102 replies to this topic

#1 morganhavoc

morganhavoc

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:47 PM

Went out and purchased Layer Cake because a lot of people on the board were saying if you watch Layer Cake you will be convinced that Craig will be a good Bond.

Real good movie, liked it a lot. Craig was very good in the film. But (you knew that was coming), I kept noticing how short Daniel Craig was. He was shorter than almost ever other actor in the film and barely taller than miss Miller the leading lady. In the scene where he is in the night club you can't help but notice that most everyone else is taller than him.

Shooting him from below helped in a lot of scenes, but where he appeared with other actors or in groups, his short stature is very apparent. He must be four or five inches short of six foot. Yes I know they worked around Allen Ladd, Tom Cruise and Sly Stallon height challenge, but why hire a blond ,short guy for a tall ,dark and handsome character? (notice I held back on Craig's attractiveness or lack of)

If they darken his hair, give him lifts, put everyone else in holes; he maybe be able to pull it off. Craig is a pretty good actor. Layer Cake didn't convince me he is Bondian, but he's all we got at this point right?

Love the little guy or hate him, he is the new Bond.

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:55 PM

The IMDb gives his height as 5'11" (1.80m), and his date of birth as 2 March 1968.

Personally, I think he looks both shorter and older, but, hey, no complaints on the Craig front from me. :tup:

#3 morganhavoc

morganhavoc

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the info Loomis. There must have been a bunch of really tall actors in Layer Cake.LOL

#4 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

Craig is a very good actor who may bring some needed vitality to the role. He will not bring looks or physical domination to the role. All we can do is wait and see....and hope.

#5 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

The Spotlight Casting Directory lists Daniel Craig's height as 5'11". So, that's probably where the IMDb info originates from.

Then again, Spotlight also lists Timothy Dalton's height as 6'0", and I'm sure he's at least a couple of inches taller than that.

#6 JameswpBond

JameswpBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:34 PM

If you look at the picture of Christopher Ecclestone standing next to Daniel Craig there's only about a difference of about half an inch between them .Also look at Daniel Craig standing next to Rhys Ifans who's 6ft 2 and there's only about one and a half inches between them.

#7 JameswpBond

JameswpBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

#8 JameswpBond

JameswpBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

#9 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

But in his picture with Brosnan, he seems so much smaller in build and frame than Brosnan. He also appears to be leaning back as if he were on his toes. There are so many conflicting reports out there that unless you stand next to him, it's too hard to tell.

#10 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:25 PM

Doesn't look that short to me. Maybe an inch - inch and half less than Brosnan. Overall I'd say he's 6ft even.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Brosnan/Craig GQ pic either since Brosnan looks like he's about to fall over and Craig looks like he's leaning back.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:50 AM

Doesn't look that short to me. Maybe an inch - inch and half less than Brosnan. Overall I'd say he's 6ft even.

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Brosnan/Craig GQ pic either since Brosnan looks like he's about to fall over and Craig looks like he's leaning back.

Agreed.

#12 medrecess

medrecess

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:14 AM

Brosnan always exaggerated his height.He sometimes says he is 6"2" and sometimes 6"1".In reality pierce is 5"11" or maximum 6 ft.not more than that for sure.Daniel Craig is average height about 5"9".Not more than that for sure.

#13 medrecess

medrecess

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:18 AM

Remember the scene in goldeneye (the swimming pool).You can clearly see that Brosnan is not taller than Famke Janssen who i must mention is one of the tallest actresses and she is 1.80. Brosnan wasnt taller than her.You can see that clearly.

#14 Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:41 PM

Well Craig's agent says 5-11, the standard in the acting industry is to give height with shoes. That means he's 5-11 with shoes, or 5-10 without shoes.

Eon and Sony claiming he is 6-0 or 6-1 even that he is as tall as Connery is ridiculous.

Now as for Pierce I don't know if he really is 6-0 1/2 but this site below says he is, compare that image of him and Craig and Craig looks about 2 inches shorter, putting him around 5-10 1/2

http://www.freewebs....mesbondheights/

Now, maybe Craig is 6-0 if Pierce is 6-2, but he isn't. Eon claimed he was, so did MGM, but when they were asked specifically by the London Times they told them Pierce was 6 feet evevn in truth, they added 2 inches to make him seem bigger.

In other words Craig is around 5-10 most likely.

#15 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:59 AM

I've made a number of posts on this subject before, so I can't be bothered to go into much detail again. But very briefly -

1) Craig's co-star in Sylvia, Gwyneth Paltrow, reckons that at 5'10 she is taller than him.

2) At the BAFTAs this year Craig was noticeably shorter than Brosnan and Clive Owen.

3) A Sunday Telegraph reporter was surprised at his height and estimated it be no more than 5'9".

4) Craig has been a regular on British screens for some time, so there is a wealth of screen evidence to judge from. Take your pick - Craig's fight with Sean Bean in Sharpe looked like man versus mouse; he looked the same height as Paul Newman in Road To Perdition, who is 5'9", and so on.

5) A few weeks back, on his radio show, Jonathan Ross described him as a short, wiry guy. He should know, he's interviewed him enough times.

With all due respect to JameswpBond, Craig is nowhere near as tall as Rhys Ifans. This is very apparent in the film Enduring Love, in which they both starred. Craig looks only a bit shorter in the photo because he is standing significantly closer to the camera.

My best guess at Craig's height is 5'9", certainly no more than 5'10". However, this just isn't important. Craig looked plenty tall enough at the London conference, and I'm sure will appear tall enough in the actual film as well as future Bond interviews. Just don't look too closely at his footwear!

Edited by Bond Bombshell, 15 November 2005 - 02:30 AM.

#16 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:20 AM

Bond is supposed to be 6' so fanboys around the world should be up in arms over Lazenby for being a Godzillic 6'2.5! :D I think Craig is probably 5'11...I don't really care.Although in most cultures height denotes physical power, being tall or large doesn't make a man neccessarily a better fighter,or smarter or more competent in his profession....nor does it insure that a man has film starpresence(see Ben Affleck: 6'3).I think we're waaaay too hung up on superficial things we have no control of... :D

Besides, MI5 does not even hire men over 6'... :tup:

#17 medrecess

medrecess

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

Bond bombshell you are right.Sean Bean is not a major star like brosnan so he doesnt need to sex up the height thing and any search ion the net says he is 5"11".
So,brosnan was never taller than bean in GEYE,so ireckon he is around 5"11" or max 6"

#18 Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:54 AM

I'd say Pierce was a bit taller than Sean. There's no way he is really 6-2 though.

Edited by Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007, 16 November 2005 - 12:54 AM.

#19 Stratus

Stratus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

I can confidently say Craig is at most 5'10. No way in hell is he 6'0 though. Not with those recent pics of him level to level, flat feet next to Paltrow. For some reason people keep apeing that he is 6'0 - its not a big deal he is 5'10 anyways. We have these things called "lifts".

#20 Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:34 AM

Well it's the same thing that everyone keeps saying Pierce is 6-2, when he's really around 6 feet. It seems since the more recent Bonds were shorter they just added 2 inches and most fans seem to feel the need to believe it.

#21 Emma

Emma

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:47 PM

Well it's the same thing that everyone keeps saying Pierce is 6-2, when he's really around 6 feet. It seems since the more recent Bonds were shorter they just added 2 inches and most fans seem to feel the need to believe it.

Brosnan, on his website says that 6'2.

#22 Con Laz Rog Tim Bros Dan 007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

Your point?

He isn't REALLY 6-2.

Just because he says he is means jack.

It's well known he's really around 6 feet.

90 percent of actors fudge their heights.

#23 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

Craig is no less than 5'11 but from looking at various pictures and seeing him against people like Colm Meaney in Layer Cake (who is 5'11) he looks a fraction more.

The odd photo get's bandied about saying he is shorter....but these few photographs always hide the feet. Even cameras can lie, and even Tom Cruise (5'7") can be made to look dominating onscreen, so none of this matters, Craig is fairly tall for an actor, the majority of actors are pretty short, and if they want to make an actor look taller etc on a film they do it...it's what they do in films.

Edited by Leon, 20 November 2005 - 11:31 PM.

#24 Stratus

Stratus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:40 AM

Craig is no less than 5'11 but from looking at various pictures and seeing him against people like Colm Meaney in Layer Cake (who is 5'11) he looks a fraction more.

The odd photo get's bandied about saying he is shorter....but these few photographs always hide the feet. Even cameras can lie, and even Tom Cruise (5'7") can be made to look dominating onscreen, so none of this matters, Craig is fairly tall for an actor, the majority of actors are pretty short, and if they want to make an actor look taller etc on a film they do it...it's what they do in films.

To make matters worse, in that picture the Craig is more close to the camera (playing with perspective) and Paltrow is tilting back. Paltrow is 5ft 7-8

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steven Spielberg is 5'7-8, notice the heels on Paltrow only less than an inch of difference

Jude Law EXPLICITLY stated he is 5'9 (Allure Magazine) and he likes to wear 2 inch lifts. Check out this image of Law next to Paltrow. Keep in mind she is wearing heels too and he is balding (so hair doesn't give him much height).

Posted Image

Again, check out 5'10 Damon, notice Paltrow's heels, at least a good inch or two.

Paltrow is in the range of 5'8-9. I say Craig is 5'9 but I am being generous by saying he is 5'10 at most.

Edited by Stratus, 21 November 2005 - 01:43 AM.

#25 Eye Of The Tiger

Eye Of The Tiger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:03 AM

Funny thing is that EON supposedly said that Ewan McGregor was too short for Bond. And yet Daniel Craig is barely any taller than McGregor, if at all.

I was and still am very much against Ewan McGregor being James Bond. But still, if EON are going to say that McGregor is too short for Bond, then how can they be so hypocritical as to hire someone who is barely any taller than McGregor :D :tup:

#26 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:17 AM

Funny thing is that EON supposedly said that Ewan McGregor was too short for Bond. And yet Daniel Craig is barely any taller than McGregor, if at all.

Oh I must've missed that press report. When did they release it?

His height isn't a big deal. If he looks small camera angles will help him, no big deal.

#27 Eye Of The Tiger

Eye Of The Tiger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:55 AM

Oh I must've missed that press report. When did they release it?

His height isn't a big deal. If he looks small camera angles will help him, no big deal.

Well, I said that EON SUPPOSEDLY said that about Ewan McGregor being too short. I did NOT state that it is a fact that they said it. But there have been numerous reports that EON alegedly said that McGregor was too short.

And in this case I was not criticizing Daniel Craig, I was simply pointing out EON's hypocrisy.

#28 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:19 PM

http://www.allmoviep...ethpaltrow.html

Paltrow is listed as 5'10 here.

Posted Image

Colm Meaney on the right is 5'11, George Harris (the black guy on the futher right) is 6'3

We could go on like this forever.

Again, also, it doesn't matter! It' a FILM, if he needs to be made to look an inch or two taller that's no problem at all.

Edited by Leon, 21 November 2005 - 01:27 PM.

#29 Stratus

Stratus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

http://www.allmoviep...ethpaltrow.html

Paltrow is listed as 5'10 here.

Posted Image

Colm Meaney on the right is 5'11, George Harris (the black guy on the futher right) is 6'3

We could go on like this forever.

Again, also, it doesn't matter! It' a FILM, if he needs to be made to look an inch or two taller that's no problem at all.

Please, you don't even know if Colm Meaney is actually 5'11. Half the time in Layer Cake there is a lot of different Camera angles in it (stylistic purposes). Are you going to easily discount the pictures I posted because it does not suit your beliefs?

Snapping info off a random site that says she is 5'10 means jack squat - how about providing some level of photographic evidence like I did (i.e. head to toe). That very same site says Jude Law is 5'11 despite the fact he explicitly stated publically he is 5'9 - I guess that tells you something doesn't it? Your picture does not include Craig from head to toe in a straight stance without a camera angle (a type of problem you yourself pointed out). THEN you on to say "it's a film it doesn't matter" to quickly change the flow of conversation.

You are right, it could go on forever, only if you provide some substantial evidence to begin with to counter me. Craig is 5'9-5'10. You deal with that and admit it and I will happily move along. I never said there was anything wrong with it either.

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

Be he tall or short, Craig is a splendid choice for Bond. Accept no substitutes. :tup:

Besides, even if he met the Bond fans' regulation height, I somehow doubt that his detractors would suddenly change their minds on him.