6 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 12:20 AM

This evening I saw 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' again on V8 (Fox8 Netherlands). I saw the thrilling scene with James Bond at the Gumbold office, where he is opening a safe with one of Q's gadgets. During the opening, he is reading a Playboy. First new James Bond who reads a PlayBoy.

But then I saw Diamonds Are Forever again. Also an enjoyable Bond movie, but totally different from OHMSS. At the end of the fighting sequence at the elevator in Amsterdam, James Bond changes the passports. Now, then Tiffany takes the wallet of Franks, and he takes a PLAYBOY member card out of this wallet, which results in the enjoyable phrase: "You just killed James Bond!"

But then James Bond (Other James Bond-George Lazenby: "This never happened to the other fellow?!") says:"No one is indistructable!?" So it lloks like Playboy was only made up for George Lazenby. Is this some sort of arrogant goodbeye to George Lazenby, made up by the producers? Or is it just coincidence?

#2 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 10:55 AM

I believe the first story to appear in Playboy was The Hildebrand Rarity.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 02 February 2002 - 02:06 PM

Dr. Tynan (02 Feb, 2002 01:30 a.m.):
According to Hugh Heffron (isn't that what that man is called?)  Playboy "serialised" the Bond novels before Eon made them into films.

It's not just according to Hugh Hefner. I don't know the exact date off top of my head but Playboy started running Bond stories years before the Bond movies.

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 02 February 2002 - 01:30 AM

According to Hugh Heffron (isn't that what that man is called?) Playboy "serialised" the Bond novels before Eon made them into films.

#5 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 08:38 PM

Some of Raymond Benson's short stories have also appeared in Playboy.

#6 zerozeroseven

zerozeroseven

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 February 2002 - 05:17 AM

scaramanga (03 Feb, 2002 10:55 a.m.):I believe the first story to appear in Playboy was The Hildebrand Rarity.

The short stories' The Hildebrand Rarity and Octopussy both appeared originally in Playboy.

A brief version of the novel, You Only Live Twice (originally entitled "You Only Die Twice"), appeared first in Playboy.

The short story The Property of a Lady was first published in a Sotheby's book after Fleming was commisioned to write an auction story. It later appeared in Playboy.

(These facts courtesy of a 007 book by Hoyt and Harry Barber. Of course, the same book claims that Irvin Kershner directed both The Empire Strikes Back and the original Star Wars, so believe what you will.)

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 November 2001 - 01:28 AM

I think it's just a mere co-incidence on that level.

Playboy has always been connected with Bond. There are the novel serialisations, the special issues with photos of Bond girls. The Playboy website even had a huge feature on Bond when TWINE came out.

It's always been connected. Back then it was connected also on screen, wish it still was!