABC had an 8 day option to extend his Remington Steele contract. Nobody thought they would as the show's ratings were falling. But the heat generated by Brosnan's signing made ABC extend the contract. This made it difficult/ impossible for Brosnan to take the role, but ABC vowed to work it out with Broccoli so Brosnan could do both. But Broccoli thought nobody would pay to watch a Bond they could see on TV, so he withdrew the offer.

Whilst they were waiting out the 8 day option, Eon had to delay filming. Which meant Dalton's play was finished, and a film he was making, Brenda Starr, would be finished up a few days before the start date of the Bond film. So Dalton it was.

Does anyone have anything to add?

Edited by manfromjapan, 23 February 2006 - 12:56 AM.

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:04 AM

Remington Steele was on NBC. I'm not so sure about NBC "vowing" to make it so he could do both. Nevertheless Broccoli didn't want to share his star with anyone, hence why Brosnan got passed up.

It is correct that Dalton was first approached then later Brosnan (as well as others being screentested) then back to Dalton once he became free. Dalton was actually approached a number of times - probably more relevant in 1982 when Moore looked as if he wasn't going to return. In fact I think I even remember Sean Connery endorsing Dalton at the time.

I don't think production of TLD was delayed either. Wouldn't be surprised, I guess, I just don't recall hearing that at all.

#3 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!!

#4 me4007th007

me4007th007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

The first time Dalton was approached, if I'm not mistaken, was after You Only Live Twice when he was 23. He turned the role down because he thought he was too young. I seem to recall him being approached again after Diamonds Are Forever, and then turning it down again because he was committed at the time. Then, I think he was offered it again for For Your Eyes Only, and then turned it down again. Then finally, when he was freed, he accepted it.

It's a bloody shame he didn't take it sooner than he did. He ranks #2 in my book behind Connery.

#5 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

NBC's option for renewal was actually 60 days, not eight, and they renewed Remington Steele on the 60th and final day, thus, per Broccoli's earlier statements about not wanting to share his Bond with a television series, effectively preventing Brosnan from being 007.

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

The way that I seem to recall it going down was that Dalton was first approached for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. He was offered the role, but turned it down. Then, when Roger Moore left the role, Dalton was approached again, but was committed to the film Brenda Starr, which made him unavailable for TLD. After that, Sam Neill (of Jurassic Park fame) was approached, and was the favorite of most of the crew working on the film with the exception of Cubby, so the part didn't go to him. Then Brosnan was approached, signed up, and NBC then decided to use its option for Remington Steele on the 60th and final day of its window in which to renew the show for a few more episodes. Cubby decides not to share Brosnan with NBC, so it was time to search for a new 007. All of this waiting for Brosnan caused Dalton to become available, who then accepted the role.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

I don't think production of TLD was delayed either. Wouldn't be surprised, I guess, I just don't recall hearing that at all.

According to the DVD it was delayed by two weeks (I think). It also says (although it isn't the most unbiased of sources!) that Dalton was first choice but couldn't do it, everyone became happy with Sam Neill except Cubby who had the casting vote, everyone wanted Pierce but he was taken away and then Tim was free and had to get to the Bond set within two days.

#8 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

Although some sources have backed it up to before OHMSS - I think that is a revisionist scenario.

Dalton himself, on Good Morning America, pointed to a post DAF as when he was approached.

On the TLD DVD - he mentions a number of films under his belt after he was approached for the first time - and most of the films he mentions were post-OHMSS.

And for the record, OHMSS director Peter Hunt told me in 1995 that Dalton was never considered for OHMSS.

http://www.panos.gr/...afjbfaq/4.shtml

#9 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

It should have been :

- Dalton from 1973 to 1985

- Brozza 1987 to now

But hey, history sayz diffently.

#10 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

The 60 day option was MTM (the company that owned/produced RS) not NBC, the network that the show aired on. So you can blame Mary Tyler Moore and Grant Tinker (Moore's ex husband, who became President of NBC) for Brosnan not getting TLD.

Edited by SecretAgent007, 25 February 2006 - 08:07 PM.

#11 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

It should have been :

- Dalton from 1973 to 1985

- Brozza 1987 to now

But hey, history sayz diffently.

I agree Dalton should have taken the role earlier, but I have no specific objections to Moore. Also, I don't think Brosnan was a bit too young in the eighties. My ultimate Bond chronology would have gone like this:

- Connery until 1969 (final film would be OHMSS; no return for DAF)

- Moore from 1971 to 1979 (beginning with DAF, ending with MR)

- Dalton from 1981 to 1991 (beginning with FYEO, ending with hypothetical "Property of a Lady" or something)

- Brosnan from 1993 to 2002 (beginning with ???, ending with DAD)

I think every Bond actor should have roughly a decade, and roughly five films. I don't think Roger should have continued past 1980, but he would have been great in DAF. Likewise, I think Dalton would have been great beginning in 1981. I think Brosnan should have gotten the chance to make another film too.

#12 sevenil

sevenil

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:36 AM

I am constantly hearing that Jason Isaacs did a test for Goldeneye and was a hot fave with eon but was considered too short .

The stories about this are that he nailed the part and I wondered if these tests are accessible as I have always though he had a dalton esque look about him and is indeed a fine actor