3 replies to this topic

#1 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 02:41 PM

Did anyone else see the programme entitled 'Big boys toys - james bond's gadgets' on the History Channel on Monday evening at 7pm.

I may be alone, but I was really disappointed. The programme was the opener in a new series about boys toys.

I had been quite looking forward to the programme, and hoping to get some new insights. Instead we were subjected to seeing the same clips over and over, with the cumulative total minutes of decent information imparted to the viewer adding up to about 10 mins.

It was nice to hear from very valid bond types, such as Little Nellie inventor and pilot Ken Wallis, special effects guy Chris Corbould and DB5 book author Dave Worrall.

What I found really annoying, was the terrible descriptive from the PR woman at Beaulieu Motor Museum (last years exhibition of bond vehicles), which was agony to sit through as she clearly knew nothing about the vehicles apart from the very brief introduction she gave.

Basically we were not shown very much we didn't already know. One might say that it was pitched at non-bond enthusiasts who would not wish to have more detailed information, but I would respond that surely it would only be watched by bond enthusiasts anyway, after all it wasn't on BBC1 was it.

No doubt the History Channel will be repeating it, so anyone who hasn't seen it, please give it a look and tell me I am right.

Flares

#2 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 03:11 PM

I saw it thought it was pretty good. About what you expect in this sort of show since they had no actual Bond footage. The information on Little Nellie was interesting but too drawn out. All in all worth a watch, but probably not worth a 2nd. (Still I'll be keeping a tape for reference material.)

#3 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:26 PM

Cheers for responding Mr *.
Please tell me you found the PR woman irritating. Especially when she explained what a periscope is for.......please!

regards

Flares

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 04:37 PM

Yes, she was very annoying. Much too proud of herself, I would say.