955 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:50 AM

My dear friend Alessandra, and myself, have taken it upon ourselves to initiate this new thread, so that we may present to the members and guests of CBn the viewpoint of females upon the subject of James Bond.

Our intent is not at all to be exclusionary, abrasive, or irritating in any way whatsoever. However, in chatting together (as females so often do!) over the past several days, Ale and I felt that our views

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:54 AM

"Never argue with a woman...They're always right." - TND

That being said, carry on ladies. :)

#3 Atticus17F

Atticus17F

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:55 AM

Blimey. It must be a bloody good thread if it warrants its own announcement.

:)

#4 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:01 AM

"Never argue with a woman...They're always right." - TND

That being said, carry on ladies. :)

View Post

Thank you, Bryce (003), for your good wishes . . .

. . . and . . . we are! :)

#5 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:06 AM

Blimey. It must be a bloody good thread if it warrants its own announcement.

View Post

Thank you, too, Atticus17F, for taking the time to reply! Most appreciated!

Well . . .one never knows how good any new concept will ultimately turn out, but, we promise you that we will try our best to make it interesting, well-informed, provocative, and enjoyable -- just like any female should be! :)

Meanwhile, the thread has been posted for a grand total of 14 minutes, and it has already had two replies, and 41 views, which is not bad, if one remembers that there are only nine members on line, and one of them is myself!

Or else you guys have nothing better to do!

#6 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:08 AM

Whooooops!

57 views!

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:09 AM

You're most welcome luv.

Here's some ammo for you ladies although it may be the obvious given the new 007.

A number of ladies I know have been more vocal about Craig and seem to be going both extremes - He's either repulsive or devistatingly handsome. Your thoughts either way?

He appears to fit the bill for my two cents, but it's really up to the ladies. Bond has to be who every man wants to be and every woman just wants. On the up side, hey, he looks like another spy we all know and love around here *cough*

*ahem* see attached. :)

On the down side, several ladies I know have no interest in ever seeing a Bond film again with him in the role.

So dish and spill ladies. None of the aforementioned ladies are Bond fans, so let's hear from the experts.

Not a challenge, just curious.

Attached Files

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:13 AM

Use your opportunity to make a better fist of representing female Bond fans than you have thus far. Odds-on this turns into yet more anti-Craig pus.

#9 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:21 AM

You're most welcome luv.

Here's some ammo for you ladies although it may be the obvious given the new 007.

A number of ladies I know have been more vocal about Craig and seem to be going both extremes - He's either repulsive or devistatingly handsome. Your thoughts either way?

He appears to fit the bill for my two cents, but it's really up to the ladies. Bond has to be who every man wants to be and every woman just wants. On the up side, hey, he looks like another spy we all know and love around here *cough*

*ahem* see attached. :)

On the down side, several ladies I know have no interest in ever seeing a Bond film again with him in the role.

So dish and spill ladies. None of the aforementioned ladies are Bond fans, so let's here from the experts.

Not a challenge, just curious.

View Post

First question, Bryce (003): Is that you????

Whoever is the man in the photograph, I must say, without prejudice, that he fits my personal image of Bond much more than does the new wearer of the crown.

Is Daniel Craig my premier choice for the role? No -- as you can tell by my code-name, he is not. I am a diehard Daltonite, for many, many reasons; the chief one being Timothy Dalton's devastating good looks; if you wish, I can post a number of links which will verify my statement, if such verification is required.

Second: do I think Craig is repulsive? Again -- no. (That reply will stun 23 members of my personal e-mail list!) Seriously -- no, I don't. I must be honest and say that while Craig is by no means my idea of handsome, I have seen him act. He is unquestionably a fine actor.And, while I was watching the movie, I must confess that I thought to myself: there is something about this guy. He's not handsome, but there is definitely something about him.

Only a fool would fall in love with someone based solely on their looks -- as my mother has always said, "they're only going to get worse!"

Next: do I feel he is James Bond?

Again -- no.

The package -- notwithstanding Craig's excellent talent, acting abilities, and looks -- which can be attractive, as witness the official CR promotional poster -- just, somehow, is not complete.

I hate to have to say it, but, in my humble opinion, Craig is just lacking in the departments of class -- and it.

Again -- no.

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:29 AM

First question, Bryce (003):  Is that you????

Whoever is the man in the photograph, I must say, without prejudice, that he fits my personal image of Bond much more than does the new wearer of the crown.

View Post

Indeed it is me. No photoshop, just good lighting, the right tux and a smoke.

OK...Now I'm blushing....That'll feed the ego for another month.

I respect your response though on the matter at hand and my original question.

Again, carry on ladies.

*goes to make "ego charged" martini*

#11 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:34 AM

Use your opportunity to make a better fist of representing female Bond fans than you have thus far. Odds-on this turns into yet more anti-Craig pus.

View Post

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Jim. I don't feel that your statement is fair, nor is it conducive to a pleasant reply. Nevertheless, I think I can understand the stance behind your remark, and, being a member of CBn of infinitely newer standing than you, I will sincerely try my best to reply to you in as affable a manner as is possible.

Please bear in mind that newcomers are the blood of life, not only to any forum of public discussion, but also to any institution. Certainly, newborns make mistakes, but they must be nurtured.

Given the fact that I made my entry into this forum in a topic that could be considered, to some extent, hostile (although, in my opinion, a large part of it was simply fun -- after all, we are discussing neither wars, nor earthquakes, nor floods), I have made other attempts, since that time, to show that I can act as a rational individual. If you wish, I will happily list those posts; all were entirely objective and well-informed.

Just as I pulled back some of my disappointment on the choice of the new Bond, and attempted to look at the overall picture in an unbiased manner, I am hoping that you will do the same with our thread.

#12 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:42 AM

[quote name='Bryce (003)' date='19 October 2005 - 01:29'][quote name='Dalton's Wendy' date='18 October 2005 - 22:21']First question, Bryce (003):

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:46 AM

View Post

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Jim. I don't feel that your statement is fair, nor is it conducive to a pleasant reply. Nevertheless, I think I can understand the stance behind your remark, and, being a member of CBn of infinitely newer standing than you, I will sincerely try my best to reply to you in as affable a manner as is possible.

Please bear in mind that newcomers are the blood of life, not only to any forum of public discussion, but also to any institution. Certainly, newborns make mistakes, but they must be nurtured.

Given the fact that I made my entry into this forum in a topic that could be considered, to some extent, hostile (although, in my opinion, a large part of it was simply fun -- after all, we are discussing neither wars, nor earthquakes, nor floods), I have made other attempts, since that time, to show that I can act as a rational individual. If you wish, I will happily list those posts; all were entirely objective and well-informed.

Just as I pulled back some of my disappointment on the choice of the new Bond, and attempted to look at the overall picture in an unbiased manner, I am hoping that you will do the same with our thread.

View Post

I shall attempt to, but I cannot promise.

As for "fair", nobody voted for CBn, nobody pays to be here, we are not a system of government or represent that this is a democracy. I'm not sure where the perception of fairness arises, but it is misguided. You can hurl Voltaire about as much as you wish, but it's not an appropriate quote.

I just wonder whether given the opportunity to discuss James Bond, which has been kicking around for longer than Daniel Craig has been James Bond, whether you have anything to say about James Bond? There's plenty of material (I wouldn't wish to force your hand into discussing any particular topic) and it's very depressing that you've got the chance to do something different and it's turned into the same old same old, yet again.

I fear that this has underestimated and seriously misrepresented the interest in James Bond of female Bond fans.

Do you really have anything else to discuss, that doesn't mean ventilating your (doubtless sincere) views about Mr Craig? This could get very boring very quickly. Express your views by all mean, but have you any others? Call it a little challenge.

#14 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:01 AM

View Post

View Post

I shall attempt to, but I cannot promise.

As for "fair", nobody voted for CBn, nobody pays to be here, we are not a system of government or represent that this is a democracy. I'm not sure where the perception of fairness arises, but it is misguided. You can hurl Voltaire about as much as you wish, but it's not an approrpiate quote.

I just wonder whether given the opportunity to discuss James Bond, which has been kicking around for longer than Daniel Craig has been James Bond, whether you have anything to say about James Bond? There's plenty of material (I wouldn't wish to force your hand into discussing any particular topic) and it's very depressing that you've got the chance to do something different and it's turned into the same old same old, yet again.

Do you really have anything else to discuss, that doesn't mean ventilating your (doubtless sincere) views about Mr Craig? This could get very boring very quickly. Express your views by all mean, but have you any others? Call it a little challenge.

View Post

Yes, I do have other views on Bond, as well as views which are rather experienced in the world of business, publicity, and public relations.

My experience with Bond is largely confined to Timothy Dalton and Sean Connery as Bond, but I think I can handle my own in a discussion on both of their performances. True, I may not know as much details or trivia as the most loyal Bond-izen; nevertheless, not everyone who buys a ticket to a Bond film does. You, as an extremely knowledgeable and long-standing fan, would, no doubt, destroy me in a contest. Yet, at the same time, you must bear in mind that there are more of the movie-going public who are at my level than there are at yours. If you truly want the next Bond movie to succeed, then you must also listen to the point of view of my side -- there are more of "me" than there are of "you". Without "my" side, "your" side may not live to see another Bond film.

I have seen the figures recently released by Sony, those which were quoted elsewhere here, the other day. Additionally, I have seen the NET figures from that same report -- and, as a businessperson, I can tell you that if I were to receive a return of less than 4%, as Sony/Eon did from its last Bond outing, I don't think I'd bother waking up in the morning -- I would just invest my money in good old Beverly Hills real estate.

My point is that everyone (producers, financiers, Bond-experts) involved must listen to the opinion of everyone else (females, idiots, know-nothings) in order that all may achieve a happy result.

As for my reference to Voltaire: I have always hurled both his name, and his maxim, about, because I feel that, otherwise, I, and other newcomers, might be shouted down and suppressed by dogmatists.

By the way: I have gone to great extent not to turn this thread into what you refer to as the same old. Perhaps, my friend, you are the one who is doing that.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:02 AM

Perhaps posing a question our fine female members is the best way to kick off this thread (which I do think is a good idea). Let's stay away from Craig for the moment (please), and instead ask which Bond or which Bond film is the film that made you a fan? A female Bond fan is a unique creature and I'm always interested in knowing how she caught what is a traditionally male illness. :)

#16 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:15 AM

Yes, I do have other views on Bond, as well as views which are rather experienced in the world of business, publicity, and public relations.

View Post

Splendid. Therefore you'll appreciate my concern that creating a thread with such a title appears to ghetto-ise certain areas of the fanbase, when this is intended to be an inclusive place anonymous of gender, race, sexuality etc., and in that ghetto, the first post is about a man's looks and demeanour.

There's a whiff of CBn being seen to endorse a thread for the little women to discuss ladies' things and look! we've given you the first subject, namely "Daniel Craig - no!"

New member or not, as a particularly visible new member you carry as much responsiility as we do that we are not seen to discriminate. This is why we've generally put everyone together - females, idiots, know -nothings (sic) - and have no desire to distinguish between anyone - we're all only so much typing around here.

Your view is lucid, but increasingly familiar. Is there anything else? Are you doing a "fair" job of representing the "female Bond fan" (or "Bond fan")? Please give our female members - and all our members - the credit that there's more to discuss. Please. I wouldn't want you or any member to be seen as trying to ghetto people off into preconceptions of their interest in James Bond.

#17 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:22 AM

Perhaps posing a question our fine female members is the best way to kick off this thread (which I do think is a good idea). Let's stay away from Craig for the moment (please), and instead ask which Bond or which Bond film is the film that made you a fan? A female Bond fan is a unique creature and I'm always interested in knowing how she caught what is a traditionally male illness. :)

View Post

Great idea, Zencat!

Despite my choice of code-name, my first Bond film was Goldfinger. I was fortunate enough to see it in a movie theatre several years ago. This was a wonderful experience, because, not only did it give me the opportunity to have my first meeting with Bond on a wide screen, but I also was lucky enough to experience the scene surrounding the ending of the movie:

It was Spring break, and the theatre was packed. I remember the closing credits rolling down the screen: (words quoted to the best of my remembrance)

The End

of

GOLDFINGER

But

James Bond

Will Be back

In

THUNDERBALL

Coming soon!

and these words set the entire mob of us slavering, sex-starved adolescents to wildly whistling, cheering, and stamping our feet -- even though this was a closing trailer from 30 years before.

Now . . . any movie that can evoke that kind of response is worth something in my book!

#18 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:29 AM

View Post

Splendid. Therefore you'll appreciate my concern that creating a thread with such a title appears to ghetto-ise certain areas of the fanbase, when this is intended to be an inclusive place anonymous of gender, race, sexuality etc., and in that ghetto, the first post is about a man's looks and demeanour.

There's a whiff of CBn being seen to endorse a thread for the little women to discuss ladies' things and look! we've given you the first subject, namely "Daniel Craig - no!"

New member or not, as a particularly visible new member you carry as much responsiility as we do that we are not seen to discriminate. This is why we've generally put everyone together - females, idiots, know -nothings (sic) - and have no desire to distinguish between anyone - we're all only so much typing around here.

Your view is lucid, but increasingly familiar. Is there anything else? Are you doing a "fair" job of representing the "female Bond fan" (or "Bond fan")? Please give our female members - and all our members - the credit that there's more to discuss. Please. I wouldn't want you or any member to be seen as trying to ghetto people off into preconceptions of their interest in James Bond.

View Post

I have just read over my initial posting, and nowhere therein do I see any reference whatsoever to a man's looks or demeanour.

Please enlighten me.

#19 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:35 AM

Now . . . any movie that can evoke that kind of response is worth something in my book!

View Post

Excellent! Many of us fell in love with Bond from Goldfinger....and who wouldn't. Great you saw it on the big screen.

Hey, it hooked a young Pierce Brosnan. Look how it worked out for him.

*ducks arrows and boulders from Jim*

Figureatively speaking of course.

*ahem*

*straightens tie*

*runs*

#20 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:37 AM

Hey DW!.

I can confirm ( as I've now met the man ) that Bryce(003) IS James Bond 007.

He's cool, debonair, suave and a totally cool guy. :)

Can I pose a question to you lasses?.

From a female POV, what really attracts you to this character?. Also, did you read the novels first, or see the films?.

I know none of you were born in th 1950's :) but it would be interesting to know what got you 'hooked'.

Cheers,

Ian

#21 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:42 AM

He's cool, debonair, suave and a totally cool guy.  :)

View Post

*pulls out check book*

"Pay to the order of: Bondian..."

It'll go in the post tomorrow.

#22 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:42 AM

View Post

Excellent! Many of us fell in love with Bond from Goldfinger....and who wouldn't. Great you saw it on the big screen.

Hey, it hooked a young Pierce Brosnan. Look how it worked out for him.

*ducks arrows and boulders from Jim*

Figureatively speaking of course.

*ahem*

*straightens tie*

*runs*

View Post

Thank you again, Bryce (003)!

The lovely coda which I must add to the Goldfinger story is that, some years after the fact, I met, and had cocktails with, Sean Connery!

But that, as they say, is another story -- you'll have to go to JAMES BOND AND BEYOND to read it!

JIM will doubtless accuse me of some ulterior motice for this comment, but . . .

#23 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:48 AM

[quote name='Bryce (003)' date='19 October 2005 - 07:42'][quote name='Bondian' date='18 October 2005 - 23:37']I can confirm ( as I've now met the man ) that Bryce(003) IS James Bond 007.

He's cool, debonair, suave and a totally cool guy.

#24 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:50 AM

[quote name='Bondian' date='19 October 2005 - 02:37']Hey DW!.

He's cool, debonair, suave and a totally cool guy.

Edited by Dalton's Wendy, 19 October 2005 - 06:52 AM.

#25 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

LOL you quoted yourself my dear. :)

[quote name='Dalton's Wendy' date='19 October 2005 - 07:50']Hi, Bondian!

#26 Dalton's Wendy

Dalton's Wendy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:00 AM

[quote name='Bondian' date='19 October 2005 - 02:55']LOL you quoted yourself my dear.  :)

[quote name='Dalton's Wendy' date='19 October 2005 - 07:50']Hi, Bondian!

#27 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:12 AM

1.  YES!

2.  Which chappie from MKKBB?  Not Shrubs, is it?

"Section 26, paragraph 5...sorry, need to know. I'm sure you'll understand!". :)

3.  No-o-o-o-o . . . I would be SIR SEAN CONNERY'S WENDY -- as you know! (might change, too -- I do like the idea of being LADY SSC's WENDY!)

LOL

4.  WHO is George?

View Post

Autopilot. :)

We had one guest online the last time I checked. :)

#28 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:17 AM

I have just read over my initial posting, and nowhere therein do I see any reference whatsoever to a man's looks or demeanour.

Please enlighten me.

View Post

Second post then. Silly me, I was rendered bored; such a scatterbrain.

Enlightened?

Thanks for the post about Goldfinger.

#29 Eye Of The Tiger

Eye Of The Tiger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:21 AM

So I just turned on TV-Land expecting to see Cheers, but instead it's some list of the top ten "Sexiest Men."

I've watched the top ten Sexiest Women list before, but since I have this on in the background I have been listening to it a little bit while I surf the web.

Anyway, they are asking female celebs who they think the "sexiest men" are, and right off the bat one of the women said Pierce Brosnan.

Which got me to thinking that 5 or 10 years from now you will never be hearing any female celebs naming Daniel Craig as being one of the ten "sexiest men."

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:23 AM

Ah, thank you Eye of the Tiger for not letting us go a full page without a cheap Craig bash. :)

I'm still waiting on this thread to deliever on the promise of providing a "female viewpoint" on Bond. Come on ladies, you must be out there.