6 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

I started watching For Your Eyes Only tonight. Now I'm wondering why Bibi Dahl isn't Greek like her uncle, Aris Kristatos. I assume she's an American. Does anybody know her nationality and/or her specific relation to Kristatos? My guess is that Kristatos' brother-in-law or sister-in-law is from the United States of America.

#2 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:37 AM

I was always under the impression that he wasn't her real uncle, but she just called him that because he was her sponsor. I believe that Dahl is a German name, so she might come from German ancestory, but was raised in America.

#3 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

I was always under the impression that he wasn't her real uncle, but she just called him that because he was her sponsor. I believe that Dahl is a German name, so she might come from German ancestory, but was raised in America.

View Post

That makes sense. Thanks.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:19 PM

You can't get any more lilly-white, all-American than Bibi Dahl is. She's an American all the way.

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

Never thought that Bibi was meant to be German. On the other hand, Eric Kriegler is German, and Jacoba Brink could be as well, so there may be something to it. But I'm sure they would have made it more obvious, at least with a minor accent.

As for Dahl being a German name, yes maybe, but then again, YOLT writer Roald Dahl is as British as can be...

#6 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

I agree that "uncle" was an endearing term, rather than an actual relation.

And I also think that "Dahl" was chosen to give her a Bond girl type name, that if pronounced quickly - sounds like "baby doll" or "Barbie doll", which she certainly looks like.

#7 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:59 PM

Roald's parents were Norwegian. They moved to Wales where he was born.

p.s. You guys mean to tell me that Domino wasn't really Largo's niece? It was just an endearing term? Well that changes everything!

Edited by Donovan, 15 August 2005 - 05:01 PM.