3181 replies to this topic

#1 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:17 AM

I'm soooo ready for Football season...it's the only thing to look forward to this fall since Bond is late...again( :) ).

I'm from San Diego so naturally my team is the long suffering Chargers. I really think they will win the big one this year...silly but hey, why root if ya don't believe? :) I don't see New England winning it again this year and the Colts always find a way to tank if they play outdoors in cold weather(The KC game they won in '03 was in the '50sF). My only concern for the Chargers is our Head coach is a classic big game choker but since they didn't lose any key players in the offseason and improved their Defense in the draft I'm gonna go with my Bolts.

San Diego over Atlanta :) :)

The battle of the 2001 NFL draft trade between San Diego and Atlanta:Vick for Tomlinson, Drew Brees. I'll take a top pair over an Ace any day. :)

Your thoughts?

Where are you Mr. The Dove? I know you love your Broncos but as long as Jake Plummer is the QB expect big plays, comebacks and huge mistakes :) . I just hope we don't send Philip Rivers to Denver in '06. :)

#2 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:44 AM

Supposing Brian Westbrook comes to camp and plays, and T.O.continues to play "unhappy" and stays aboard. If they do, I have the Eagles in the Super Bowl (of course) against San Diego. Philly still has an incredibly dangerous offense, and a super defense. All of that, and the NFC East is still really, really bad.

Vick is not a good enough passer to ever be great as a quarterback and will probably never lead Atlanta to the Lombardi trophy.

New England might still surprise people, but losing Romeo Cromell and Charlie Weiss makes it difficult.

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:02 PM

Vick had a mediocre season last year and still took them to the NFC championship game....If he improves his game just 15% better and they've helped themselves in the draft, OS I think they have a shot. I think T.O. is a cancer, btw. I'd rather have Randy Moss anyday of the week.But he is good, I'll give him that and I think the Eagles are a strong contender again, definitely.Although I think the NFC east is stronger. New York and Dallas will be better. I just don't get the Redskins' choice to draft a QB again and not develop their guy Ramsey...

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Turn is ready for some football. :) I'll be watching the Dolphins-Bears tonight.

I don't know if I wanna' level a Super Bowl prediction right now, but I will express concern that some people are touting my Cincinnati Bengals as one of the top eight returning teams in the NFL. After 15 straight seasons out of the playoffs, I just can't stomach that kind of pressure at this point. I just want to be hopeful and hope nobody else gets injured.

I will make a baseball prection based on watching St. Louis's David Eckstein crack a walk-off grand slam homer on ESPN's highlights at lunchtime. St. Louis all the way. Last year I thought they were just lucky to be there. Based on that, it tells me they are the best rounded team out there right now. Their only problem is peaking too early.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

I think teams like the Bengals only will help my Chargers...Like the chinese fighting fish... :) beating Pittsburg and NE for us allowing SD in the door...I also think Jax and Houston will be better.

#6 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:56 PM

To quote Hank Williams Jr, " Are you ready for some football?!!!" Oh boy I'm getting psyched!! Lets go Broncos!! Looking forward to watching the Hall of Fame game tonight between Miami and Chicago. Great induction ceremony yesterday. It was really, really touching that both Marino and Young sent their thoughts and prayers to Jim Kelly and his family who tragically lost their 8 year old son, Hunter to Krabbe disease on Friday. So sad! Hey Tarl, looking forward to Week 2 of the regular season?? Chargers and Broncos!!

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

Yes ofcourse but how about a SB matchup prediction? Denver vs ? :)

#8 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:33 PM

I used to always say that this is the year for the Aints to become a team and win the Super Bowl. This is not the year. But I will go with some teams that will be in the hunt for the Super Bowl.

AFC-Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Raiders, Ravens

NFC-Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys, Packers, Vikings

Sleepers:

AFC-Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders(who do you cover on this team?), Bengals

NFC-Cardinals, Buccaneers

Again, just the teams that I think will do well this year. It sucks being a Aints fan, though. Thank God for LSU football!

#9 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:50 PM

I'm predicting my J-E-T-S to finally conquer the pats this year. Finally got a good offensive coordinator who likes to take risks, and hopefully chad stays healthy and of course we have a top rb in curtis martin. On defense we got young hard hitting linebackers (vilma) and linemen (robertson, abraham, ellis) and the secondary was shaky until today cause the jets just signed TY LAW........SUPERBOWL here we come

#10 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 07:52 PM

New England might still surprise people, but losing Romeo Cromell and Charlie Weiss makes it difficult.

View Post

AND Ty Law! Insane. I think this season is wide open. Philly certainly has to be a favorite in the lowly NFC. And I suppose the Colts in the AFC, although I think they have some self-doubting issues to overcome. I'm not sure Tony Dungy is a championship-calibre coach...I still think of the Bucs when Chucky came in and coached Dungy's team to a huge Superbowl victory.

But I like Atlanta as well. Vick is dangerous, and young Coach Mora knows how to guide a winning team. I'm still amazed that the Vikings let Moss go. I think they set their successful season hopes back by five years. In spite of his weirdness, Moss was a valuable threat for the offense. You just never dared to leave him alone. I'm not sure who's going to be passing to him in Oakland as Gannon is retiring.

But yes, I am really looking forward to football season, both pro and college.

#11 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

This just in: Eagles lost thier #2 Wr Todd Pinktston for the year...ouch.

#12 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

This just in: Eagles lost thier #2 Wr Todd Pinktston for the year...ouch.

View Post

Puts even more pressure on T.O. to swallow his ego once and for all.

#13 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:12 PM

I'm predicting my J-E-T-S to finally conquer the pats this year. Finally got a good offensive coordinator who likes to take risks, and hopefully chad stays healthy and of course we have a top rb in curtis martin. On defense we got young hard hitting linebackers (vilma) and linemen (robertson, abraham, ellis) and the secondary was shaky until today cause the jets just signed TY LAW........SUPERBOWL here we come

View Post

That's a great pic, even if it's like mine,ie a homer choice :) ....Chad P is a excellent QB. :) :)

#14 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

Where are you Mr. The Dove? I know you love your Broncos but as long as Jake Plummer is the QB expect big plays, comebacks and huge mistakes :) . I just hope we don't send Philip Rivers to Denver in '06.  :)

View Post

Ha Ha.. Tarl!! :) Well since it seems like Drew Brees is doing just fine for your Chargers!! So maybe Phillip Rivers might be good for Denver, since it doesn't appear that he'll get much playing time in San Diego! lol... Well as for Plummer, he has his moments, both good and bad (something we had to endure with Brian Griese too!) Well, we have a very capable backup this year in Bradlee Van Pelt (former Colorado State QB who was great!) *cough! need i remind you of a certain Charger QB Ryan Leaf? * cough! lol.... :)

As for my Super Bowl predictions, still way too early, and of course I'll be changing my opinion as the season goes on, but just on a wild guess I'll say Pittsburgh over Atlanta.

#15 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:26 PM

I will make a baseball prection based on watching St. Louis's David Eckstein crack a walk-off grand slam homer on ESPN's highlights at lunchtime. St. Louis all the way.

View Post

*ooooof* :)

I was about ready to throw the TV out the window watching that!

But you're right, the Cardinal's offense and pitching are just too good for any National League team to match. Although, when the Braves are healthy with Chipper in the lineup, and Hampton, and Thompson in the rotation, they are and should be tough to beat.

Now is the part of the season where the Phillies just faaaaaaaaaade away. :) Glad they got rid of Bowa, now it's time to get rid of Ed Wade!

Back to football...

T.O. is not yet a cancer here in Philadelphia. I think many do not understand his attempt to improve his $44 Million contract. Contrary to what he claims, he doesn't have a family to support (no wife and kids). His mother has Alzheimers, but certainly he can afford treatment on the 7-8 million he makes per season, and his lavish signing bonuses. He certainly did not help his image by passing on the autograph session. I think many are willing to hate his personality, but still give him credit for being a tremendous wide receiver and keep him around for it.

Todd Pinkston's injury is not very significant in terms of the offense's capability. He was rarely thrown to (no hands!). They have Terrell Owens, Chad Lewis and their new rookie to throw to. Brian Westbrook is in camp (fined $42,000 for holding out last week), and he's the most dangerous guy on this team, and perhaps the league.

All that being said, we're still going to choke in Super Bowl no matter who we play!

#16 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:27 PM

I'm not picking Pittsburg because they lost Plaxico Burress. Hienz Ward is still great but I like SD. I think the bengals will screw things up for PB, helping my SD get home field(hopefully not in a rain storm! :) ).

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

A ?oting for the Eagles in the NFC and the Ravens in the AFC...

Whats more interesting is the NHL. After the lack of a season last year (due to the shutout) it will be interesting to see how things fare with players having a whole year to unwind.

#18 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:41 PM

Yes its nice to have the NHL back, though I'm still pissed about my Avalanche letting Peter Forsberg and Adam Foote sign with other teams :) . However, its all about the NFL right now! If my Broncos don't do well this year, i would really love to see one of the long suffering teams (ie. Bengals, Saints, Cardinals, Lions or Bears) go far and bring their fans some cheer!

#19 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:44 PM

AFC west: San Diego
* KC chiefs

AFC East:NE Patriots
*NY Jets

AFC north:Pittsburg
*Bengals

AFC South: Colts
*Jax Jags

NFC west:Arizon Cardinals(surprise!)
*Rams

NFC East:NY Giants(surprise!)
*Dallas :)

NFC North:Packers
Vikings

NFC south:Panthers
Bucs

#20 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

[quote name='The Dove' date='8 August 2005 - 14:21']
[quote name='Tarl_Cabot' date='7 August 2005 - 22:17']
*cough! need i remind you of a certain Charger QB Ryan Leaf? * cough! lol.... :)

View Post

[/quote]

*runs to toilet and has violent...reaction* :) :)

But we have 2 QBs that are good now... :)

#21 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

LOL...!!! Well thats true.. you guys have done alright with quarterbacks. At least neither your Chargers or my Broncos had to endure that fiasco with Ricky Williams! How long do you think he'll stick around for Miami this time, Tarl?

#22 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:02 PM

They will trade him to...somewhere. I think he's perfect for the Niners.Just has that tofu culture down pat.He would help Alex Smith out for sure... :)

#23 Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:20 PM

Packers dethrone Patriots in Super Bowl XL.

Repeat of SB XXXI. Favre reigns supreme again and calls it a career.

#24 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:17 AM

Here We GO STEELERS!

We won't be 15-1 and but we will conquer New England this year and play the Falcons in the SuperBowl. Of course, culminating in victory!

#25 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:56 AM

As much as I'd like to see my Jets in the Super Bowl, I think that Super Bowl XL will be between the Steelers and the Vikings.

Also, I hate to say it, but I don't even think that the Jets have much of a chance to even make the playoffs. Too much uncertainty and losses on the offensive side of the ball (new coordinator, loss of LaMont Jordan to Oakland, etc.) and a weak D-line (Abraham holding out and the loss of Ferguson to Dallas) will make the Jets no better than a 9-7 team, although I think that 8-8 or 7-9 is a more realistic prediction for the Jets, although I hope that I'm wrong.

#26 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:57 AM

Packers dethrone Patriots in Super Bowl XL.

Repeat of SB XXXI. Favre reigns supreme again and calls it a career.

View Post

Hard to do without Bledsoe's three Ints. :)

#27 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:08 AM

As much as I'd like to see my Jets in the Super Bowl, I think that Super Bowl XL will be between the Steelers and the Vikings.

View Post

You realize that Moss is gone from the Vikings, right? And that Philly is in the NFC?

#28 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:21 AM

View Post

You realize that Moss is gone from the Vikings, right? And that Philly is in the NFC?

View Post

Philly? Sorry to say it but Donovan is on Madden this year! You know what that means, don't you? :)

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:37 PM

LOL...Yeah you must be forgetting about that new expansion team - the Philadelphia Steelers. j/k. Hopefully the fans in PA will be able to distinguish them from the already established Pittsburg Steelers. :)

I would like to see the Vikings in the Superbowl but I don't see that happening - ever. :)

#30 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:19 PM

View Post

View Post

Yes, I realize that Moss is gone, and I think that's a big reason why they will get to the Super Bowl. They're offense will still be very good without Moss and there will be far fewer distractions with him gone. The defense is vastly improved from last year, and could potentially be one of the best in the league. Also, the NFC is just flat out terrible again, especially the NFC North, and add to that the situation in Philadelphia with an unhappy T.O. who may or may not give the Eagles his best effort and the fact that Pinkston is out for the season, which means that an inexperienced player will be at the other wideout for the Eagles. Atlanta won't make it very far because Vick still doesn't know how to pass the ball effectively.

If the NFC East wasn't as bad a division as it is, then I would be inclined to think that Philly would have to fight just to make the playoffs, but since none of the other three teams will reach the 9-7 mark, the Eagles will just make the playoffs by default. I do think that Minnesota has the best overall team in the NFC at the moment, and no, I'm not a Vikings fan. Never have been, and never will be.

Edited by tdalton, 09 August 2005 - 02:20 PM.