Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:41 PM

Here's a little list of whom I want as next composer:

Hans Zimmer
If you have seen The Rock. He has done great music to that soundtrack. I would like to hear him doing Bond

Klaus Badelt
Also does great music. Works sometimes with Zimmer.

John Powell
Did great work with the "Bourne" movies. Would like to her his take

James Horner
He could do good music too. His soundtrack for Aliens was perfect. He could do a more Barry-ish soundtrack

John Ottman
One of my favourites. He did a masterpiece with X2 and should do a great soundtrack with Bond 22 and beyond.

The RZA
This can not be such a good idea but the music for the Kill Bill movies was excellent. It could be a more rocky soundtrack and the Bond movies don't need that after Kamen's failed experiment (bad memories :))

John Barry
He's the man. He should do this. he is alive and if he and EON could finish up their battle he can finally do a new Bond score.

My favourites is Barry (of course, who else), Zimmer (man he could do great music) and Ottman.

Your turn.

#2 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:45 PM

John Barry is a God among mortal film composers. He is the man.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:52 PM

If Barry did another, I wouldn't have a problem. Danny Elfman is another that intrigues me.

#4 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:27 PM

Elfman is a good choice too.

#5 Jmart007

Jmart007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:27 PM

I think most of the Kill Bill music came from Robert Rodriguez and not The Rza (or at least the 2nd half contained more from Rodriguez. Also, a lot of Kill Bill's music came from past scores/tv shows. For instance The Green Hornet Theme was used along with a chunk of stuff done by Ennio Morricone. So that being said Rodriguez would be my dream choice. Then I would say..........

Barry
Zimmer
John Williams (Another dream choice, but we all know it's not going to happen)

As for Elfman, he would be my last choice. Even though his scores are good, most of them sound the same.

Edited by Jmart007, 19 August 2004 - 08:28 PM.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

Elfman is a good choice too.

Indeed. Spiderman, Batman. His best score ever in my opinion was the dark, moody, but so very effective Batman Returns.

#7 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:39 PM

I think Spider-Man is the best theme he has done. The Ben Mourning music is so good.

#8 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:41 PM

His Batman score is good but now as good as Spider-Man

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

I think Spider-Man is the best theme he has done. The Ben Mourning music is so good.

Spiderman is good, but it's not really standout.

#10 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

John Powell who did Supremacy, Italian Job and Paycheck.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:44 PM

Batman Returns, is the better of them.

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

Agreed.

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan, so I've been in the process of collecting all of Elfmans Burton scors. I have the majority of them, and I think Elfman would be an inspired choice to do a Bond score.

Of course you know we'll be stuck with David Arnold again :)

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:16 PM

My vote for a future Bond composer goes to Don Davis. Really talented guy, and should be able to do a heck of a Bond score. This is all assuming that Barry couldn't return, of course.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:01 AM

Agreed.

I'm a huge Tim Burton fan, so I've been in the process of collecting all of Elfmans Burton scors. I have the majority of them, and I think Elfman would be an inspired choice to do a Bond score.

Of course you know we'll be stuck with David Arnold again :)

David Arnold, I think, may really pull out the stops for Bond 21.

#15 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:19 AM

What is wrong with David Arnold? He does not need to be replaced. If he was replaced with John Barry then it would be okay.

#16 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:20 AM

Hopefully he will. TND was his best score - and that was because he relied mainly on the orchestra with large brass, rarely using the techno that became so dominant in TWINE and DAD. I'm really interested to hear his "new direction" for Bond music; he's right when he says that his take on Bond music thus far has been taken as far as it can be.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:22 AM

Hopefully he will. TND was his best score - and that was because he relied mainly on the orchestra with large brass, rarely using the techno that became so dominant in TWINE and DAD. I'm really interested to hear his "new direction" for Bond music; he's right when he says that his take on Bond music thus far has been taken as far as it can be.

I agree with everything you just said. Absolutely love all three scores, but Tomorrow Never Dies is number one slightly.

I'm very interested to see where that new direction takes us.

#18 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:04 AM

What is wrong with David Arnold?

What's wrong with Arnold? Nothing really, he's a one shot composer that got carried away and did a few more films than he should have. But with Barry seemingly not wanting to come back to the series, I guess Arnold is the best shot we have (we know the producers like him, so he probably will be the Bond composer of choice from now on).

#19 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 08:17 AM

Nothings wrong with Arnold. He's a great composer and shouldn't get replaced but this thread is about IF he was replaced.

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

What's wrong with Arnold? Nothing really, he's a one shot composer that got carried away and did a few more films than he should have.

One shot composer? Why do you say that, JimmyBond?

#21 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:35 PM

I quite like John Powell, just listen to such tracks as "Treadstone Assassins" and the main titiles for The Bourne Identity and you know he could pull it off.

Barry would be awesome, that's no doubt, but as far as I'm concerned the next composer should ---- David Arnold :)

#22 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:22 AM

If Arnold had to be sadly replaced, here are my tops:

1. Howard Shore - For obvious reasons, Shore has the ability to create an absolute masterpiece. EXTREMELY unlikely, but I'd die to have him do Bond.

2. James Newton Howard - His 'Village' score was gorgeous, and he can compose music that will make you jump. At least half of the big 'jump' moments in the Shymalan films are due to his work. Another dream.

3. Danny Elfman - Good pick, Qwerty. He did excellent things for the update of M:I. I'd love to hear his orchestration of the Bond theme, and an action score with traditional percussion (not that I don't like techno in moderation).

4. Hans Zimmer - After Gladiator, he had me. He has a spectacular capacity for action cues and slow, make-you-want-to-cry music. Check the end of Gladiator.

5. In an unlikely spot for me, I actually am keen on the Don Davis idea. His Matrix work was actually very, very good, IMO, and Bond would probably suit him well. He could also do very well on some traditional percussive action cues. We know he's good with brass, at least. :)

#23 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:39 PM

What's wrong with Arnold? Nothing really, he's a one shot composer that got carried away and did a few more films than he should have.

Because he was percieved (by me, and by Arnold himself) as a one shot composer who got a lucky break. I'm not sure he realized that by doing TND he'd become the default Bond composer.

Not that I have anything against him, and if the producers want him, who am I to say otherwise, I just wish they'd go for a little variety.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:20 PM

Because he was percieved (by me, and by Arnold himself) as a one shot composer who got a lucky break. I'm not sure he realized that by doing TND he'd become the default Bond composer.

Not that I have anything against him, and if the producers want him, who am I to say otherwise, I just wish they'd go for a little variety.

Fair enough I guess. He was asked back for The World Is Not Enough nearing the end of his work on Tomorrow Never Dies. Perhaps we'll get the variety you want when he goes in the new direction he has been speaking of.

#25 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:57 PM

Either Powell or Elfman. I feel that Zimmer would give too much of that techno-ish feeling he used in The Rock and Gladiator. And Barry isn't gonna come back no matter how much money they throw at him.

I still think Powell's high on my list... his score to "Paycheck" is of course a must-listen if you're a film score fan...

#26 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:36 PM

Danny Elfman is my number 1 choice. I think he'd do a very unique score. Plus I'd love to hear his take on the Bond theme.

#27 Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:47 PM

1. John Barry - I love his work, and the way he makes the film seem more whole. He really brings a great feel to his films.

2. Sean Callery - Does great work for "24", and would really work well in a film, if given the option. His stuff for EON was good, a film could be better.

3. John Powell - His work is what helped make the Bourne series so good. Really nice use of drums and good beats.

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:35 AM

Danny Elfman is my number 1 choice. I think he'd do a very unique score. Plus I'd love to hear his take on the Bond theme.

Jimmy Bond, if you can, listen to his (in my opinion outstanding) end title piece for Batman Returns. I keep wondering how he could do the James Bond theme based on that. Especially the opening of it.

#29 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:39 AM

Jimmy Bond, if you can, listen to his (in my opinion outstanding) end title piece for Batman Returns. I keep wondering how he could do the James Bond theme based on that. Especially the opening of it.

Can do (I own the soundtrack in fact :)). Though I'm a bit hazy on the meaning behind your post, are you saying you're not sure if he could do a Bond theme based on his gothic style of composing? Or are you saying he's versatile enough to be able to do a great Bond theme?

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:42 AM

Versatile, and I just thought of what it would be like for him to do it while listening to that track.