25 replies to this topic

#1 Obiwan

Obiwan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:52 AM

I mean I've looked everywhere Half Price Books, Barnes and Noble and the bookstores I've passed, but for some reason I just cant find any of his books and I cant understand why. Is anyone else having a problem finding his books?

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, the bookshops on Tattooine are rubbish, aren't they? It's all just manuals about power converters, and stuff like How to Get the Best Deal From a Jawa. :D :tup:

But seriously....

I think Benson's books are all out of print now, at least in English-speaking countries. About half of 'em have been out of print for a couple of years, and now all of 'em are. I've had the same problem in tracking them down. Try the internet or secondhand bookshops.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:00 PM

eBay and Half.com are sure bets.

#4 Obiwan

Obiwan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:18 AM

Thanks, Yea the bookshops on Tattooine dont have what i'm looking for. lol

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:56 AM

Borders is also a good bet for alot of the Benson paperbacks (at least the ones around here).

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:57 AM

[edit]

#7 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

I mean I've looked everywhere Half Price Books, Barnes and Noble and the bookstores I've passed, but for some reason I just cant find any of his books and I cant understand why. Is anyone else having a problem finding his books?

View Post

You're not the only one, Obiwan, I can't find them anywhere either. :tup: I remember in his interview here last year hge said the print runs were pretty limited.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

http://commanderbond...es/2737-1.shtml

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

The Benson I really wish they'd reprint is the "Bedside Companion". Best book about the Bond phenomenon ever, in my humble.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

You can pick them up for pennies at amazon.com. Thats where I got most of them. I managed to pick up all of his 007 novels (hardbacks even) for about $20.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:29 AM

The Benson I really wish they'd reprint is the "Bedside Companion".

View Post

Agreed. It is well overdue.

#12 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:04 AM

The only Benson's I've got I got at a book signing, which were Doubleshot and The James Bond Bedside Companion.

Too bad they're out of print, but they're bound to start up again someday.

Edited by Quartermaster007, 26 November 2005 - 01:05 AM.

#13 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:04 AM

View Post

I've looked in a handful of used bookstores near me and I've only managed to find Red tattoo (twice!) but none of the others. I've had no problem finding most of the Gardners and Flemings (and Colonel Sun), but strangely not much Benson. I'm reluctant to buy them from ebay, because most of them are from these book wholesalers who just put a generic "good condition, may have wear" kind of description, which could mean anything. I don't need mint condition, but I also don't want to get a book that has the cover hanging off and may have been used as a dog chew toy.

#14 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:32 AM

I never see Bensons anywhere.

The only two I have, Doubleshot and NDOD, I found for a dollar each at a local Save-A-Lot...a discount supermarket chain. Weird, huh?

#15 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:35 AM

I think the problem with the Benson books is that they're not only out of print (meaning you can't find them at Barnes and Noble) but are also too new (late 90s-2002) to appear in used book stores.

#16 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

If you're having trouble finding Raymond Benson's book, might I suggest you contact him via his web-site ( http://www.raymondbenson.com ) as I'm sure he has some available to sell. I even here he might have SIGNED copies to sell. :tup:

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:08 AM

I think the problem with the Benson books is that they're not only out of print (meaning you can't find them at Barnes and Noble) but are also too new (late 90s-2002) to appear in used book stores.

View Post

That is certainly a good point. One such store near where I live carries many of the Fleming's and Gardner's, but I believe I've only ever seen one paperback of High Time To Kill there.

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:36 PM

Seriously, as I said above you should check Amazon.com.

#19 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:23 AM

I am thrilled that I managed to snag the TND and TWINE novelisations at Half-Price Books here in Lexington. What a great store!

#20 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

I've had pretty good luck using half.com for this sort of situation...

Try this.

#21 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

I'm in the exact same situation, the only Benson novels I can find are the Die Another Day and Tomorrow Never Dies novilizations. Come to think of it I cant find any of Gardners either.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:08 AM

eBay, eBay, eBay. Abebooks too.

#23 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Have you tried raymondbenson.com?

#24 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Secondhand bookshops. Every time. Full of gems, they are.

#25 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:49 AM

Found all of mine - Jove paperbacks and novelizations - on Border's Marketplace. They also appeared to have a good deal of the hardbacks in your prefer those. It got a little pricey with shipping, but such is life.

#26 SILVERTOE

SILVERTOE

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Near where Bond's Bentley was destroyed in GOLDFINGER

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have had the same problem here in England, as they all seemed to have a limited print run. I was able to buy the novel of TWINE when it came out brand new in 1999, and i did the same with DAD in january 2003 when it was on dispaly in a gift shop, who was also selling various JAMES BOND memorabilia, such as a tuxedo style t-shirt, the toy of the aston martin and so on. The strange thing was the very same day, i popped into my local WATERSTONES, and looked up the "B" section, and found the novel tie in of TND, which was the first paperback edition, had been sitting on the shelf for 5 years, and the pages were turing yellow! I bought it straight away, as i did not have this book either!

AS for the original RAYMOND BENSON novels, I inquired in the same book shop back at the start of 2007, and the lady told me that the only book they may be able to get in, was a paperback of MAN WITH THE RED TATTOO. I found a few on AMAZON and EBAY, but these were over the top prices, so in the end , via amazon market place, i bought all 6 books in hardback, as ex-libary books from various places across America, and did not pay very kuch for the at really, as most were under £1. Okay, if you are a collector, then you don't really want libary stamps on your books, but i only want to read them, so i am not to fussed, and i think including postage, the whole 6 did not come to half the price that a British edition paper back would have cost on the second hand market...