This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

How many did you think Brosnan would do?

27 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:18 AM

After walking out of the theater upon seeing Goldeneye, whether you enjoyed it or not. How many Bond films did you think Pierce would have done? I have to admit I figured he'd do at least 6 films, after all (with the exception of Dalton and Lazenby) that seemed the norm. So how many did you think he'd do?

Is there anyone here that wished he'd stop at Goldeneye?

#2 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:29 AM

I thought he had the potential to do 6 or 7. I figured we might be lucky to have Dalton stick around around for 3, as he was a stage actor and I couldn't see him hanging around that long.

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:47 AM

I expected exactly 4 Brosnan outings. Brosnan said so in all his interviews. He also said after TWINE that Bond 20 would come in 3 years and he'd bow out so the whole Brosnan departure has been consistent with my expectations.I can relate to his hardcore fans who were dissapointed to see him ley go...I wish I got to see 4 Dalton films.

#4 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:09 AM

I expected exactly 4 Brosnan outings. Brosnan said so in all his interviews. He also said after TWINE that Bond 20 would come in 3 years and he'd bow out so the whole Brosnan departure has been consistent with my expectations.I can relate to his hardcore fans who were dissapointed to see him ley go...I wish I got to see 4 Dalton films.

That was my belief as well. I was always expecting to see a new face in the role of James Bond after BOND 20.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:22 AM

Yup and I'm so thrilled to see the deck get re-shuffled...a new exciting era awaits...and I hope we can see the end of these ant-Craig-bring back Brosnan threads... :tup:

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:35 AM

Yup and I'm so thrilled to see the deck get re-shuffled...a new exciting era awaits...and I hope we can see the end of these ant-Craig-bring back Brosnan threads... :tup:

Indeed. Daniel Craig has stepped into the role of 007, and has brought excitement along with him.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:38 AM

After walking out of the theater upon seeing Goldeneye, whether you enjoyed it or not. How many Bond films did you think Pierce would have done?

I wasn't sure but there was always the prospect of him doing one too many. Four was about right.

#8 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:54 AM

I always figured Pierce Brosnan would do five with the possibility for a sixth. But of course I was also of the belief that EON would come out with a film every other year. Had they done that, then Brosnan would have fulfilled my expectations (1995, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003 and perhaps 2005).

#9 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

I knew he wouldn't be doing 7 films like Roger. Brosnan didn't do that much for me as Bond I was just glad that the films had started again.

#10 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:19 AM

I expected him to match Moore and Connery with around 6/7 movies. That's before they started spacing them out with three year gaps. He probably could have done one, or even two, more movies without looking any more ridiculous than any of the other actors did in their final outings.

#11 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:25 AM

I agree and I have said this often before that Brosnan was too young looking in his first 2 films. DAD was the first film he really looked the way I think Bond should look in age/face etc. These days physically Brosnan looks like Bond should look. - Ironic.

He should be the new Bond NOW. Craig looks too old already!.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

I was expecting about six.

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

After walking out of the theater upon seeing Goldeneye, whether you enjoyed it or not. How many Bond films did you think Pierce would have done?

Six or seven. And I thought that way right up until the first "Brosnan no longer Bond?" rumours started up in (I think it was) early 2004. I genuinely believed Eon would be happy to keep him on until he was about 60.

#14 Kalel577

Kalel577

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:43 PM

5 films.

#15 J.B.

J.B.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

I thought with Goldeneye that Bond was back and that they would ride out Brosnan for as long as they could. And, with Brosnan looking better with age aka Harrison Ford in his movies playing Jack Ryan etc., I thought they would really capitalize on the popularity and the money making potential.

However, when I learned (from these forums) that they had spaced out the films longer than previous Bonds and it was Brosnan's desire to do it that way I realized that that was part of the waste of the potential. Having a film every other year with a good Bond creates continual momentum and that is great for popularity and continuing a series. When you space them out longer every new film can seem to be a reboot.

All of this depends on how you see Bond. I see him as an older agent, late 30's to late 40's and even older if they look young naturally. I didnt even realize how old Roger Moore was until AVTAK when he looked like he needed a cane! :tup: So, to me, Brosnan had many more left in him. And, his desire to change from 4 to more could have been because he saw his gravy train and what he did best, play agent type roles.

#16 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

It's not quantity, it's quality, LTD AND LTK are just better well crafted bond films, the quality in brosnans films largely got worser as his 4 films continued, so that's why 4 wasn't enough, it bascially felt like they did half of a bond film for DAD, half in TWINE-TOO much melowdrama, not enough bondian character moments, half in TND-OVERACTION.

I think Brosnan films were never their potential, so do you understand why brosnan fans want more, and why brosnan wanted a 5th, the hope EON would give him a full decent script to work with.

I would be happy with 2-3 Brosnan bond films as long as they were written very well, quality over quantity.

#17 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:11 PM

Assuming EON stayed with the release of a Bond film every other year, I expected Pierce to make 5-6 films.

IMHO, I predict Craig will do 3-4 films.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:16 PM

I always said Pierce would do as many Bond films as he could...which I thought would total 6 and maybe even 7. I never expected he'd "get the boot" after 4.

#19 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

I would have bet the house on 5.

The removal men are carting away my stuff as we speak....

:tup:

#20 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

I expected him to last until 2010, with a minimum of 5, to 7 bond movies, like his great predecessors.

But then, seeing that none Boredza Bond was up to even the worse of the Moore, totally unbondian except for some scenes there and there, I say great. Bring on Craig, hoping he will look like an ANIMAL on screen, like Connery did, win at baccarat, fight the second hand men, and will f--- the birds out of their brains and kill all the bad guys and smash them and then relax with one final f--- until the words the end comes up. THAT IS BOND !!!! Not the "let's peel the layer of me", "I'm moody" , "that's what keeps me alive, I'm sensitive" hey, BOND WAKE UP ! BE YOURSELF NOT SOME SISSY ! :tup:

#21 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

I'm not sure I had an exact number in mind. Maybe 4 if I had to say, but my line of thinking was "more than Dalton, but most likely less than Moore or Connery."

#22 Number 6

Number 6

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6555 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:35 PM

I thought he'd do at most 4 more after GoldenEye.

#23 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:33 PM

I always thought he would do 5, with the final one being in 2005. This was a thought I had after seeing TND at the cinema and it never changed right up until mid to late 2003.

#24 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

I didn't have to walk out of GE knowing how long I figured Brosnan would be around. I knew when he was introduced in June 1994 he would be Bond about a decade, which he basically was. If didn't count on the 3-year gap between TWINE and DAD nor the 4 between DAD and CR, so until Craig was announced, Pierce was still Bond. You just knew he was the right one at the time.

Now, it's time to move on.

#25 OVERLORD

OVERLORD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:12 AM

I thought he would do 5, I think he said once that he never wanted to do as many as Connery or Moore

#26 Q'ute

Q'ute

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:29 AM

About 4 or 5, never thought he'd make as many as Moore

#27 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:45 AM

I thought he'd do 4 or 5...

#28 Blue07

Blue07

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

He could, and certainly should, have done a lot more. Had the legal wranglings not happened in the early nineties maybe we could have had him in the role sooner, but even so after GE it just seemed to me that we finally had our perfect Bond (up there with Connery) and had he been respected better we could and should have had five or six from him. He's still got it, and then some. :tup: