36 replies to this topic

#1 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

If there is discussion about a black Bond, it is only fair that Chinese Bonds are also considered - that is, unless blacks have more acceptability as Bond than Chinese. Now I'm sure that others will agree this isn't the case, so why not a Chinese or at least Oriental Bond? Fair is fair, right?

So which Oriental actors could be considered for the role?

How about Russell Wong?

Posted Image

Posted Image

He could be about the right age and speaks English well, and would look good in a tux. The question is whether Bond actually needs to be fluent in English or would he be just as acceptable if he has a strong Chinese accent or can't speak English at all? Would it be a bad thing if Bond movies have subtitles? After all, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a subtitled movie but did exceptionally well at the box office, even picking up an Oscar.

Perhaps even Ang Lee could direct Bond?

What do people think?

Edited by Welshcat, 25 July 2005 - 10:44 PM.

#2 ES Blofeld

ES Blofeld

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:40 PM

Perhaps:
Posted Image

But it mostly depends if he can act the art. :)

#3 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:41 PM

I'm still up for Jet Li as Colonel Sun though. He's versatile!
Plus, there are some good Taiwanese Chinese actors/actresses who are good too.

#4 Lady Templar

Lady Templar

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 10:54 PM

Personally I'm absolutely not against the idea. Roger Moore suggested Cuba Gooding Jr. for the role 2/3 years ago...

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:08 PM

The question is whether Bond actually needs to be fluent in English or would he be just as acceptable if he has a strong Chinese accent or can't speak English at all?

Your sarcasm is heavy-handed and adds very little to a serious discussion. The "black Bond" discussion has mostly revolved around Colin Salmon, who is an English citizen with an English accent. The analogy you're trying to draw doesn't hold up.

#6 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:13 PM

Ditto. :)

I'm still up for Jet Li as Colonel Sun though. He's versatile!

View Post

#7 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:21 PM

The question is whether Bond actually needs to be fluent in English or would he be just as acceptable if he has a strong Chinese accent or can't speak English at all?

Your sarcasm is heavy-handed and adds very little to a serious discussion. The "black Bond" discussion has mostly revolved around Colin Salmon, who is an English citizen with an English accent. The analogy you're trying to draw doesn't hold up.

View Post

That's merely your interpretation. Goran Visjnic isn't English but Croatian, with a Croatian accent - he's considered for Bond. Hugh Jackman and Julian McMahon are not English either but Australian. While they may be able to do English accents, so can a lot of Chinese. Besides, I've already suggested a Chinese actor (Wong) who can speak without an accent, and only has an American accent.

My point is that if a Black Bond can be seriously considered, there is no reason why a Chinese Bond cannot either. Some of the suggestions in the Black Bond thread do not have English accents anyway but strong African ones.

If Bond can be Black, then who says the franchise cannot be widened to accommodate someone who has an accent, or the film turned into a foreign, independent movie? For some reason, however, I can see people saying that a Black Bond would be more acceptable than a Chinese Bond. Seems rather racist to me.

#8 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:22 PM

Lolz, this would be a cool role reversal...

Russell Wong as the hero and Jet Li as the villain...

Quite a departure from the "Romeo Must Die" film :)

One that would surely be shaking and not stirring to most Asian fans :)

#9 Lady Templar

Lady Templar

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

Sorry, my mistake, I just saw the topic dedicated to a black Bond... The debate worth since we're living in a multi-cultural world. Does Bond must be a true English gent with an English accent?

#10 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Guys, please for once let's just do this one discussion for the fun of it.
Some do it as a fantasy of course. Let's not go totally into the race problem which seem to bring on a lot of flames from so many sides.
This is just a discussion of a "Yes" possibility.
If yes, who could take the role etc.

C'mon, the Bondian spirit is not limited to one race anyways.
It's worldwide! :)

#11 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:33 PM

Guys, please for once let's just do this one discussion for the fun of it.
Some do it as a fantasy of course. Let's not go totally into the race problem which seem to bring on a lot of flames from so many sides.
This is just a discussion of a "Yes" possibility.
If yes, who could take the role etc.

C'mon, the Bondian spirit is not limited to one race anyways.
It's worldwide! :)

View Post

That was precisely my intention in the first place - for the fun of it - to suggest Bondian Oriental actors who could fit the role. If we had to limit them to those who can speak perfect English in an English accent, then that would defeat the purpose. If you're going to cast Chinese, then why go half-hearted into it.

The race card only arose because Spoon saw fit to turn this thread into one which was merely mocking the Black Bond thread.

I've suggested Wong anyway - he seems suitably Bondian and has more style than someone like Jet Li who I agree would be better as a villain than Bond.

#12 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

Welshcat - it's funny you brought this up. I'm currenly reading a novel titled Rain Storm by Barry Eisler, the third in a series of novels featuring a character named John Rain, who is a half-Japanese, half-American assassin who specializes in making his hits look natural. Eisler has been quoted as saying that he thinks Jet Li would make a good Rain (despite being Chinese, I guess). But now that you have brought up Russell Wong, I'm starting to think that maybe he'd be a good candidate for the role of John Rain, should the novels ever make it to the big screen (Eisler has said that the novels have been optioned, and hey, if he has no problem with Jet Li playing the role, then maybe Wong could be just as legit a casting choice despite their being Chinese as opposed to Japanese). So, you never know - while a Chinese actor may never play James Bond, maybe you'll still get to see an Asian Bond-type character.

#13 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:36 PM

Being Bondian is still Keeping the British End Up :)

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:41 PM

James Bond is WHITE.

James Bond is BRITISH.

James Bond is a MAN.

James Bond is HANDSOME.

James Bond is TALL.

James Bond is STRAIGHT.

Here's a Chinese James Bond though...

Posted Image

#15 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:45 PM

James Bond is WHITE.

James Bond is BRITISH.

James Bond is a MAN.

James Bond is HANDSOME.

James Bond is TALL.

James Bond is STRAIGHT.

Posted Image

View Post

Uhmmm... no one here said that he wasn't but thanks for getting the facts straight for those who don't know or can't really make the difference.

Good example though, Righty007 :)

#16 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:51 PM

James Bond is WHITE.

James Bond is BRITISH.

James Bond is a MAN.

James Bond is HANDSOME.

James Bond is TALL.

James Bond is STRAIGHT.

James Bond is FICTIONAL

Lovely poster, though, Righty007

Edited by ACE, 25 July 2005 - 11:52 PM.

#17 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:52 PM

James Bond is WHITE.

James Bond is BRITISH.

James Bond is a MAN.

James Bond is HANDSOME.

James Bond is TALL.

James Bond is STRAIGHT.

View Post

*sends Righty a fruit basket*

there's vodka in the nectarines :)

#18 k13oharts

k13oharts

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:57 PM

James Bond is FICTIONAL

View Post

Thanks for the addition ACE.
Fiction, yes. Although, brought to 'life' by 5 actors to the big screen already what's to stop the rest of the world from 'envisioning' their own Bond in their minds as they read a Bond novel?
It's inevitable cos it is fantasy.

#19 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:52 AM

How about a Hobbit Bond?

Or a Leprekhaun Bond?

Or how about a Sunni Muslim Bond?

Aboriginal...Palistinean...Meztizo Indian...

Can we just keep Bond the way he is and just cast him well, write good scripts and make quality films again, every two years?

#20 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:56 AM

I think that you're overthinking this a bit too much. It's not like EoN is actually going to announce that Jet Li is being cast as Bond #6. Chill out and keep the thread fun and positive.

BTW, I think that that Russell Wong guy looks very Bondian. Not so much with Jet Li.

Edited by bryonalston, 26 July 2005 - 01:57 AM.

#21 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:07 AM

Ok....Sorry. I didn't mean to be a stick in the mud.Russel Wong is an ok choice for a chinese Bond in parallel universe scenario. Although I think the guy from House Of Flying Daggers(not Andy Lau)would be really good. He has good martial arts skills and he's charismatic and suave; I liked him in 'The Returner' but he's Japanese. My choice anyway. :)

#22 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:09 AM

I think that you're overthinking this a bit too much. It's not like EoN is actually going to announce that Jet Li is being cast as Bond #6. Chill out and keep the thread fun and positive.

View Post

Perzackly!

I think all this ground was covered in the Black Bond thread. Ad nauseum.

How about David Yip?

ACE

#23 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:16 AM

Here he is:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0437580/

#24 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

No... Bond is British. He is not Black, Chinese, American, Canadian... none of that.

#25 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:50 AM

No... Bond is British. He is not Black, Chinese, American, Canadian... none of that.

View Post

Well I fully agree, but if Bond is allowed to be Black, then he certainly can be Chinese can't he?

#26 Prav_007

Prav_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:10 AM

I personally don't care the background info on any actor, as long they can convince me their are Bond. Them having the handsomeness and the strong acting ability certainly wins my support. As long as the British accent is present and they fit well in the tux, always make me attend the theatre regardless. In regards to a Chinese Actor,I think you know my opinion but I have mixed feelings towards Jet Li donning the tux.

#27 pieffra

pieffra

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:57 AM

When a Maori Bond, with Tattoo's all over the face and his body?
Who could act the part?

#28 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

As I quoted in regards to a black James Bond, there should not now nor should there ever be a James Bond that does not resemble the intended look of the character. It is not racist...it's just the face of an icon, like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc. There is no need to make this kind of a change.

#29 fatima

fatima

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

View Post

Australian ?????

#30 fatima

fatima

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:32 PM

Michael G.Wilson keeps saying Bond must be played by a British or Commonwealth actor. So doesn't that mean it OK for a Hong Kong actor to play him?????

Or for that matter an actor from: The Cameroon, Ghana, Malawi, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, Qatar, Singapore, Antigua, Barbados, Guyana, Belize, Grenada, Jamaica, St Lucia, Trinidad & Tabago, Figi, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Western Somoa...............

Or is it just that part of the British Commonwealth that includes Australia and New Zealand??????

Or is it just that Americans can't tell the difference between a British and an Australian accent??????? :) :) :)