This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Did anyone else notice a weird difficulty spike?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:25 AM

Picked up the Xbox version of EoN a little while ago, mostly in preparation for the release of FRWL. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it seems...unbalanced, as far as difficulty is concerned.

Playing on Operative (I start all games on a lower level and work my way up the more I play through it), I blew through the first couple of missions first or second try, until I hit Faded Splendor. Holy crap! There's no ammo or armor anywhere, there's too many guards, and I think I just got punched to death! I forget it's name, but the level after seems to be just as hard so far.

Did anyone else have this problem, or am I just really bad at this game all of a sudden?

#2 Darksideoftheschwartz

Darksideoftheschwartz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:55 PM

Is that the one where you sneak inside Yayakov's mansion?

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:03 PM

[mra]It

#4 Darksideoftheschwartz

Darksideoftheschwartz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:08 PM

Another one you might have trouble with is the level where you have to sneak in to the one place and sneak into a racecar driver's room and switch places with him. You have to sneak in without being noticed, and if you kill someone with a gun you fail the mission. The only things you can do is knock them out with hand to hand combat or use your sleeper dart gun.

#5 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

I always play games on their easiest difficulty first time around and I noticed that the last level seemed almost impossible (mainly because of the big storage-like room with the rocket-launcher guy at the beginning) compared to the levels before it. I would say I spent roughly 1/3 of my time beating the final level the first time through the game.

#6 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

Another one you might have trouble with is the level where you have to sneak in to the one place and sneak into a racecar driver's room and switch places with him. You have to sneak in without being noticed, and if you kill someone with a gun you fail the mission. The only things you can do is knock them out with hand to hand combat or use your sleeper dart gun.

View Post

Yeah, I'm at the last level right now, and I can tell you that one level gave me more trouble than any of the rest of the game. Luckily, FRWL was pretty easy, so that made me feel better about the whole thing. :tup:

#7 007NC

007NC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:17 AM

Actually, it only took me two trys on the mansion level, then the one after with the death of the claw dude (name escapes me now) and the bridge I beat first try.

#8 The Beast

The Beast

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

The game's hard, but you know what I like about it? When you chose 00-agent, enemies don't get any harder to kill, or you any easier to kill. Enemy becomes smarter. They avoid your attacks, runs from rockets and from grenades. You FEEL challenge and it's up to you to defeat those bastards. Real smart bastards... Btw, Faded Splendor is my favorite mission.

#9 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

I know exactly what you mean, Flash. Goldeneye: Rogue Agent for the PS2 is just like that. Call me old fashioned, but I grew up to games like Wolf3d, and the original DooMs, where you look at the harder maps, and there are more enemies as it gets harder, so I go into a game looking forward to that. Also, I start at the easiest difficulty as well. I know people who straight to Hard, Maximum, Terror, whatever, but I don't

#10 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

The 'Ruins' level just pisses me of to no end. If there's any spike in difficulty, it's here. It's on this level that I realized just how awkward the control system is. I'm usually great at 3rd person reconaissance/mission-based games like this, but time and time again, I cannot get used to the awful control. The MGS games are infinitely better at arming different weapons and aiming and handle the stealth aspect much better as well. And you feel a greater sense of payoff.

I know, I "just don't get it," but I'm not enthralled with the game. I hope the future Bond games fare better than EA's collection.

#11 TonicBH

TonicBH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:31 AM

The last level ("Everything or Nothing", natch) is a bitch to play, even on Operative.

Never did beat the game, sadly.

#12 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:48 AM

The last level ("Everything or Nothing", natch) is a bitch to play, even on Operative.

Never did beat the game, sadly.

The big warehouse? I found that to be quite difficult as well, but once you get through that it is cake. Diavolo is one of the easiest final boss fights I've seen.

#13 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Yes some levels in particular are quite difficult indeed. Yet the gratification when these levels have been passed is well worth it - as are the rewards.